Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many attempts have been made to put together an all on one car computer that does Music - [Mp3, WAV, CD], Movies - [DVD, AVI, MPEG], GPS, Sat Radio [XM, SIRIUS], and more. These attempts always seem to lack a major component, are bulky, or way too expensive! Welcome to the world of goZpc running RoadRunner! <div align="CENTER">http://www.gozpc.com

The above are just a few screen shots of what this CarPC/Carputer has to offer. As one can see, every aspect from music, movies, GPS, Satelite radio, to mobile connectivity and computing is included in a simple to use software interface. In addition, all this is packaged in a single box with Dolby Digital 5.1 outputs! Installation is a trivial as:
  1. Powering the PC up.
  2. Connecting the monitors VGA and USB cable.
  3. Connecting the XM and GPS receiver.
  4. Connecting the audio outputs to an amp or receiver.
  5. Turning your car on!

As you know, InCarPCs, CarPC, Carputers, or whatever the **** you want to call them or becoming more and more popular. Unfortunately, if you are not tech savy, they are not the most easiest thing to build. And once you get the physical hardware together, getting the software to work with the front end and all the external peripherals is also a challenge. Once again, for all the computer savvy people, it definitely is possible. But for those that want to have a box that does it all, here's the gozpc solution.

As you know, there are a host of different front end / skin applications that integrate everything to one main user interface. So along with Guino's RoadRunner, we have introduced an all in one solution for the ultimate in car music/video/DVD/GPS/Sat Radio/computing/phone/ anything your mind can think of tool!

Piecing together all the functionality of the goZpc via an Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, etc would cost on the order of $6,000 - $8,000. In addition, there will be multiple boxes as well as a cabling mess. goZpc is available at a fraction of the above price and is years ahead of its time. Since the product is a PC, all new technology will be introduced as upgrades. Thus, features like phone control, OBDII car diganostics, etc are already a step away. This project is a continual work in progress. Please feel free to check out: http://www.gozpc.com and forward all questions to: [email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
djkern;
Thanks for inquiring...Final pricing hasnt been set yet. I am working with a few high end shops in So Cal (Speakerworks, Al & Eds, Audio Shoppe, Wired for Sound, and On the Go Audio). Dealer price will be somewhere along the lines of 1700ish. I am trying to get my licensing with Microsoft and GPS software down. That's whats killing me right now. I am currently more focused on getting this unit in cars for further testing and marketability then making $$ on it. Thus, my pricing now will be on the order of $1500-$1700 depending on a few options. PLease let me know if you have any other questions, comments, or concerns...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Why WinXP PRO? Couldn't you save a bit on the OS with Home, it's not like it's gonna be connected to a domain, is it?

You might also consider toning down on the flash a bit on the website (or making it an option) and cleaning up the graphics. A quality site will go a long way to making people feel you sell a quality product.

Good luck with this, I looked into it, would have made a go at it if support was not an issue. The last thing I want is people calling me saying "How come when it's 10F outside and I boot the car up in the morning freezes on the bios screen" and junk like that.

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris; Thanks for the reply! Yea the website is in the process of a makeover. I had it done overseas and the girl that did it for me got flash happy! So hopefully by the end of the month I'll have a more professional easy on the eye site. But thanks for bringing it to my attention so now i'll bump up the priority on it! As far as windows XP Pro, we just had the OS handy and went with it. No particular reason for not using XP home. The idea is to make some $$ on this and eventually fund the overhaul into Linux. We'll see where that goes. I have had it in my car for about 8 months and no catastrohic problems. The weather does not get 10F in southern cal but it has made it though some ridiculously hot weather! Regards - Ali

·
Registered
620 Posts
The Pro vs Home was just an effort to try and save you some on cost and system overhead. I have also tried Media Center and Tablet edition and went back to home. Media Center is neat but MS is to controlling and narrow minded to let me do what I want (and it's a resource hog). I may try Tablet edition again when I finish some of my other projects to see if I can get anything useful out of it.

On the temperature front, what I did with mine was have it draw air from under the glove box, that air seems to stay cool even on the hottest days. I have run my system parked with the windows up for hours on end in the summer. The interior gets hot but my CPU has never even been close to the limits. My configuration has my case upside down, something I thought might make the heat sink inefficient but it turns out, it has way more heat sink than it needs so it has not been a problem.

Just throwing stuff out there.

Chris

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Wow....I just went to the doman, watched the flash, entered the site and nothing is there!!!!! hmmmm........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts