Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Making a new thread because the one I posted in Techinal, for some odd reason the other one was deleted, not sure why.

Howdy folks,
2006 350z 75k miles Touring
New member here, Just wanted to get some insight, I'm hoping I won't have to do much but probably will, unfortunately.

So my car has been hesitating to accelerate. One day I got off work and floored it and it slowly got up in the RPM, I noticed my Cold air intake was missing a screw so I screwed it back in thinking it was the issue. I don't think it was. The intake is old and has a slight crack near the opening so I'm not sure if it's getting more air than suppose to.

I recently lowered the car to ebiatch sports springs if that's what it's called, so I'm not sure if this could have any effect.

My theory is that it's stuck in some "limp mode" I'm been looking around at. The car thinks it's slipping so it won't let me gas it. I went into a parking lot and did a donut, VDC light on and SLIP light on. Turned car off and on and she was working like before. Two days later I get off work on my way home the same thing happen, went to a parking lot, did a donut and she was working like before again.

I'm not sure what to do, Honestly really stumped here as I'm still a fairly new Z owner. CEL is on but it's for a neutral safety switch, and my tire sensor is on because of aftermarket tires.

Any help/Suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Here is a video of what it was doing, not sure if you'll get much out of it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
First- that video didn't help at all. Second, have you used a scan tool to check for any codes held in memory? Check both ECM and BCM sections and report back. When did this hesitation first start?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First- that video didn't help at all. Second, have you used a scan tool to check for any codes held in memory? Check both ECM and BCM sections and report back. When did this hesitation first start?
No codes, the CEL is on due to my neutral safety switch. This just started about 3 days ago. It hasn't been doing it when I run errands, just when I get off work.

I can't check the BCM and ECM without a heavy duty code scanner I assume and I can't afford one.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Not sure what a "neutral safety switch" is? Also, the tire pressure sensors have nothing to do with aftermarket tires. What tire sizes are you running F & R?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what a "neutral safety switch" is? Also, the tire pressure sensors have nothing to do with aftermarket tires. What tire sizes are you running F & R?
You have the same guess as me on the neutral safety switch.
17’s front and rear.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Did you pull the code for a "neutral safety switch" yourself, or did someone just tell you that?
As for tire size, are you running a staggered size, like 225/40-18 F and 245/40-18 R? Or maybe a square setup with all tires the same size front and rear? VDC may activate limp mode if there's a difference in rolling diameter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you pull the code for a "neutral safety switch" yourself, or did someone just tell you that?
As for tire size, are you running a staggered size, like 225/40-18 F and 245/40-18 R? Or maybe a square setup with all tires the same size front and rear? VDC may activate limp mode if there's a difference in rolling diameter.
I went to three different auto zones and a friend of mine, all read the same code and I looked at it myself.

Tire size all square, all the same, no bigger no smaller. All the same all around.

Was working perfectly fine yesterday and today after leaving work, it did it again. I guess my vehicle doesn't like the night time.

I really appreciate you trying to help me out with this. Would you have any idea what it could be with the knowledge I've provided or have I not provided enough? I'm not rushing or anything, just trying to see what else you may need to help me out.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
OK, that makes more sense. Your square setup is probably not the cause, so let's move onto the P0850 code. After a brief search, here's a possible solution from another thread:

The neutral-safety switch is located on the bottom of the manual transmission, with a harness that runs to the connector on the top side of the transmission. It's a simple on-off switch that can be tested with an ohmmeter or continuity tester connected to the two pins in the harness connector and by shifting the trans in and out of gear. Rockauto.com has a picture of it on their site; search Airtex/Wells #1S5716. Replacement is pretty much put a drain bucket underneath the switch, unscrew the old one and install the new one, then top off the gear oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, that makes more sense. Your square setup is probably not the cause, so let's move onto the P0850 code. After a brief search, here's a possible solution from another thread:

The neutral-safety switch is located on the bottom of the manual transmission, with a harness that runs to the connector on the top side of the transmission. It's a simple on-off switch that can be tested with an ohmmeter or continuity tester connected to the two pins in the harness connector and by shifting the trans in and out of gear. Rockauto.com has a picture of it on their site; search Airtex/Wells #1S5716. Replacement is pretty much put a drain bucket underneath the switch, unscrew the old one and install the new one, then top off the gear oil.
ok thanks for the instructions,

As far as the issue goes I believe it's my headlights, I did a test today to confirm it and I was correct. When I have them on, pedal to the medal my car slowly accelerates like in limp mode, quickly turning them off it jolts and it actually gets going. Really not sure where to start though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check all of the engine ground wiring and fix the cracked intake pipe. The MAF will never read correctly if the crack is after the MAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check all of the engine ground wiring and fix the cracked intake pipe. The MAF will never read correctly if the crack is after the MAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I plan on ordering a new intake, Would you mind recommending one by any chance? Not sure if I should get the long tube or the short tube on Z1.

As far as the engine ground wiring, I've got hardly any idea how I would do that I'd have to look up a video.

Upon looking at my rear taillights, My right rear has water in it, like just still water chillin' inside. I assume this would cause the ECU to freak out or am I wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I plan on ordering a new intake, Would you mind recommending one by any chance? Not sure if I should get the long tube or the short tube on Z1.

As far as the engine ground wiring, I've got hardly any idea how I would do that I'd have to look up a video.

Upon looking at my rear taillights, My right rear has water in it, like just still water chillin' inside. I assume this would cause the ECU to freak out or am I wrong?
Ask Z1 what they recommend. They’ve first class guys that you can trust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts