Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im picking up my homie from Oakland airport. As I was cruising on I-80 East at about 70 mph, I notice a car on my right, later on, I looked over and saw that it was an Acura TL. I thought he just wanted to look at my car and tried to speed up a little bit, but he followed me.

So here it is, I dropped it in 3rd and punched it without warning. He didnt expect it and was somewhere behind me. When the freeway was clear I changed lanes so we could line up again. This time he had a car jump on me. As I redlined the 3rd, he was 2 cars behind me, then something f*9817234ed up happened. I misshift to 2nd!! My engine went crazy. its like hitting the goddamn brakes. By the time I shifted to 4th he was car and a half in front of me.

Next run and our last. We started from around 60 mph. Once again, I pulled about 2 cars on him in 3rd and was pulling slowly in 4rth but had to slow down cause there was some traffic in front of me. He kept on going though.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
You're lucky. I've heard really horriffic stories about people downshifting at high rpms. Things start blowing up quickly. Try to be careful man.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Originally posted by Redefined350z@Nov 29 2004, 02:11 PM
You're lucky. I've heard really horriffic stories about people downshifting at high rpms. Things start blowing up quickly. Try to be careful man.

Yeah, actually had someone blow their engine doing that while trying to race me. :headshake:

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Good job. I laugh every time I read the thread title about your fat friend. :lmfao:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
That's very true. Actually, I raced a Mustang GT in my old car (98 Accord V6) and I told my fat friend that he was the reason we lost! I was just joking with him and he knew it, but it was pretty funny. At the next stoplight race I told him to get out so I could win one...good times. I've ignored his phone calls and voice mails for about a year now and he still calls every weekend...kinda funny.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Soubds like you hit the rev limiter....a power s#ck for sure, as it's a fuel cut, I think...

Leans you out, but shouldn't 'blow'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Redefined350z@Nov 29 2004, 05:46 PM
That's very true. Actually, I raced a Mustang GT in my old car (98 Accord V6) and I told my fat friend that he was the reason we lost! I was just joking with him and he knew it, but it was pretty funny. At the next stoplight race I told him to get out so I could win one...good times. I've ignored his phone calls and voice mails for about a year now and he still calls every weekend...kinda funny.

I think he likes you :jerry:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Originally posted by Espirit+Dec 2 2004, 01:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Redefined350z
@Nov 29 2004, 05:46 PM

I think he likes you :jerry:

Actually, no s***, he does. He told me he was gay and had feelings for me. No joke. Very sickening and creepy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by lionkiller@Nov 29 2004, 05:01 PM
Soubds like you hit the rev limiter....a power s#ck for sure, as it's a fuel cut, I think...

Leans you out, but shouldn't 'blow'.

He said he went to shift into 4th at redline and hit 2nd instead. This causes the car to go way past redline possible 9,000-11,000r.p.m. or more depending on the car, speed, etc. The rev-limiter doesn't protect the vehicle from a mechanical downshift. If you downshift at high rpm into the wrong gear the ECU cannot do anthing to prevent damage and like he said would feel like hitting a brick wall. You need to monitor the Z closely for the next few weeks checking for any CEL that might pop up....Also try to see if it runs rough or if the acceleration is rough. If so there is a good chance you did internal damage to the engine. (bent valves, scored pistons, etc.) Chances are you have an overrev code stored in the ECU and the dealer will find it and deny a warranty claim if it has to come to that. Even if you can delete the code the dealer will know whats up and you will have to pay for a top end rebuild. I hope this isn't the case but monitor the vechicle carefully and try to never do that again. I know first hand of several people this has happened to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Car has been good to me. I didnt feel any difference in engine and CEL didnt come up. So I guess I lucked out on that one. I cant believe that I did that though, but with all the adrenaline in your blood, anything can happen. My friend that got a track model did the same thing and didnt have a problem(knocks on wood)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
How is this possible? Whenever I come close to misshifting, the tranny rejects it. For instance, I usually shift around 4 or 5K rpm, and there have been a few instances where I almost went into 1st instead of 3rd, but it's like the transmission woudln't allow it. It just won't get into gear until I move it over to third.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts