Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced a s2k before and destroyed it by 4 or 5 buses and had many people in disbelief of my story, so I found a friend that had one and we set the record straight. Here's what happened.

On our way home from the local Hooters, we met up at a light. He is making weird hand signals to me and I can't stop laughing. Not thinking he was serious about racing me, I decided to put a little wear on the tires. I reved and he reved back. I smiled, reved to 4k. The light turned green and I dumped the clutch. Made tons on racket and smoke. I look over at him and he is actually trying. I let off, then get on it again and leave him! He pulls up next to me shaking his head and I give him one of these
. So, we decide to go from a roll. From a 40 roll, he honks 3 times, I leave him again. I thought maybe he didn't get a good jump, so we try again. This time as he is honking, I am slowing down. By the 3rd honk, my door was at his back bumper. I give him the jump then I get on it and leave him like he wasn't even trying. Needless to say, I tried everything I could to make it an even race, but it just wasn't meant to be. I call him on his cell and all he could do was this

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Drove my Stepdad's S2K...it's a civic up to about 4500 when the vtec kicks in. Nice car & all, but...

He's coming for a visit this weekend. We'll have a little lesson in TORQUE.

·
Registered
504 Posts
THe S2000 I ran was comparable to the Z I ran. However, I ran the S2K from about 60 so as to be nice and TRY to negate his lack of tq for him.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dude that has to be the funniest thing I have seen in a long time! Don't get me wrong the s2k looks kinda cool, but I gotta say the Z beats it in everything except Ricer potential

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
torque....

:rolf2: :rolf2: :rolf2: :yourock: LMFAO

That is AWESOME! I hate civics and mustangs, so its even funnier...

·
Registered
504 Posts
tires, gears, exhaust, my friend ran [email protected] with a TERRIBLY slipping clutch (you could hear it going down the track) in his S2000. That really isnt that bad, you just have to launch the **** out of them where as the Z is much friendlier and easier on itself.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If you go to www.s2ki.com most of them there have "stories" of smoking Z's till no tomorrow.

There are a few guys there who are really cool, who love both cars, but most of them just talk crap about the Z all day long.

And yes, lesson in "torque" would do well.

Peace

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
If you go to www.s2ki.com most of them there have "stories" of smoking Z's till no tomorrow.

There are a few guys there who are really cool, who love both cars, but most of them just talk crap about the Z all day long.

And yes, lesson in "torque" would do well.

Peace

I've had the same experience with that forum. Some people are cool, are willing to step back and take an objective look and point out the spots where the s2k is better than the Z, AND the spots where the Z is better than the S.
...others are convinced that no amount of horsepower or suspension work could ever allow the Z to out perform the S due to the S's weight advantage.

I'm convinced they think my base model Z weights about 5700lbs, rather than about 400lbs more than there car.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
A buddy of mine has a nicely modded S2K. We like each other's cars and razz each other, but ultimately we are enthusiasts that like cars in general.

Maybe we'll run against each other some day and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
there's no stock 4 bangers on the road that can keep up with the z at high end. ZERO
Windy Road/Track or Straight Road??? :p

Drag/Straight . . . . . . Mustang GT's will probably take the win.

Track . . . Z anyday.

And pretending to be a s2k owner . . . . "dude, no way, my S handles corner SOOOOOO much better on a track and you'll never reach enough speeds for your power/weight ratio to become neglible, thus I'm winning bwahahahaha u stupid Z kids."

·
Registered
258 Posts
Windy Road/Track or Straight Road??? :p

Drag/Straight . . . . . . Mustang GT's will probably take the win.

Track . . . Z anyday.

And pretending to be a s2k owner . . . . "dude, no way, my S handles corner SOOOOOO much better on a track and you'll never reach enough speeds for your power/weight ratio to become neglible, thus I'm winning bwahahahaha u stupid Z kids."
Man guys, Im not really buying all of this. The stock #s on a Z and S2000 are real CLOSE. Ive ran a few S2000s and they are not slow. Infact I wouldnt say I wooped them at all, one I know was stock and never left my side to around 100mph the other I took by only half a car. Now I had 19s and a full tank but also had intake and spacer. I can drive too and we ran multiple times, same outcome every run. They are loud little shits at 9000 rpms too. the only thing holding that car back is grip and a little low end tq.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
there's no stock 4 bangers on the road that can keep up with the z at high end. ZERO
A Lotus Elise 111R. :) I can't find any quarter mile times, but its 0-60 and 0-100 times are faster than the 350Z's.

And the new crop of turbo FWD hot hatches (Mazda3 MPS, whatever they call the Vauxhall Astra VXR in the US) are getting damned close in their quarter mile times to the Z. And since their biggest issue is powerdown off the line, its possible in the top end from a roll start that they're just as quick.

If you take cars that are street legal overseas, most Caterhams, Radicals and Westfields will smash a Z in a straight line. Just not sure how "stock" you can call a kit car though......but in the UK they are considered production cars.

Then of course there's the Mitubishi Lancer Evolution VIII FQ400. While its modified from how it rolled off the production line in Japan prior to shipping, the standard Evo is "FQ'ed" by Mitsubishi UK so its still technically an Evo with dealer-fit options....which still fits under the definition of "stock".

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I know a few previous S2K owners and honestly, I don't know any who didn't want out of the car withing a year. They didn't want to necessarily get into a Z, but they wanted out of the S2K. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dude that has to be the funniest thing I have seen in a long time! Don't get me wrong the s2k looks kinda cool, but I gotta say the Z beats it in everything except Ricer potential
The only thing the Z can't beat the S2000 in stock for stock is the handling department. My S2000 used to feel like it was a go cart. Their center of gravity is lower, weight is lower (~2800lbs), and shorter wheelbase by about 10 inches. Believe me the S2000's turn-in and responsiveness puts our Z's to shame.

QUOTE(deathmage)
:headshake: You don't have very much driving experience in different stock "4 bangers" obviously. I would say that S2000 and Z for being different cars in terms of engine output and weight are VERY closely matched in acceleration. BTW there are some stock turbocharged "4-bangers" that can spank the Z all day long.

QUOTE(surfcity)
I know a few previous S2K owners and honestly, I don't know any who didn't want out of the car withing a year. They didn't want to necessarily get into a Z, but they wanted out of the S2K. ;)
You are 100% right lol. One trip from Tampa, FL to Key West, FL was all it took. S2000's are noisy inside even with the top up, they are stiff, and have no room for anything inside them. They're great weekend cars, but you sure as **** can't have it as your only car. I was tired of that car and sold it in about 14 months later.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts

I know four S2000 owners. Several of them have owned them for more than 2 years. My good friend has one and he absolutely loves it.

Stock for stock; the Z has a slight advantage. But if you can DRIVE the S2000, you can keep up with lots of other cars on a road course. It's a wonderful car. Why no S2000 love??

I enjoy S2000. Not a shabby car at all. I did buy a Z however. ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
The only thing the Z can't beat the S2000 in stock for stock is the handling department. My S2000 used to feel like it was a go cart. Their center of gravity is lower, weight is lower (~2800lbs), and shorter wheelbase by about 10 inches. Believe me the S2000's turn-in and responsiveness puts our Z's to shame.
:headshake: You don't have very much driving experience in different stock "4 bangers" obviously. I would say that S2000 and Z for being different cars in terms of engine output and weight are VERY closely matched in acceleration. BTW there are some stock turbocharged "4-bangers" that can spank the Z all day long.
just curious what stock turbo 4 cylinder is putting out even say over 250? and to say that it handles better doesnt "put our z's to shame" because with proper driving techniques either car could win on a track depending on the other driver (yes i have beaten a z in an s2k and vice versa) honda powerband is completely different and honestly who cares so much about what can win on a drag.. or wait fine a street race which is nearly as straight but illegal and more dangerous. take them on a road course and then see, they are very equal cars but driven very differently

1 - 20 of 56 Posts