Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was worth sharing.

Driving to a mates house on a cool evening the other day I ran into a Supra. We discussed our various mods before the light went green and got one good race from first gear to the beginning of fourth. Note: He had heard of the APS 350z TT kit putting out 400rwhp.

Black Supra
Inline 6, 3.0L, Stock Twins @16psi(not standard boost setting), exhaust, maybe airfilter.

Vs

Black 350z
V6, 3.5L, US Air Duct, K&N Panel filter, HiTech exhaust, UR pulleys.

The lights go green and we take off softly then floor it simultaneously, I pull maybe a car lengh ahead and stay in front during first and as I change into second. Towards the end of second he starts pulling up to me and as I change into third he keeps pulling till hes half a nose length in front. I rev through third, he changes gears and my car is now pulling stronger. Towards the top of third my nose is in front, I change into fourth and accelerate for a bit then we both slow down. With me being in front as we back off.

I had just been reading up on the 2JZ and how much power you can get from just exhaust and intercooler upgrades so I was expecting to be slaughtered. The end results was pretty good with me being infront at the beginning and the very end. If we had continued higher im not sure what would have happened as it was pretty close in those higher gears.

Also on a seperate note I noticed in a magazine that the newer lightweight 360 Modena weights ~1460kg. I thought this was interesting, so all we need is more power. :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Thanks for sharing .... I only know of TT Supras from reading about them and seeing videos. I have seen maybe 1 at the track, but that's about it. Going from the info, I would pressume that it's be pretty close between a stock 350Z and Supra TT ...and it seems like it was.

Also on a seperate note I noticed in a magazine that the newer lightweight 360 Modena weights ~1460kg. I thought this was interesting, so all we need is more power.

And 8000rpm redline, and mid-engine layout, and lower center of gravity just to list a few things ;-)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And 8000rpm redline, and mid-engine layout, and lower center of gravity just to list a few things ;-)

Hey I didnt say how exactly we get that power! An 8000rpm redline should be achivevable. Front engine rear wheel layout will do. And just lower your car ;-)

Speaking of which, how are you liking your springs? Note: I have read your previous reviews.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hey I didnt say how exactly we get that power! An 8000rpm redline should be achivevable. Front engine rear wheel layout will do. And just lower your car ;-)

Maybe I was too vague ... I actually want the Ferrari :)

Speaking of which, how are you liking your springs? Note: I have read your previous reviews.

At Sandown they were great and I had no complaints about the car, but I'm going to Winton this Sunday and that has a few long tight corners ... that will really put the setup to the test ... will see how it'll keep up with the S2000s through there.

Will see how happy I come back from there, but overall it's certainly an improvement ... I have more front-end bite, and I'm no longer killing the oustide edge of my front tyres. Though, on a negative side, I'd prefer my car to be about 1/2cm higher as my clearance is a little bit too low.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I was too vague ... I actually want the Ferrari :)

I can relate.

I'd prefer my car to be about 1/2cm higher as my clearance is a little bit too low

How far did the whiteline springs lower the car?

How do you find hard launches with them?

One thing which is really noticable with these softer springs in the rear is I can launch hard with no wheel spin and the thing just takes off. Negative side is you need sways bars to take full advantage of the coilovers.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
How far did the whiteline springs lower the car?

I think it was a 'true' 2cm drop.

How do you find hard launches with them?

I notice no difference in this repect between the OME and Whiteline springs. But then again I did not feel I had any problems with the launches beforehand. I already had the springs in the car when we went to the Calder drags and tyre-grip was my problem, but the suspension.

One thing which is really noticable with these softer springs in the rear is I can launch hard with no wheel spin and the thing just takes off.

I don't understand that ... if you have no wheel-spen, then you don't have revs. And if you don't have revs then you don't have power. What am I missing ... how can the springs make any differnece to the launch without any wheelspin? I can understand how it could keep the tyre on the ground better if/wghen you have wheelspin.

I take it that you have spfter springs in the car, correct?

The stiffer springs in my car seem to improve the ability to change direction as well as turn in, but as I said before - Winton will be the true test.

Oh, and one more thing - the springs allow me to run lower pressures in the front. I can now run 36psi, while before I needed 40psi to get the car to feel balanced.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand that ...

I can rev it a bit higher, launch and it appears to take off better. I think the suspension is is absorbing more of the force cushioning power transfer to the tyres.

I take it that you have spfter springs in the car, correct?

Yes I have slightly softer springs in the rear.

The stiffer springs in my car seem to improve the ability to change direction as well as turn in, but as I said before - Winton will be the true test.

Stronger springs all round should help turn in by reducing weight transfer or sway etc though this isn't necessarily the best or only way to achieve this. Take Peter for example, in his racing class he isn't allowed to upgrade the sway bars, so he has to use stronger springs to get the car to turn in, but he would prefer to run a softer spring and stronger sways. A benefit of using softer rear springs, that I can see, is when accelerating through corners over bumps, the softer springs should absorb those bumps and not skip across them losing traction, but you must combine this with the stronger sways bars to help turn in and reduce sway. This also gives a more comfortable ride when driving normally. It all depends on what you want to achieve, what you are prepared to sacrifice and what your budget is.

Note: Im sure Peters idea of 'softer' is different to ours as his is a track race car.

P.S When is Winton?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I can rev it a bit higher, launch and it appears to take off better. I think the suspension is is absorbing more of the force cushioning power transfer to the tyres.

I still don't understand how your revs can be higher (or lower) when there's no clutch slip or tyre slip. Afterall, when the cluth is out then the revs, and rotation of the tyres (ie. speed) are directly related. That means X revs in 1st gear will always equal X*constant (whewre the 'constant' os the gear ratio/reduction) speed.

Though, just thinking about it, the softer the springs you have, the more 'force' you can use up with the spring compression/weight transfer. Therefore, when you apply X amount of power to the rear wheel, some of it is absorbed in the supspension/weight-transfer and rest goes to the ground. Is that the same thing you're thinking of?

A benefit of using softer rear springs, that I can see, is when accelerating through corners over bumps, the softer springs should absorb those bumps and not skip across them losing traction, but you must combine this with the stronger sways bars to help turn in and reduce sway.

BMW loves this kind of set-up ... all their cars are sut-up like that. That is why they have such a good compromize between ride and handling.

When is Winton?

This Sunday. Let's hope it's a dry day ... I'll be very annoyed it it's wet again.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still don't understand how your revs can be higher (or lower) when there's no clutch slip or tyre slip. Afterall, when the cluth is out then the revs, and rotation of the tyres (ie. speed) are directly related. That means X revs in 1st gear will always equal X*constant (whewre the 'constant' os the gear ratio/reduction) speed.

By launch I mean take off like normal but using more force, not sidestepping the clutch. So that would involve more throttle and a harder controlled clutch release.

Though, just thinking about it, the softer the springs you have, the more 'force' you can use up with the spring compression/weight transfer. Therefore, when you apply X amount of power to the rear wheel, some of it is absorbed in the supspension/weight-transfer and rest goes to the ground. Is that the same thing you're thinking of?

Yes, I believe this is the same thing. Also I think because the springs are progressive as the spring compresses its spring rate increases, the weight transfer is slowed at a progressive rate and the power is transfered in a simlar fashion.

This Sunday. Let's hope it's a dry day ... I'll be very annoyed it it's wet again.

Good luck for tomorrow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I thought this was worth sharing.

Driving to a mates house on a cool evening the other day I ran into a Supra. We discussed our various mods before the light went green and got one good race from first gear to the beginning of fourth. Note: He had heard of the APS 350z TT kit putting out 400rwhp.

Black Supra
Inline 6, 3.0L, Stock Twins @16psi(not standard boost setting), exhaust, maybe airfilter.

Vs

Black 350z
V6, 3.5L, US Air Duct, K&N Panel filter, HiTech exhaust, UR pulleys.

The lights go green and we take off softly then floor it simultaneously, I pull maybe a car lengh ahead and stay in front during first and as I change into second. Towards the end of second he starts pulling up to me and as I change into third he keeps pulling till hes half a nose length in front. I rev through third, he changes gears and my car is now pulling stronger. Towards the top of third my nose is in front, I change into fourth and accelerate for a bit then we both slow down. With me being in front as we back off.

I had just been reading up on the 2JZ and how much power you can get from just exhaust and intercooler upgrades so I was expecting to be slaughtered. The end results was pretty good with me being infront at the beginning and the very end. If we had continued higher im not sure what would have happened as it was pretty close in those higher gears.

Also on a seperate note I noticed in a magazine that the newer lightweight 360 Modena weights ~1460kg. I thought this was interesting, so all we need is more power. :)
Hi,

It is encouraging to hear that the 350Z has similar straight performance to that of the Twin Turbo Supra.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts

The softer rear springs would give him more traction off the line, allowing him to launch with more revs and / or less clutch slip without wheelspinning.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Murray,

That sounds like a nice win for you.... good on you and your zed!!! I am sure with your future setup, your car is going to be mad on the street!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Yeah, the softer springs are allowing more weight transfer which is giving more traction helping with the harder launches.

Yep, that makes sence.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
nice run chaps

i agree those Supras, and other Jap turbos can be tuned to pull very hard

but the reality is most grey imports are in poor mechanical condition, or the young kids behind the wheel buy cheap aftermarket parts and run stupid boost which makes them even slower on real roads

i was following this R33 GTS-T through some traffic, it had a very loud BOV and when he gunned it it pissed out blue smoke so i backed off, who wants oil on their freshly waxed duco

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Unfortunately the Jap import scene is full of idiots.

I'm on a couple of other forums, and I always find it a source of amazement how people will spend money on stuff they can brag about, but scrimp on stuff that will actually increase performance.

It always slightly frustrates me when you hear some guys talk about how people should settle for nothing less than a Japanese brand intercooler (they wouldn't deign to use a Hybrid; HKS, Trust or A'PEXi are the only choices) but then baulk at spending $250 a corner on tyres or $150 an end on decent sports pads because it costs too much.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with the 'race report' but I owned a TT Supra back in the UK and am little surprised things were so close. I've only driven a Z for about 50Km's so don't have a massive amount of experience to compare with. Only to say that in stock trim I didn't feel the Z was quite as quick.

I would have the Z every day though now as it's a much better looking and more refined car.

The 2JZ engine is legendary for reliability and tunability. With an exhaust, air filter, a boost gauge and fuel cut defender they can run all day long on 1.2 Barg. This normally is around 50 extra horsepower give or take. Not bad for the money considering the exhaust is the only expensive thing....

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with the 'race report' but I owned a TT Supra back in the UK and am little surprised things were so close. I've only driven a Z for about 50Km's so don't have a massive amount of experience to compare with. Only to say that in stock trim I didn't feel the Z was quite as quick.

I would have the Z every day though now as it's a much better looking and more refined car.

The 2JZ engine is legendary for reliability and tunability. With an exhaust, air filter, a boost gauge and fuel cut defender they can run all day long on 1.2 Barg. This normally is around 50 extra horsepower give or take. Not bad for the money considering the exhaust is the only expensive thing....

I read this post looking for people to say the supra would spank a Z, but I didn't find it. Supra around 320hp, what do they weigh?
Good to add another car to the list the z can handle

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I read this post looking for people to say the supra would spank a Z, but I didn't find it. Supra around 320hp, what do they weigh? Good to add another car to the list the z can handle.
K, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest the Z couldn't handle that twin turbo Supra in any race other than driver error. This is an 04 thread when Z owners were pumped about the possibility....it was a new car ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
K, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest the Z couldn't handle that twin turbo Supra in any race other than driver error. This is an 04 thread when Z owners were pumped about the possibility....it was a new car ;)
The TT Supra is a difficult machine to beat, especially in the value for money department. I do think it would have the edge overall though. Not by a great deal, but I guess that's not really the point.

Sorry for dragging up an old post :welcome2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts