Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car cranked fine but was idleing funny. the idle was sitting just under a 1000, let say 950. i probably have an air leak somewhere (boost gauge not hooked up yet, hose is capped and ziptied (still has slight hiss). i swear i can hear hissing from inside the engine bay. it is hard to say since this is my first forced induction vehicle so i am not used to what it is supposed to sound like. since i had all new piping minus the headers i had that burning smell from the manufacturing process residue . i had a slight rattle at idle upon initial start up that became harder to hear as the car warmed up. while driving i heard it a few times. it is not loud. the header clearance was minimal but worked. i can live with the way it is rattling right now, i think. lol i believe the v-clamp on the down pipe against the header is the cause of the rattle. anyway, i drove to my buddies house, who lives about 5 miles away. the car was running fine, i hit boost once at around the 2.5 mile mark. at the 4.5 mile or so mark i got on it just a bit (i didn't stomp on the gas, it was gradual) until i hit about 4000rpm where the car felt like it hit the rev limiter but i wasn't even close. it did it once more then as i turned into my buddy's street the power steering went out. i looked down and notice all my dash lights were on, my car died and smoke was coming out of my engine. i went and got Ray (backagain) for some help. i tried to start the car again and it did but now the car had a hard time holding the idle so it would die if i wasn't reving the engine a bit. i drove to ray's house (about another 100 ft) and took a better look under the engine. the cause of the smoke was oil burning on the turbo. it was obvious the oil was escaping from the oil feed fitting on top of the turbo. i looked down and noticed more oil in the engine bay. not sure how much i lost yet. also, the adhesive backed heat shielding on the y pipe had slid off and looked burnt. it was touching the belt on a pulley wheel. the oil feed line is not kinked, i know because i checked it a few times. i am not too worried because i feel the problem is with the turbo charger. i am sure the oil feed npt fitting on the turbo was tight and it did have teflon tape.

indications on my dash were voltage fine, oil pressure didn't seem off to me, temperature was just fine. i had no service engine soon light and i don't think it ever came on.

i am sure this will end up being something minor, forced induction blues i guess. i know backagain had problems for a while before his vortech started treating him good! lol i am going to stay positive. please give me your input on this guys and gals. if any of you have had similar problems with a turbo install let me know. thanks

btw, i think the turbonetics kit is very well manufactured. the install was tight and frustrating but in the end it was worth. i hope to get some input from turbonetics on this.

guess i will go to nopi next year! :(

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
wow sorry to hear that....
you have a nice car, and ST will definately make it better.
I always recommend doing the install for Turbos at shops, did you do it yourself????
well you know there is tuning that has to be done as well.
well the options are open on the table to figure out your problem, but i even heard of cases were the car runs fine afterwards with no adjustments at all...
if there is a hissing sound....then you must have a leak somewhere.
double check and let us know

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I have no idea what the problem is. Hopefully someone here can give you some advice. Thanks for the update though. It's good to hear the negatives sometimes and not just the positives.

Good luck getting her fixed and up and running :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Now I'm curious :biggrin:

Don't feel bad. The other day I popped my hood and noticed that my popcharger had fallen off of my intake tube and was just sitting in my engine bay. :oops:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by ZEALOUZ@Sep 15 2005, 11:27 AM
FIXED.  i guess there were a few things that came loose!!  i don't want to talk about it! lol
[snapback]155313[/snapback]​

:doh: like a vacuum line?....... :cheers:

hiss happens.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
everything is fine now! i will install my boost gauge and wideband tomorrow and retighten all fittings and clamps on saturday. i will also reaccomplish wrapping the y pipe with adhesive heat wrap. this time i will use these
screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/dei-010202.jpg');}" /> i don't plan to drive the Z again till saturday afternoon. i want to make sure everything is good! so saturday morning i will be busy. thanks to all those that gave input.

i will start a new thread with pics from the install as well as tips on the install soon. for now i will say that the kit fits extremely well but is a bit snug, meaning difficult to tighten some of the clams, bolts, nuts, etc... if i could go back and choose to have it installed professionally i would still do it by myself and with the help of my friends. i am very satisfied with the turbocharger, turbonetics the company and turbonetics customer support. i switched my injen exhaust to the tanabe super racing medalion. my buddy dan loves the sound it puts out. looks good too! I like the way the tips angle out. stay tuned...more to come! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:postpics:

You are seriously lacking in that department... :wink: :cheers:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kit looks **** good by the way! :) i wanted to make the statement that anyone looking to do the t-netics single turbo with after market headers should take a serious look at the alphawerks headers. they fit **** near perfect with this ST kit. there are other headers that have given some t-netics single turbo owners some trouble. there is a slight rattle when letting the RPMs drop all the way down to idle while in neutral but very low volume. while driving i don't hear any noise. i will dyno just as soon as i can to see what this kit did for my power needs :)

like i wrote earlier, more to come on this install and kit in the coming days. i will start a new thread WITH PICS AND VIDEO! lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
this is zealouz posting under ray's screen name, i am being lazy and don't feel like logging him off.

anyway this is my favorite, i took this using ray's camera during the install

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Is this a complete kit and if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by ayman350z@Sep 15 2005, 12:26 PM
cool
now its time to tell us how the car feels....
what do u think?
[snapback]155329[/snapback]​

went for some runs last night to see how it felt. i ran like 3 runs at wide open throttle and a few at 85-95% throttle. My friend Ray was in the car with me. the night was cool so you know....the Z had a kick!!!

ray watched the boost and wide band gauges for me. he said i hit 9 psi of boost and i was very rich 10.8 at wide open throttle. the Z was pulling hard as ****. i have to dyno now, can't wait! i am guessing i am making @365-385hp and 365-375tq to the wheels. ecu was reflashed for a safe tune. once i get the greddy emange ultimate installed, i will tune the Z for more power. i would like 400-420hp and 380-400tq!!!

Blow off valve sounds wicked. it is dubbed "raptor." It sounds like a raptor/dinosaur from jurassic park snorting or snarling! it is F-ing sweet!!!

I have all the kinks worked out of my install. Z is running great. the only thing that is bothering me is a slight vibration. i will troubleshoot that tomorrow or Saturday. the headers are not touching the down pipe though so i don't think they are the root. the noise sounds real tinny, kind of like a heat shield. when i put pressure on the crossover pipe, the sound deadens. i can't see where it might be touching though. anyway i have an idea to cure the x-over pipe deal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
mine makes that tinny rattle also. Sounds like a heat shield. I'm nit too bothered by it but will take a look soon. Lemme know what you find.
BTW, I have seen as high as 9.5psi. Its usually closer to 8.5 but I'm not complaining. Love the power & the BOV too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by 35Ounces@Sep 22 2005, 06:11 PM
mine makes that tinny rattle also. Sounds like a heat shield. I'm nit too bothered by it but will take a look soon. Lemme know what you find.
BTW, I have seen as high as 9.5psi. Its usually closer to 8.5 but I'm not complaining. Love the power & the BOV too.
[snapback]157438[/snapback]​

***this is ZEALOUZ posting under backagain's handle***

found the problem!!! it was a loose o2 plug on the alphawerks header (driver side). apparantly i only tightend it finger tight so it worked itself loose. it makes sense because originally it wasn't that loud. now i am completely happy with my t-netics turbo and the fact that i took the time to install with the help of a few friends!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.