Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

My 2018 7at has a weird issues:

In manual mode, from 3rd gear to 4th gear it will make a clicking noise (sometimes incredibly faint... others louder... i.e. its not the usually thumping or clunking noise and it feels coming from the transmission or thereabouts, not differential) ... you can feel the vibration on the floor when it does.

At times... and after it has been driving hot for a while, there is also a kicking or thumping acommpanying this, but this only happens if I try recreating the issue over and over again (which I did at the dealership)... as if it was getting tired or hotter.

Now, heres the weird part.

It ONLY does this from 3th to 4th, ONLY if I change between 2k rpm and 4.5k rpm. And ONLY if there is load on the throttle... and more if the load is less than wide open throttle. More so at a hill climb.

It WONT do it if I change gears with a small load on any rev range... it won't do it if I rev higher first and then change (with or without much load)... it WONT do it in D mode, just manual.

I changed the transmission fluid... it made everything smoother... but this issues persists.

Any ideas? I've taken the car to the dealership and they've said the transmission is fine... and that the ticking noise may be a lose panel of sorts... but that wouldn't explain the sometimes thumping/kicking thaf it does)

Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on your ZR? When was the tranny fluid changed and what product did you use?
Thanks for the reply.

Only 30k miles.

I took it to the dealership for the change... I would like to believe they used what the Factory Service Manual demands be used

The fluid was changed not 3 months ago. I actually had this issue before the change... the tick/click/sometimes-kick; this is one of the reasons why I Jumped the gun on changing it... though I would have anyway. But obviously it didn't solve it. Though it somewhat "calmed" it at first... or maybe I just didn't notice.

But the tick/click has been with the car for then at least 6 months. It was its first fluid change. So I noticed the issue around 2 months before changing the fluid... and 3 months after it's still here.

One thing I forgot to mention is when the noise/jerk happens, there is no flare or delay or slipping..on the contrary, the gear changes so quickly it feels like a dual clutch transmission

Apart from that... the transmission changes gears and behaves perfectly well. The same gear change when done during other conditions (changing above 4.5 k... or anywhere with low throttle load) behaves normally... its so strange.

·
Super Moderator
1,695 Posts
Thanks for the details. The mileage is not high and the Nissan dealership would have used OEM ATF in all likelihood. Since this only happens in manual mode, my guess is the transmission body may have a small defect causing this sound and vibration. Trouble is, you'd have to tear the tranny down to find the defect. Unless the problem gets worse, I'd suggest just living with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you.

Yes. Checking the valve body would be an expensive hassle... and yet, the car feels fine apart from that. I took a video of said noise.

Appears twice... before i come to a complete stop.
You ever figure this out I have same problem thought it was the front propeller shaft however after changing it noise still there and it sounds like it's coming from the transmission like a cluck noise at end of breaking and at the beginning of accelerating sounds like break pads moving

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You ever figure this out I have same problem thought it was the front propeller shaft however after changing it noise still there and it sounds like it's coming from the transmission like a cluck noise at end of breaking and at the beginning of accelerating sounds like break pads moving
I thought I had replied to this! No matter. I already replied in the conversation you created

To add some more info: I've also tried several things... including tranny fluid change

Nothing seems to do the trick.

If it helps, I have found out that our transmissions don't like certain changes at certain rpms...specially from 3 to 4th... as that is also the gear where the transmission glares occurs in both Qs and 370s... and also the ECU tends to begin doing this stuff of terrible changes... something it "learns"...
That doesn't explain why the issue seems to get worse... but its soemthing to consider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts