Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 350z's brother and i have a couple questions about Mids & Highs (sp?). I know they are door speakers, but can someone with a better understanding of them, elaborate on them and fill me in? Im kinda lost on what they are exactly. Im asking because im looking to get some new speakers. I dont need the thump thump, just something that sounds nice. If you have any suggestions, i'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
well mids and highs are speakers that cover the mid to high range of sound frequency.

sound consist of waves that are measured in hertz (Hz)

Humans can hear frequencies in the range of ~20-20,000 Hz

lows (subwoofers) generally cover the range of 20 hertz to 100 Hz
these speakers are typically 8-15 inches in diameter

mids (woofers, midbass, etc..) cover 100 Hz to ~3k Hz
these speakers are typically 4-7 inches in diameter

highs (tweeters) cover ~3k Hz to 20k Hz
these speakers are typically 1 inch in diameter

here is a typically component set (mid and high)

on the left is your midrange driver, 6.5 inches in diameter
usually made of plastic, paper, or some type of composite material

on the right is your tweeter or high driver, 1 inch in diameter
usually made of plastic, silk, or metal

In the middle is the crossover, which directs the appropriate frequencies to the appropriate driver.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
I have been in car audio for a long time now.. still my favorite brand by far is Infinity. The are the makers of Very expensive home audio speakers and they use the same technology in their car audio stuff. I have a full infinity setup in my car:

6.5" Infinity Kappa Perfect Components up front

2x 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect Subwoofers in the back.

I am pushing everything with JBL amps.

The sound is amazing.

Even with the subs turned off the components are loud as **** and have very good bass response. Zero distortion all the way till redline

Infinity makes 3 lines of speakers based on your budget.

If you shop ebay you can expect these prices

Low end: Infinity Reference ~$110

middle: Infintiy Kappa ~$160

high end: Infinity Kappa Perfect ~$200

These will all sound really good. Its just a matter of how good you want them to sound and how much money you got.

Also a thing to note is the power ratings on these. If you are not going to add external amplifiers, then I would shy away from the Kappas or Perfects and get the reference series.

If REALLY loud and clear is what you want you will need external amplifiers and the Kappas or Perfects.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If u want amazing sound, clarity, smoothness at high levels, and just a great overall speaker, i have the three best choices for u if u can afford them...

Boston Acoustics Proseries: $450.00/pair
Boston Acoustics Z6 series: $999.99/pair
MB Quart Q series: $1200.00/pair

The MB quarts are sick, I personally have the Boston Z series in my car, one pair, amped with a 300/2 JL audio amp, and they are sick man, its a 500watt rms speaker. So if u want a great sounding speaker, full-range(meaning its got high, low, and mid) check them out

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
those are great speakers as well. I just thought I would offer a more price friendly speaker suggestion.. I dont really think that spending 3 times more money on my car audio system would have yielded much better results than i have gotten. The human hearing is only so good. Sure computers and digital meters can tell the difference but can your ears? and is it worth and extra 1000$ ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the stock Bose (coughs lightly) "premium" system in my Z but was wondering if I could switch out them for the low end infinity speakers? I want the rear speaker wall behind the seats to retain the stock look. Also, do you have pics of your subs and how you put them in? I saw a great tri-sub setup on a site and was going to fabricate something like it for under the back hatch.

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
the components are what i posted a picture of.

In a component set, the mids and highs come as separate speakers or "components"

Also components come with an external crossover for much better frequency distribution.

Components are generally better in every respect. UNLESS you cant find an accptable spot for the external tweeter. Then you can go with a 2-way or 3 way.

2-way has a mid and a high, the tweeter being mounted in the center of the mid cone.

3-way has a mid and two separate highs, this way you get a better breakup of frequencies without an external crossover.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the components are what i posted a picture of.

In a component set, the mids and highs come as separate speakers or "components" :doh:

Also components come with an external crossover for much better frequency distribution.

Components are generally better in every respect. UNLESS you cant find an accptable spot for the external tweeter. Then you can go with a 2-way or 3 way.

2-way has a mid and a high, the tweeter being mounted in the center of the mid cone.

3-way has a mid and two separate highs, this way you get a better breakup of frequencies without an external crossover.

Where exactly do you recommend placing the tweeter? I can only make one cut in the door panel!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts