Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking long and hard, been doing allot of reading, and spading allot of time at the stereo stores in the area finding the best speakers. I think I have settled on on the infinity perfect 6.1 componet's for the front of the z (Blame Toykilla). Now I am looking for a good amp to power these. I guess I have two thoughts.

1. I plan on just using the nice front speakers with no subs so I think maybe 75w/channel 2x channel amp would work just fine. And if I add a sub I can just add another amp.

2. I may be adding a sub, probably nothing bigger then a 10 that probably needs no more then 300w. I can just use an amp that I will be using to push my front speakers. so Maybe a 4 channel with one to each front speak and bridge the other 2 for the sub.

Any recommendations? I'm looking for just really good, not the best. The sound quality is most important to me. The price should not be over 300$.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes DiRN,
I have had my eye on that one just looking for thoughts from lots of people. The front speakers and power for them must come first.

EDIT: That sub (jl audio w3v2) is the one I think I want if I get a sub.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I would suggest this one. Harman Kardon owns Infinity and JBL, and these are perfectly matched to each other. Since you are going with the Infinity Perfects, you need alot of clean, clear power.
97watts RMS x 2 will do just the trick.. You can find this for under 200$ i am sure. (I like putting systems together :) )

[iframe]http://jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO75.2&ser=GTS&cat=AMP[/iframe]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just purchased the infinity and the jbl amp from car domain for 390 shipped (I used the 105%) Not to bad. Should get the sometime this or next week. Can't wait to in stall them!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you guys sagest rewiring everything or can I just use the stock wiring for now. I don't plan on upgrading my HU atleast for awhile.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I ran your exact setup on stock wiring.. should be ok i didnt have any problems and i listen to music pretty loud..

It might be something to do later, or you could do it now. Unless you plan on listening to your radio at 90-100%volume for an hour, the stock wiring should be fine..

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
i actually ran my amps under the seats.. there is alot of room under there because the floor slopes down from the front of the seats.

·
Registered
620 Posts
When I ran my power, I found I could take all the plastic off in front of the windshield. I then cut a small slit in the top of the grommet for the pass through for the harness. I then sealed it up with silicone. It then went down behind the kick panel and under the carpet in the plastic channels on passenger side. My amp is behind the driver so I stuck it in to the side of the glove box and around the back where it hooks up with my amp.

Chris

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
[/quote]

I think the grommet HyperSprite is talking about is behind the battery. That is where i ran my wires.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought it looked like I could run it from behind the battery. that should work good. Toykilla how did you secure your amp down under your seat?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
LONG sheet metal screws.. just look under the car before you drill so you are sure you will not hit anything.. I actually had the 4 channel version which was bigger (i only used 2 channels) So yours should fit perfect..

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
yes, that will work just fine.. maybe shorter is some spots (the floor is not very level.. you might need to put some kind of spacer to even it out)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed that when I sat the amp in to test fit. What did you end up doing to even thing out? I got some board I think I will use.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been following the threads, can someone check me on this to see if I understand this correctly ?
So in a stock Z, with the bose stereo:

1)There is a head unit (the radio/CD/Tape) in the center console.
2)There is one amp located next to the spare tire in the rear.

3)The audio output from the head unit runs to the amp located in the rear.
4)All the speakers in the car connect to the outputs of the stock amp in the rear.
5)The amp in the rear also has a sub-woofer output that powers the sub behind the driver's sear.

If I wanted to upgrade a piece at a time, could I:
Use existing wiring and start by just replacing the amp in the rear with the JBL amp(s).
Keep the head unit and existing speakers for now.

I noticed the JBL amp drives two speakers. I count 2 speakers in each door 2 in the rear, and 1 sub in the rear. Would I need 1 JBL amp for every pair of speakers ?

I am stupid I guess,
Thanks. Craig

1 - 20 of 21 Posts