Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey hows it goin i was at a kuhmo sponsored show this weekend and i was driving to the show area and the kuhmo rep stopped me and was like hey we will give u tires to do the burnout contest ( the ones that burn red smoke) we will put them on and everything so i was like let me think about it well i went to look at my fuse to pull it and **** it is three fuses in one abs abs and ingition so i asked everyone what they thought and no one knew and **** that pissed me of cause i could have easily won the two hundred dollars so some one please help me figure this out

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey hows it goin i was at a kuhmo sponsored show this weekend and i was driving to the show area and the kuhmo rep stopped me and was like hey we will give u tires to do the burnout contest ( the ones that burn red smoke) we will put them on and everything so i was like let me think about it well i went to look at my fuse to pull it and **** it is three fuses in one abs abs and ingition so i asked everyone what they thought and no one knew and **** that pissed me of cause i could have easily won the two hundred dollars so some one please help me figure this out
the one labeled stop lamps in the drivers compartment

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hopefully, you all realize this is a 5 year old thread. Thinking the original poster is long gone.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
If you want a well thought out answer, ask a well thought out question. GIGO!
Um, around here we try to avoid busting peoples chops. Just saying, ya know? :cheers:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
1. Open the hood.
2. Remove the cover for the lid that covers the Master Brake Cylinder
3. Disconnect the ABS pump (which also controls TCS/VDC)
4. Do a burnout
5. ?
6. Profit (by $200, apparently)

On the cars with TCS there's only one giant connecter to disconnect. For the cars with VDC, it's a little more complex but the theory still holds. I'm not sure which one to disconnect in that instance.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Curious as to how ABS affects burnouts to begin with??????

·
Registered
772 Posts
Basically this is my understanding of the burnout ins and outs in the Touring 350Zs. The track model Z's are a different thing, and something I know nothing about so wont go there...
No I do not condone burnouts on the street, but on the track etc I say go for it if you can afford the tyres.

If you turn off the TRC, you will still not be able to do a static burnout due to the EBC - electronic brake control, which has something to do with your ABS also.

To enable my car to be able to do this, I simply wired a switch in before my ABS fuse, so that when the switch is off, the fuse isn't getting power, therefore the ABS (and EBC) will not work. NOTE - you will also loose your brake lights if you pull the fuse/turn the switch off.

Now to do said burnout, I flick my switch, ensure TRC is off, select 2nd gear, bring rpms to around 4500 - 5000, side step clutch and quickly move left foot to the brake pedal. Modulating the brake pedal will allow you to creep the car forward or sit on the spot. Very handy for tyre warming burnouts before your 1/4 mile run.

I have used this method a couple of times, and never had any dramas. after the burnout is completed, I flick the switch back and hey presto, everything works as it should.

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's not the ABS specifically, but the EBC that works in conjunction with the ABS. I'm not sure exactly on the witchcraft behind it all, so will let someone for more knowledgable chime in on that on. But the same thing also plays havoc with trail braking on the track apparently, as it basically cuts power to the motor. (Or so I understand from my limited research into the subject.)

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Rear wheels spinning at a million miles an hour , front wheels practically stationary, or just crawling along. The ABS computer thinks you've locked the fronts up and reduces the front caliper pressure.

It makes it difficult, if not impossible, to do a static/sitting burnout (or a brake job, depending on what you call it) since you can't control the front brakes.

Aside from monk's suggestion, if you want to do some hardware mods specifically for doing burnouts I think you'd be better off installing a line locker.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts