Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hooking up an xbox in my car and have tried to hardwire my AC power converter but everytime I try I blow a fuse in it. I have tried running it straight to the battery, to the back of my cigarette lighter, and to the fuse box but blows a fuse every time. It only will work if I plug it into my cigarette adapter the normal way.

Also I bought a 140 watt one and when I press the power button on the xbox it shuts itself off. Do you think the 140watt one isnt strrong enough?

·
Registered
785 Posts
answer to your two part question...
1) the reason it keeps blowing a fuse is that it is going through the wire without the end cigarette lighter adapter, and i will put all my money on the fact that that cigarette lighter adapter has some little goodies inside that does something to the power. take a long hard look at your manual and see what it recommends to hardwire the converter.

2) when the converter does power up and the xbox is plugged in, you say it just shuts off as so as it turns on? That is generally the sign that there is not enough power, however it seems 140 watts should be enough to run the xbox. Read the manual and see what it says about the unit shutting itself off (if you mean the converter shuts itself off)

I only played around with the idea of a power converter so i really didnt do too much research. This site(http://www.mp3car.com) may also be able to help you out... use search :)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok it works but I have to have the car running for it to work.

As for the hardwiring part I am not sure still

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/quote]

Yeah I had a ground to my chassis.

·
Registered
909 Posts
[/quote]

That's probably because it's only hooked up to the AC source.
I hooked mine to CONSTANT ON but between that and the power inverter I hooked up a remote ON/OFF switch so I can still turn it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts