Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but what the ****! I've tried searching the forums with no luck on the topic so here goes:

I was thinking of gettting 4 point seat belts but wasn't sure if it's really a good idea or what to go with? Does anyone have a set installed?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
don't have racing harnesses yet but i want a set. great for racetracks. inconvenient on the street. your g/f won't like them. most racetracks (hi perf drivers ed) don't care but laguna seca requires them

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by 350z@May 24 2004, 01:19 AM
Welcome back Bogart!!  i have not seen them yet, so i dont know if they are out yet!  just out of curiosity why do you want them?

Well like Richard was saying about the track, I'm also planning to do some track time this summer and I know at least one of the tracks near me requires them. I've heard good and bad things about them. As far as the bar mounting that to me is the only way to go. Having the shoulder straps attached below at the floor board or anywhere the attach points would in essence be pulling you down is bad for your back. All the bumps in the road causes the harness to hold you down in turn putting undo stress on your vertebrae.

toykilla, I will have to take a look at avalon to see what they have. Thanks!

Yeah Richard I don't think the g/f would like them although she's really quite a trooper when it comes to making me happy
Not too much every gets in the way of that.
But I'm only planning on installing the driver side for now.

Well I'll keep everyone informed of anything I found out. Richard if you do get a set before me let me know your thoughts and any info. Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you install harnesses, you should keep your OEM 3-points installed as they're much better to use on the street. Plus most 4-points aren't DOT approved and will make checking your blindspots quite difficult. Personally, I'd stay away from 4 points since the lap belts tend to ride up on you and don't provide the same protection in the event

Ideally, you really need a roll bar to do harnesses right, but a lot of people choose to use only a harness bar. Keep in mind that many instructors will refuse to ride in your car if you have harnesses without a roll bar. Also, the golden rule is that you afford the instructor (or any passenger for that matter) with the equivalent safety equipment.

I'm currently using a set of Schroth 6pt Profi-III ASM harnesses, which I only use on the track. On the street, I always use my seat belt, even though my roll hoop makes the reach a little cumbersome.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It doesn't sound like you are going to track your car. If you were going to, I'm assuming you'd know why a racing or 4 pt. harness would be helpful. If you're not going to track it, you shouldn't waste your money on a harness and bar. It's just not worth it for daily driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts