Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I had a chance to meet up with someone I know who has an RX8. We went to my 'testing ground' and we did some side-by-side comparisons. The RX8 is totally stock and has over 26,000km on the clock. My car has a Hi-tech exhaust and K&N Filter. Both cars had only the driver in the car and I had 2/3s of the tank full while the RX8 had less than 1/4. We did a few runs to try and get a feel of what's going on, and also we had a 3rd person flagging the starts so there shouldn't have been an advantage either way. Anyway, to the comparison ...

Acceleration comparisons:
- Test #1: 15 - 120kph, both cars in 1st gear:
First we tried a relatively slow roll-on acceleration test, and this one was not playing to the RX8's strengths as at 15kph it just did not have the revs high enough. Still, I wanted to see what would happen and as soon as we punched it I strongly pulled away. By the top of the 1st gear I was good 2 - 3 car-lengths ahead, and by the end of 2nd it was more like 5. Before we shut down (at around 120kph), I was good 6 car-lengths ahead.

- Test #2: 40 - 130kph, both cars in 1st gear:
Next time we decided to run a rolling-start from a speed that would play to the RX8's strength (ie. it would keep the revs up). So we started from around 40kph and this time I got a good view of the RX8 as it got on power a fraction earlier and pulled 1/4 car-lengths on my straight away. Though, as soon as I jumped on the power as well I was making the ground up and by the end of 1st gear I was about 1/4 to 1/2 a car-length ahead. Then after the 1st-to-2nd gear-change I would pull away even stronger and by the top of 2nd gear I would have good 2 - 3 car-lengths on the RX8. In 3rd gear I kept polling away and I'd say I was ahead 4 car-lengths or so by 130kph when we shut it down.

- Test #3: 0 - 125kph, both cars in 1st gear:
Last test we did was a standing-start comparison, where I propped the clutch from about 2,500rpm and the RX8 from about 5,500rpm. I got a pretty decent launch but the RX8 got a good launch as well and while my wheels were still spinning we were very much side-by-side ... if anything the RX8 was a couple inches ahead. Then when my rear-tyres hooked up I started to pull away and had about 1/2 to 3/4 car-lengths on the RX8 by the top of 1st gear. In 2nd gear the 350Z really got into its stride and was pulling away strongly, and consistently. I'd say at a good 1/4 car-length per second. Same goes for 3rd gear and by the time we shut down (at around 125kph), I'd be good 4 car-lengths ahead.

RX8 Impressions:
So I would say that the RX8 can launch pretty well ... probably due to its favourable weight and weight-distribution. It actually surprised me how well the RX8 launched off the line. Though, once on the move the 350Z was always quicker and very noticeably so in 2nd gear. I was not really close and it seems that in 2nd and 3rd gear the 350Z has a significant advantage.

I also hopped in the RX8's passenger seat to see how it feels from inside. The standing-start launch did feel pretty good, but the car just did not have the same pull that I feel in my car once on the move.

Though, once again I was pretty amazed by how quiet the car is from inside and also how soft it rides.

·
Registered
172 Posts
great test!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Cool. However, I knew you could beat it even if you were sleeping. :zzz:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice job!

Have you thought about testing both cars on a curve? Auto cross like course. I have a friend who also own a rx8. He admits that the 350z would have many advantage at the straight away. However, he said that the 350z wouldn't have a chance at the curves. If it is at all possible, see if you could find out if this is true.

Again, well done with your straight away testing!
:yourock:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good write up of the 350Z and RX-8. I have a 04 350Z while the wife drives a 04 RX-8. Even though the RX-8 is a smooth riding vehicle and a very comfortable riding vehicle. I still love the feel of the 350Z as far as the power from the lower RPM's all the way up to the higher RPM's. The RX-8 doesn't really have the power until around the 5 thousand RPM range and then it actually rockets down the road. Both are fun cars to drive and basically our toys for playing around out on the road, but nothing compares to the power of the second gear power slide around a corner in the 350Z. :OMG:

·
Registered
889 Posts
With the RX8 MPS due here (Well this is what Mazda Dealership is saying) I think around the twisties the 8 will be quicker than a FI'd Z

Thanks for the comparo

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've watched a Best Motoring video where RX8 killed 350z in the corners, on the other hand 350z killed it on the straight. It was quiet surprising how fast the RX8 got away from 350z in the turns. From what I recall both of the cars were modified too.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you thought about testing both cars on a curve? Auto cross like course.

We have had both cars on the track, as well as a kind of auto-X (ie. motorkahana), but neither will give you a good comparision as the driver plays a significant part when it comes to stuff like that.

Though, I have been in the RX8 on a motorkahana and it did feel very good. Surprisingly soft, but still very well balanced. It seemed to have very good front-to-back balance and also good stability. I was pretty impressed with the way it handled.

However, he said that the 350Z wouldn't have a chance at the curves.

Now this is just my opinion, but I don't see the RX8 as a superior handling car. It handles great, but so does the 350Z ... they both have their own advantages and disadvantages in terms of handling, but considering that the 350Z handles pretty well out of the box, I can't see many cars leaving it behind in the curves. Despite the fact that that the 350Z is far from perfect, it is still one of the better handling cars out there.

With the RX8 MPS due here (Well this is what Mazda Dealership is saying) I think around the twisties the 8 will be quicker than a FI'd Z

Not disputing it one way or the other, but just curious why you would say that? Are you saying that you think that the RX8 would be a quicker car than the 350Z given equal power?

I've watched a Best Motoring video where RX8 killed 350z in the corners

I think I have that race on one of my DVDs. Though, wasn't that particular RX8 on R-spec tyres? If so, then those tyres alone make much bigger difference in the corners then any supsension/set-up will ever do.

·
Registered
303 Posts
nice write-up! I've added it to the pinned thread.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
David do you feel the RX8 is Wobbly after the hard corner compare the 350Z? Because i driven both, Well i have RX8 manual overseas not here. But my Cousin got the Auto Version. So i tried the car on cornering, but felt it's scary to throw the car cornering ( i mean cornering is Doing 80kmh on 30kmh Zone cornering) It's felt the RX8 is Floating or it's just my imagination?

But both car is excellent, the RX8 manual is great but don't like low rpm trying to stall below 2000 rpm or Jerky on the 1st gear.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
David do you feel the RX8 is Wobbly after the hard corner compare the 350Z?

I don't know the RX8 as well as I'd like (yet) as I have had only a few opportunities to be inside one. Though, one time was at DECA and I thought the car was very well balanced and also had very good stability. The suspension feel very soft, and that gives the car a lot more lean that I would like ... I don't suppose that's what you feel?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
well the 350Z felt more heavy and more Stick to the ground, the RX8 is more agile, yet felt it's easy to lose control on the hard corner? Maybe i'm just a bad Driver hahahaha

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well the 350Z felt more heavy and more Stick to the ground, the RX8 is more agile, yet felt it's easy to lose control on the hard corner?

That makes sense ... in particluar if you're coming from the 350Z. The 350Z has incredible rear-grip and that makes the car stable and secure. On the other hand the RX8 is a lot more likely to get its tail wagging and that might be what you're feeling.

Though, I have been in an RX8 being pushed hard (and over the limit) around a figure-8s handling-loop at DECA and even though the car was sliding when pushed hard (that is front and/or back), it was still very secure and balanced. No matter how hard the RX8 was pushed, it always seemed to be pointing in the right direction and easy to control.

So maybe you're just not used to the movement from the back ... but from my experience most well-balanced cars will have some movement from the back ... not snappiness, just a bit of passive steering from the rear. 350Z (in particluar with stock tyres/suspension) is an exception as it's unusual to have that much grip/security at the rear and still have decent amount of turn-in and front-end grip.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You still prefer RX8 or 350Z? Because the RX8 forum suspect you might Trade in your Z for RX8 lol

lol, do they? Why is that so? RX8 is not really for me ... it's a very nice sedan-like car, but not a sports car in a true-sence. I often complain that the 350Z is not 'sporty' enough ;-)

If I wanted a 2nd car to carry people and shopping around then an RX8 would be close to the top of the list ... for the money it'd have to be between that and an STi.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
If I was to buy a second car dedicated to "commuting", I wouldn't get an RX8. The engine's too high-maintenance, and it'd be a hassle. I'd probably buy a Corolla or Golf. While its not as much fun to drive as an RX8, its more practical and lower maintenance.

But it would also give me the opportunity to remove the "daily driver" aspect from my Z, and tune it a lot harder for fun. :)

I'd also agree with you that the Z33 isn't sporty enough. Despite what Nissan and others say, to me it feels more like a grand tourer than a proper sports car. While its not as soft as the S(n)oarer or Jaguars, compared to Silvias and Integras the Z33 is too heavy, soft and "remote" for me to consider it a sports coupe.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The New Golf GTi is VERY INTERESTING :) been hearing alot of Good things about it. In term, practicality, Value, Performance, Quality, etc almost cover every aspect :)

There is one in the Motorshow in Melbourne At the moment :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
RX8 would be a great car with a V6 (or V6 turbo) donker inside, but since Mazda is only maker left using the WANKER (not spelling mistake) engine id never opt for it. If its not made by Cesna it should not have a rottary engine.. simple.

As a "day" car id have to choose Subaty Liberty GT, preformace quality safety style and its well priced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought a great day car ..... VW Golf 1.9 TDi. This car flies and does 900+ kms on 50 litres of fuel. Even better would be the new 2.0 TDi...... 320 Nm and 103 Kw. Not bad from a diesel. I had a drive of one yesterday. Very quick for a small hatch...6 speed box and all the bells and whistles not seen on the Z

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hey blue 350z, why didn't you buy the 2.0?
I drove the audi A3 equivalent, great car, and plent of low down torque. I have had a Citroen C5 2.0 diesel for the last 3 yrs (still have it and use it as a third car). It has been great and 1000km per tank. Luv the lazy low down grunt that it has, but the audi (and VW) are better due to more Kw and less weight. Will be getting the Audi for the wife later this year!
Anyways enjoy!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts