Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Enthusiast model. While searching on this board I've seen some common problems with these cars. Have the follow issues been fixed since '03?

-Tire wear problem

-6MT tranny issues (failures)

-Paint issues

Is there anything else (common problems) with these vehicles? What does everyone get as a common MPG?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
The tire wear problem should be gone. I believe they have changed some of the components of the front suspension, along with a new type of tire and wheel size.

Tranny isn't an issue. For the most part, they work fine. On the older models, you would get a crunchy or knocking sound, which was normal.

Couldn't tell you about the paint. Most companies now don't invest much money into paint jobs.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've got just about 3k on my '05 Enthusiast. So far - zero problems. :irock:

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 05 Enthusiast hasnt seen any problems yet. It justs gets it all day long. Average road trip mileage for me has been 23-27 MPG depending on the leadfoot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I recently purchased an '04 slightly used. I thought the tranny was acting up, a nice "clunk" into second, but I found out that if I shift with the stick close to the shift wall (pulling toward me while engaging second), that goes away. Only issue I have now, is the passenger window doesn't like to go up sometimes. It may be off track. Nothing an adjustment at the dealer cant fix. Other than that, she's fine.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I'm looking at the Enthusiast model. While searching on this board I've seen some common problems with these cars. Have the follow issues been fixed since '03?

-Tire wear problem

-Paint issues

Is there anything else (common problems) with these vehicles? What does everyone get as a common MPG?

Thanks!

You should be fine other than the paint. Like Smooth says.. companies today seem to have this problem.

All in all, I think you will love the Z. :)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I have 18K miles on my 05 enthusiast and no problems... UY is a biatch to color match though...

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have the follow issues been fixed since '03?
It depends specifically on the car in question.

-Tire wear problem
my 04.5 had the feathering issue. New tires and a toe adjustment solved the problem (free of charge).

not sure but I think the tranny is constantly being updated. my tranny is fine. 2nd gear acts a little retarded sometimes but nothing bad enough to go having the tranny replaced.

-Paint issues
They all have crappy paint. You will learn to live with rock chips. After a few months I stopped keeping track of new chips.

Is there anything else (common problems) with these vehicles?
there are all kinds of potential problems you could have. Most of them are minor. I had a shutter valve in the gas tank that had to be repalced because I could never get a full tank of gas. Given the minor issues I've had, would I do it all again? I wouldn't even have to think twice. In a heartbeat.

What does everyone get as a common MPG?
Depends entirely on where/how you drive. I average about 22mpg mixed city/highway spirited/relaxed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It depends specifically on the car in question.

my 04.5 had the feathering issue. New tires and a toe adjustment solved the problem (free of charge).

not sure but I think the tranny is constantly being updated. my tranny is fine. 2nd gear acts a little retarded sometimes but nothing bad enough to go having the tranny replaced.

They all have crappy paint. You will learn to live with rock chips. After a few months I stopped keeping track of new chips.

there are all kinds of potential problems you could have. Most of them are minor. I had a shutter valve in the gas tank that had to be repalced because I could never get a full tank of gas. Given the minor issues I've had, would I do it all again? I wouldn't even have to think twice. In a heartbeat.

Depends entirely on where/how you drive. I average about 22mpg mixed city/highway spirited/relaxed.

tranny sucks, very loud clunking sounds while disengaging the clutch. 2nd, and 3rd gear click while going into gear if you get the car i advice getting an extended warrenty. i only have 2,800 miles on my car and ive been driving stick since i was 16 i am now 21.
my nx2000 had a stronger transmission than this car.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
tranny sucks, very loud clunking sounds while disengaging the clutch. 2nd, and 3rd gear click while going into gear if you get the car i advice getting an extended warrenty. i only have 2,800 miles on my car and ive been driving stick since i was 16 i am now 21.
my nx2000 had a stronger transmission than this car.

I would really have that looked at. FWIW, my TOB made noise for the first few thousand miles..

I'm curious as to how you are comparing "strength" between your nx2000 and 350z trans. :lmfao: :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 2006 Enthusiast coupe since March 2006, with about 5k on the clock. I have no major problems to report as far as tire feathering or tranny issues. The transmission makes some odd noises but everything seems to be working alright. The paint does suck a bit, but it wouldn't deter me from buying the car all over again. In fact I knew about the paint issues before buying. From 6 feet away you probably wouldn't notice anyway. One irritation is when, on hot days, I hit the auto-up button for the driver side window and the window goes all the way up, then about 1/3 of the way back down all on its own. It's not a major issue because I can still get the window to go all the way up and seal by pressing and holding the button, but it's kind of an irritation nonetheless. Gas mileage isn't too great, but I think that might be my fault :shiftdrive:

Go buy one. You will enjoy it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe the tire wear issue was solved with the 04 model, I've got an 05 touring and have had neither tire, tranny, nor paint problems in the year I've had it. I get around 15mpg but it is all city driving.

The Bose stereo is a total joke though, be prepared to replace the whole thing (I'm not very picky and I could not stand it after 5 months). Otherwise I love the car :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
It has been 3 weeks and 1400 miles on my 2006 Touring 6MT. No problems, tranny seems a little weird, but my previous car was a 2006 Accord EX v6 6MT, so that can be comparing apples to oranges. Only issue I have so far is that there appears to be a rattle coming from the 3 gauge cluster on the center of the dash where the oil pressure-volt meter- and trip comp is located. Other than that, I love the car. Get it man, you will love it too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I believe the tire wear issue was solved with the 04 model, I've got an 05 touring and have had neither tire, tranny, nor paint problems in the year I've had it. I get around 15mpg but it is all city driving.

The Bose stereo is a total joke though, be prepared to replace the whole thing (I'm not very picky and I could not stand it after 5 months). Otherwise I love the car :)
I may be wrong here, but I did not think the Enthusiast trim was available with the Bose stereo option? (The original poster mentioned the Enthusiast model). At any rate, the regular factory is also a joke (a really, really bad joke) but at least you don't pay extra for it! I just recently had the normal factory stereo replaced with some good aftermarket stuff, and when I got the stock speakers back and inspected them I was actually insulted! LOL, I couldn't believe anybody can sleep at night putting such pieces or crap into a $30k automobile.

Those Bose systems are also bogus because they give you a 'subwoofer' without any sort of sealed enclosure around it, so it's not really worth a ****. If I were you I would get the base level stereo, then swap it out later if you feel so inclined. But an extra $1000 or whatever for the Blose is a rip off.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
I've got very thin paint on my '06. Got lots of little scratches all over the car from just washing it. Yes, I know how to wash the car, I used to be a detailer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts