Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
That saying about a six-pack being made in the kitchen is true. It doesn't matter how many crunches you do or whatever. If you eat more than you burn, then you're going to gain weight. Also, theres no such thing as spot-reduction of fat (i.e. doing crunches won't burn off just belly fat). An important part of getting a toned physique is also cardio and weight training. A good way to get started with weight training is with compound exercises. The guys at the gym who are ripped are, more likely than not, advanced lifters, hence, they also include more isolation exercises in their routines.

I generally lift weights 3 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week as well. I keep my diet fairly restricted, but I have a sweet tooth, and occasionally I have to eat the brownie a la mode.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
QUOTE (Brrcats @ Mar 13 2008, 06:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=506178
For me the abs are always the last thing to show. I am literally right on the verge of showing a 6 pack. I think during my next prime phase I will be able to acheive it. We'll see. I would say I've already dropped a fair amount of width from my stomach in the past two months.

I'm hoping to get the girl 6-pack one day -- I've dropped 1.5 inches from my waist in 1 month! w00t!

·
5,437 Posts
QUOTE (SmoothZ @ Feb 20 2008, 10:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=495431
and standing leaps onto a chair (try 15 the first try and tell me you didn't run out of breath).

Yeah, just tried that, and it's a lot harder than it sounds! I did all 15, but the last one, I almost fell through the floor when I jumped off the chair! Good leg workout. It will run you out of breath tho, you're right (and doin it at 6,000 ft elevation in my hotel in Montana probably didn't help!).

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
QUOTE (bxzcd @ Mar 21 2008, 01:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=508862
That saying about a six-pack being made in the kitchen is true. It doesn't matter how many crunches you do or whatever. If you eat more than you burn, then you're going to gain weight. Also, theres no such thing as spot-reduction of fat (i.e. doing crunches won't burn off just belly fat). An important part of getting a toned physique is also cardio and weight training. A good way to get started with weight training is with compound exercises. The guys at the gym who are ripped are, more likely than not, advanced lifters, hence, they also include more isolation exercises in their routines.

I generally lift weights 3 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week as well. I keep my diet fairly restricted, but I have a sweet tooth, and occasionally I have to eat the brownie a la mode.
Core workout routines FTW!

QUOTE (Jetpilot718 @ Mar 22 2008, 10:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=509220
Yeah, just tried that, and it's a lot harder than it sounds! I did all 15, but the last one, I almost fell through the floor when I jumped off the chair! Good leg workout. It will run you out of breath tho, you're right (and doin it at 6,000 ft elevation in my hotel in Montana probably didn't help!).
:lol: I can't imagine doing that at 6000ft, but I've done several sets of those (25 each set) as part of a routine and it hurts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Abs are made in the kitchen. You have to eat right and actually see it through.
Muscles are built by hard work either in daily activities or the gym. So if you want a rippling 6 pack you have to build the muscles to see them!
I am so tired of seeing people who go to the gym who have huge beer bellies and they just do 10 sets of bench and then they leave. Why even workout? (if you want to call that a workout) Your body learns how to deal with strain when is comes to exercising. Its called a plateau. Your body gets used to stress you are putting on your muscles and eventually you will not grow in strength or size or endurance. You have to F****** push yourself. Yes that means when you leave the gym you should be sweating and feeling like you actually did something besides walk around and check out the opposite sex and make conversation.
If people are actually serious about getting in shape they would be at the gym sweating their asses off doing many different exercises not just focusing on the ones that will make them look good.
I love doing squats it is easily my favorite exercise. It is also one of the most physically tiring things you can do but its worth the sweat and pain.
Working your abs is great I agree. But i also can't stand guys with big upper bodies and fucking chicken legs. I believe that exercise should be total fitness. Not just your biceps abs and chest.

Sorry for ranting I just felt the need.
All the exercises in this thread are great ab workouts BTW.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
QUOTE (z'sowntheroad @ Mar 10 2009, 06:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=570663
Yes that means when you leave the gym you should be sweating and feeling like you actually did something besides walk around...
Does that include getting dizzy and almost passing out? I've had a few moments where the blood rushed to my head and made me feel light-headed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
QUOTE (SmoothZ @ Mar 10 2009, 07:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=570668
Does that include getting dizzy and almost passing out? I've had a few moments where the blood rushed to my head and made me feel light-headed.
I hear breathing properly can counteract that feeling.... :)
Do you focus on cardio a lot smooth Z? Because that euphoric feeling might be the high level of endorphins released when doing a lot of cardio work.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Whenever I go to the gym, I mostly concentrate on the treadmill. Once (or twice or thrice), I went a little overboard and got sea-sick when I got off the machine. While trying to gain my balance, I would almost puke. People around me were probably thinking, "wusss."

Then, I try to mix it up with some exercise machines that do crunching and twisting motion. Then, some toning ones for the legs and chest. Asides from the 6 pack, I wanna replace my man-boobs with the chisheled chest I once had...20 years ago.

Also, I *try* to watch what I eat. When I do eat out, I would replace let's say fries with some dessert. But, I try to not have both. And, I've adapted to drinking lite beer instead of real beer.

Lastly, I don't just park away from the entrances to keep my Z safe, but, also to force me to walk just a little longer a little further.

Sometimes, it feels like a losing battle especially since I know I not doing what I'm supposed to and doing things I know I'm not suppose to. But, dammit, I shall persevere....hopefully.

·
Registered
187 Posts
QUOTE (Black Z Eddie @ Mar 10 2009, 10:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=570688
Whenever I go to the gym, I mostly concentrate on the treadmill. Once (or twice or thrice), I went a little overboard and got sea-sick when I got off the machine. While trying to gain my balance, I would almost puke. People around me were probably thinking, "wusss."

Then, I try to mix it up with some exercise machines that do crunching and twisting motion. Then, some toning ones for the legs and chest. Asides from the 6 pack, I wanna replace my man-boobs with the chisheled chest I once had...20 years ago.

Also, I *try* to watch what I eat. When I do eat out, I would replace let's say fries with some dessert. But, I try to not have both. And, I've adapted to drinking lite beer instead of real beer.

Lastly, I don't just park away from the entrances to keep my Z safe, but, also to force me to walk just a little longer a little further.

Sometimes, it feels like a losing battle especially since I know I not doing what I'm supposed to and doing things I know I'm not suppose to. But, dammit, I shall persevere....hopefully.
I like the quote that some might find stupid because its from star wars. But hey I think Yoda is a bad ass.
"Do or not do, there is no try."
Hey man i totally respect that your actually going to the gym and getting into shape. Better than most Americans who would rather live lazy ass lives and watch tv then when they get older and have many disorders they treat them with prescription pills that they should not need.

I think you should worry a lot less about what other people think. More importantly its what you think about yourself that counts. People like to go to the gym to watch other people workout and to socialize but that's because they are there for the wrong reasons. I mean how often have you had a legitimate conversation about a decline bench or a chin up bar. I think rarely. :banghead:

Your doing all the right things don't push yourself too far where you might hurt yourself. Also watch out for those knees if running on the treadmill bothers them at all i would recommend and elliptical or an arc trainer if they have those at your gym. :yourock: :yourock:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cardio gets you there, muscle keeps you there.

If you run your ass off and stop, you will gain back, unless you modify your diet. Building muscle helps you burn calories/fat.

Abs wont show unless you drop the cuddly layer covering them. Take a week, eat how you eat, count your calorie intake and average it out. Then drop 1000 a day, thats a good starting point.

I dont practice what i preach anymore though, im broken down and like beer. :p

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
:thatsfunny: broken down.... I'm with you there. :beer:

I suggest running in the mornings before you eat breakfast. Eat more green veggies and less bread/sandwiches. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/spG5YPJLRIY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/spG5YPJLRIY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9bMteFx8LbM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9bMteFx8LbM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

21 - 35 of 35 Posts