Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the original owner of a new 2004 Touring 350Z, 6 SPD -MT that I purchased off of the lot at this time last year. Right from the get-go I noticed an oil consumption problem so I took it to the Nissan dealer where I purchased it and we began the oil consumption test. After 3 tests they finally admitted that there may be a problem (they denied that they have ever heard of a Nissan engine with oil consumtion problems) so they said that they contacted Nissan North America and rather then doing a leak down test they were told to replace the valve cover, gasket and PCV valve. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of this fix before and if you think that this is going to do any good. Thanks In Advance!

2004 Touring - Silverstone - 6-MT - 8800 Miles

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Valve cover gasket and pcv valve are not the problem, unless you smell oil in the engine bay!

Don't wory about it, just keep taking it back to nissan and save the reciepts for the oil you are buying and do whatever the dealership reccomends.

since they have replaced the valve cover gaskets and pvc valve it looks like next time they are going to have to get deeper into the engine.

probably replace the block or swap out the entire engine.

either way it's going to have to be fixed.

the Z is so tight fitting that it may be cheaper to just swap motors than to have a mechanic tear through the motor.

I would raise **** and get them to put in some nismo headers while the engine is out haha.

just relax, thats what warranty is for, it's just unfortunate that it happend to you.

Iv'e only heard of oil consuption on engine rebuilds due to bunk piston rings.

so what are they going to do at this point????

that would suck if you had to drive another 8k.

I would have them do the oil change in fact insist on it being free.

then come in around 1000 miles and have them check the oil and see that it is a quart low on the dip stick SO THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT AS LONG!!

do this 2-3 times every 1000 miles and they will have to give in.

Some dealerships dont like warranty work because it doesnt pay that well. they want the big jobs like trannys, brakes, AC, and heads.

Nissan will only pay the dealership so much to work on you're car through warranty.

Hopefully they will get to it soon.

you could lemon law it and get all of you're money back.

this would include down payment all all monthly payments you ever made.

Then go to another dealer and purchace a new Z and pocket some of the cash you got back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the valve cover, gasket and PCV valve have been replaced. The mechanics slopped oil all over the top of my engine and air box. Have to bring it back in 1000 miles. They have done free oil changes in the past but this time it might be better to have some 2000 mile oil in the engine to see if it continues to consume it at the rate of 1 quart/1000 miles. Will let you know how it turns out in 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
That pisses me of to hear that oil is slopped all over the top of you're engine and air box.

These F'ers are trying to get away with fixing you're motor.

They slopped it on purpose to maki it look like it was the problem.

Dou you have before pics of the engine bay??

·
Registered
34 Posts
If the color of your car is light, do you see a stain of oil no the back of the bumpers, specifically by the exhaust area?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ohh yeah mike b means if the rear bumper has black exhaust sut on the rear bumper.

Thats a real good way to prove it.

wash it good and then stop washing it to watch for build up.

**** good idea mike b

·
Registered
798 Posts
wow i have never heard of that problem. hopefully they can fix it without you paying for it at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
11 Quarts of Oil in 11,000 Miles

Don't Down Shift Your Z!

As you can see from my above posting I am presently losing approximately 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. The valve covers, gaskets and PCV have all been replaced by Nissan yet the engine still is burning oil. Well, here is Nissan North America's, Inc. Official Answer. DOWN-SHIFTING! NISSAN'S TECH LINE Stated "Oil loss due to customer downshifting to slow vehicle down- compression built up during this is pushing oil past rings which is then being burnt off". A leak down test was never even an option so now it looks like I am SOL. Anyone have any contact info for someone at NNA that I can talk with? I can't let them get away with this.

2004 Touring - Silverstone - 6-MT - 11,000 Miles

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

Don't Down Shift Your Z!

As you can see from my above posting I am presently losing approximately 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. The valve covers, gaskets and PCV have all been replaced by Nissan yet the engine still is burning oil. Well, here is Nissan North America's, Inc. Official Answer. DOWN-SHIFTING! NISSAN'S TECH LINE Stated "Oil loss due to customer downshifting to slow vehicle down- compression built up during this is pushing oil past rings which is then being burnt off". A leak down test was never even an option so now it looks like I am SOL. Anyone have any contact info for someone at NNA that I can talk with? I can't let them get away with this.

That is total B.S.

I downshift EVERYDAY!!! I'm not burning any oil. 25k miles now.

the oil pressure is higher if you floor it than if you downshift to slow it down.

that is the most rediculous answer i have ever heard of.

you know i am battling with the dealer on my air conditioning crapping out if its over 105F outside.

plus they sprayed degreaser on my wheels and ruined them.

right now they are being chromed for FREE!!!

Just better be a good job though!!!

in july the dealer had my car practically for a half a month.

I really hope you get you're motor or Block replaced.

how close are you to the 65k powertrain warranty???

Doesn't that sound silly??

Nissan making an anouncement to the public not to downshift the car or you will burn oil!!!!

The public would go NUTS and Nissan would go bankrupt overnight for this.

Totally rediculous.

really hope it gets taken care of.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Don't Down Shift Your Z!

+1 to danimaldaisy
total b.s. on the downshifting-- don't buy into that. If downshifting is no longer allowed I wonder when the dealership is going to start handing out free brake pads and turning rotors on their dime. If you're pushing that much oil, something is wrong. I'd have that leak down done independently, despite the cost. I'd think results from that would be fairly difficult to refute... but then again, this is the dealership :headshake:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I don't understand is: Why did my dealership decide to go with the valve cover and PCV replacement instead of the leakdown test. I have since contacted NNA and told them that I will be taking the Z to another dealership and will request the leakdown test, at my expense, of course. If it fails maybe NISSAN will pick up the dime for it. They still won't tell me why they think it is me that is causing the oil loss by downshifting. Does the on-board computer system store info like this? I'll keep you posted!
:banghead:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I HAVE 2600 MILES ON MY '06 6-SPEED TOURING. I NOTICED THAT IT LOOKS LIKE THE CAR USED ABOUT 1/4 QUART OF OIL. I HOPE THAT IS NORMAL BECAUSE OF BREAK-IN PERIOD. ALL MY PREVIOUS CARS, EVEN DURING BREAK-IN PERIOD, NEVER USED A DROP OF OIL. IS THIS SOMETHING NORMAL WITH THE VQ SERIES ENGINE? I MEAN DOES THE MAXIMA, ALTIMA ETC WITH V-6'S HAVE ISSUES WITH OIL CONSUMPTION?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What I don't understand is: Why did my dealership decide to go with the valve cover and PCV replacement instead of the leakdown test. I have since contacted NNA and told them that I will be taking the Z to another dealership and will request the leakdown test, at my expense, of course. If it fails maybe NISSAN will pick up the dime for it. They still won't tell me why they think it is me that is causing the oil loss by downshifting. Does the on-board computer system store info like this? I'll keep you posted!
:banghead:
it's more than likely that you have a faulty O-ring that needs to be replaced if you know of a mechanic have him come with you next time you go to the dealership so he can smack the **** out of them for telling you BS problems

·
Registered
258 Posts
****. Im not the only one with this problem I see I only have one quart of oil in my car after 2 months of putting Mobil 1 Synthetic oil in and it bas nasty black. Im so pissed! my ac broke my car burns oil and had to replace the tranny all before 30000 miles. that is bullshit! Im going to buy an s2000.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry to hear about all these issues. The Nissan response does not surprise me at all. When I called Infiniti customer service to ask why my brake pads were worn out after 13K miles, I was told it's because they are better pads than everyone else's. That really made me laugh. The real reason they use sucky pads on '05 cars is it's cleaper to litigate than it is to put decent pads in that many cars, and then they might be ebligated to follow up with decent rotors.

You should be able to beat the living shot out of your car and have it hold up fairly well until the warranty is up. An answer like downshifting is total BS. If they don't volunteer to do a teardown or an engine swap, I would lawyer up and jam the car down their throats, then buy an identical one and make a point to come in every 1000 miles and show how it holds the oil. You have a bad ring, I would say, which means now you have a pair of bad cats too.

The other option is to get them to put the downshifting thing in writing and seize the engine. I know a woman who left a Jiffy Lube minus her oil pan plug and seized the engine in ger Mercedes S class within a mile. She called a wercker and her lawyer, Jiffy Lube paid to replace her engine with a new one.

Don't take any crap, unless you like it.

jb

****. Im not the only one with this problem I see I only have one quart of oil in my car after 2 months of putting Mobil 1 Synthetic oil in and it bas nasty black. Im so pissed! my ac broke my car burns oil and had to replace the tranny all before 30000 miles. that is bullshit! Im going to buy an s2000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! I have a 2006 Touring 6-speed model. I switched to full 5 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic oil at around 3500 miles. When I changed my oil again yesterday at 7000 miles, I found that only 1.5 quarts of oil was drained out from the engine even with the oil filter removed. The oil was very dark and looked like it's has been burnt to ****. I took the car to the dealer right away and they said they have never heard of this problem before.... and told me to start a oil consumption test next time my oil change is due. Has this oil consumption problem been around for a while? I wonder why no one made a big deal out of this on the 350z-tech forum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We had the same problem with our 2006 Enthusiast.

The car had less than 6K miles and would burn through most of the oil in approx. 300 miles.

The dealer ended up replacing our engine. I'm keeping a close eye on this one.

Heinz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts