Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been meaning to make this post for a few days. I didnt want this post to get lost in the feathering thread, but I will post a link in that thread to this one.

My setup has been Eibach springs and 19" Volks with several different tire selections over the course of 2 years (2 different Z's)

On my 2003 Z, I had feathering on the stock tires (18s). Got a free set of tires from Nissan, put on the Eibach springs, and the feathering returned. I purchased my Volk 19" wheels with Goodyear Eagle gsd1(?) tires at about 14k miles. Feathering never returned. I had the car until about 28k miles.

On my 2004 Z, I immediately put the same Volk wheels on with Toyo tires along with some new Eibach springs. Through 18k miles I never experienced feathering. Installed Falken tires and didn’t have feathering either. So at about 28k miles, I pulled my volks off to get refinished and installed some new stock 17" wheels and tires. Within 4k miles, feathering is noticeable on the stock tires. I cant hear the sound yet, but there is no denying the feathering is approaching very rapidly.

I have front camber arms with +1 degree added (from the stock location) This apparently didn’t help with the feathering problem.

This still does not pinpoint the exact problem. But it suggests heavily that the stock tires are more susceptible to feathering than any of the available performance tires on the market. It may be possible that the wider 19" tires also help suppress the feathering.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Thanks for the report!

I am happy to report that after installing Eibach springs and switching to Nitto 555's on my stock 17's I did not have feathering.

I do not have feathering now on my 19x8.5 Hankook Ventus tires either.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I also think it might have something to do with the tire design (i.e. tread), and also a little of the alignment issue. I know people reporting that after changing their setup, whether it be suspension and/or wheels, that the feathering issue is eliminated or greatly reduced.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi,

I just bought a 2003 350Z with 19" volk wheels, and BFG tires, and I have the tire feathering noise and the cupped tire tread. The tires have 15000 miles on them; I've only had the car for about 800 miles.

After spending a few days researching this issue, my main question is: Is this fixed on the 2005/2006 350Z's, and if so, what is the fix!? I don't care if I have to pay for parts (it's out of warranty, whatever)... I'd just like to fix it and be done with it.

I didn't notice the noise at first because my previous car (a 1993 Honda) was just a loud car and I thought the 350Z road noise was "normal". But I test drove a 2006 350Z this weekend and it was definitely quieter coasting around 35mph.

-Chris

Pics of my 350Z, Volk 19" wheels, Stillen exhaust, JWT pop charger

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever changed, Nissan has kept very quiet about it. I think to prevent any type of recall action.

I had 19s' with lowering springs and a fresh alignment on my 03 and that seemed to help.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Hi,

I just bought a 2003 350Z with 19" volk wheels, and BFG tires, and I have the tire feathering noise and the cupped tire tread. The tires have 15000 miles on them; I've only had the car for about 800 miles.

After spending a few days researching this issue, my main question is: Is this fixed on the 2005/2006 350Z's, and if so, what is the fix!? I don't care if I have to pay for parts (it's out of warranty, whatever)... I'd just like to fix it and be done with it.

I didn't notice the noise at first because my previous car (a 1993 Honda) was just a loud car and I thought the 350Z road noise was "normal". But I test drove a 2006 350Z this weekend and it was definitely quieter coasting around 35mph.

-Chris

Pics of my 350Z, Volk 19" wheels, Stillen exhaust, JWT pop charger
I would first think about a new set of tires, because that is about the life of a summer rated tire b/c of the compounds used. Also go and get a good alignment too. I think it's $100 at nissan.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I'm getting an alignment done at a local shop who specializes in suspension, alignments, etc: www.soulspeed.com (in Austin, TX). He was recommended to me, and on the phone he was familiar with the whole 350Z tire feathering issue.

As far as replacing my tires - they have plenty of tread left on them. Or is the amount of tread left not a good indicator of when to replace them? Almost all of the miles on these tires are mild highway miles (the previous owner commuted about 100+ miles all the time... one of the reasons he sold the car).

Thanks
-chris

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just thought I'd post a follow-up on my tire feathering issue with the volk 19" wheels. I got the 4-wheel alignment done as mentioned above (described here: Soulspeed.com - alignment). It turns out my car had noticable toe-OUT, which they said can cause feathering. They took the (directional) front tires off the wheels and swapped them, so the feathering is now on the outside, and isn't as loud. Hopefully, as it wears, the feathering will disappear.

I have the alignment printout from the Hunter alignment machine with all the before & after numbers (camber, toe, etc) for all 4 wheels. I'll try to scan it and post it here soon.

The mechanic said the 350z is probably just very sensitive to alignment -- or more precisely, very sensitive to being out of alignment. He recommended getting it aligned once per year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts