Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Well, I’m finally about to make the plunge and purchase an ’06 Z. Only problem is that my local dealer is having an issue locating a Magnetic Black Track or Grand Touring model. According to him only about 4-5% of Z’s come black. I have no reason to doubt him. Seems like all the Z’s I see tooling around are Silverstone. It’s weird because when the Z32 was the hot car to have, it seemed like 50% of them were black!

In any event, I can’t wait!

Ronin Z

·
Registered
798 Posts
wow... 4-5%... I am not sure about the figures but I hope he is able to locate one for you.... Congrats!!! and definitely ENJOY!!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Black is beautiful, like TPIACE said though the main problem is trying to keep them looking beautiful. I would of loved to have gotten a SB but knew I would not have the time to put in the effort to keep it looking good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love the CS and the SB, just happened that the best deal was on the silver at the time I got mine, but every time I pass a black one I have to stop and stare

·
Registered
312 Posts
I love the CS and the SB, just happened that the best deal was on the silver at the time I got mine, but every time I pass a black one I have to stop and stare

Same here. I wanted SB, but the dealer had a CS Track, since they wanted to make room for the 05 models, I got an umbelievable deal. I like the way carbon fiber looks on the CS too, not as noticable on SB. But if they had a SB and a CS, I would have taken the SB.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yeah CF just doesnt work for me on black

which is strange because when i bought my car i envisioned a CF kit, but ive bought CF B-pillars that dont look good, CF eye lids that dont like good

i dont know why, the CF almost looks a faded brown panel from afar

CF is best on white imo

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMO what makes the CF look work is a large contrast in color between the CF part and the car. With black, the contrast just isn't there.

But I don't see a lot of CF in my future, so the search continues for a black Z.

Ronin Z

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Black is the heaviest color = slow.
PPW is the lightest color = fast.

Drive with care, you hear? :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Black is the heaviest color = slow.
PPW is the lightest color = fast.

Drive with care, you hear? :shiftdrive:
So following that logic... where do DB and Redline fit in? And does the speed of an Interlagos Fire car vary with sun angle? :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ah - excellent questions, my son. Answers lie in atomic weights and "things of that nature." Better off to not ask of such things. Just pull safely off the road when a PPW approaches in your mirror. :rolf2:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sigh... so I'm still waiting for a Magnetic Black to appear in the northern California area.

In the meantime the dealer called again and asked if I was sure I didn't want the 1 Interlagos Fire, 1 PPW or one of the 4 Silverstones he had on the lot. I told him I was sure.

BTW when I was on the lot I got a good look at an Interlagos Fire parked next to a customers Brickyard... even without the colorshifting effect of the I. Fire, they are distinctly different colors. Even though they appear quite similar in photos.

Anyway, I am still awaiting the joys of Z ownership.

RZ out

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
RZ,

Don't feel bad.. I wanted a CS at first and couldn't get it in the Performance trim I wanted. So my dealer found me a SB Performance in CT. I took one look and fell in love. There were only 4 Performance models on the entire east coast when I was lookin.

·
Registered
223 Posts
SB is the best for shine, but i have to clean the thing like everyday to keep it looking shiny. I complained about how pain in the a** it is , but i wouldnt have it any other color.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
It's not so bad man, I don't daily drive mine tho. Basically if I wash it, I'll cover it when I dont plan on taking it out that day. Keeps the dust at bay. After two or three drives or days out, whichever is longer, I re-wash. Wax every other wash, and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whats the diff between Super black and Magnetic Black? Metal Flake?

As far as I know Super Black was just a standard clearcoat paint, while the new Magnetic Black is a pearl paint. As for visual differences, I couldn't tell you... since I've yet to see a Magnetic Black in real life. :cry:

RZ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts