Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks, . All in all, for the money I think the Z is a great car and the newest versions are getting pretty dang potent! I have been out of the loop a bit, but don't they have 330bhp now in some models!? I am curious as to the REAL performance of the skyline we have coming to america. I wonder how it will compare to the other big players (Z06,Viper, ///M, ect.)

the new skyline will spank a zo6 and a viper, doing this with a tt 6ixer. this car was designed to compete with a 911 turbo, a car that gm or dodge cant understand. yes a vette is fast and so is a viper but in this relm they are just outclassed. to me sprorts cars are ment to be drivin in more then just a straight line. and the skyline is solid proof of this.(buy the way the skyline is even wider then a zo6.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I really mean no disrespect. sincerely, really i don't....but who buys a Z to "take down" a C6 or an SS in a straight line. These are not the cars or "races" (IMO, obviously) with which your Z is competing. It astounds me sometimes. If you want to drag race, buy a drag racer.

Haven't you ever entered the freeway with a long curving entry where the "recommended" speed on the curved ramp was 30 and you took at at 70....(maybe eked out 75 with a bit of a concern?) and your heart pounded when the tires didn't make a sound....there were absolutely no squeals, no real concerns except wondering if you are taking this beast beyond that limit....not the straight ahead speed limit?)

That to me is why I drive this car. Straight ahead speed is for a different breed of driver. I prefer the sweat beads on the brow when you execute turns that this car was designed to execute but you wonder if you can execute them. Believe me, on that on ramp...when the SS behind you leaned over, the driver slowed down because it was about to smack the guard rail.

IMO, (only my opinion as always) the wrong people drive these cars sometimes. I test the limits in handling and speed (and I may get burned), but straight ahead speed is for big block V8s.
+1 The Z holds the road like a champ! A few months ago I was coming home through the mountains on I-80 and hooked up with two WRXs. We were driving down through the curves swapping first spot and passing everyone else on the road, then I looked down and saw my speed was about 115 MPH. Whoa! The kicker to this story is that my lovely wife was asleep in the passenger seat through every bit of it! Talk about smooth!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
+1 The Z holds the road like a champ! A few months ago I was coming home through the mountains on I-80 and hooked up with two WRXs. We were driving down through the curves swapping first spot and passing everyone else on the road, then I looked down and saw my speed was about 115 MPH. Whoa! The kicker to this story is that my lovely wife was asleep in the passenger seat through every bit of it! Talk about smooth!
That WAS one of my better posts and one of yours as well....;) BTW, we always talk about smooth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the new skyline will spank a zo6 and a viper, doing this with a tt 6ixer. this car was designed to compete with a 911 turbo, a car that gm or dodge cant understand. yes a vette is fast and so is a viper but in this relm they are just outclassed. to me sprorts cars are ment to be drivin in more then just a straight line. and the skyline is solid proof of this.(buy the way the skyline is even wider then a zo6.)
That might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

·
Registered
719 Posts
i saw a video on youtube with a z goin down the track with a fully built motor, twin turbos and he blows his engine. they showed the hole in the block i could put my fist in it i **** u not. it was crazy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
holy crap! I totally forgot about this thread, so long ago.

Camaro's and Trans Am's are highly underrated from the factory, I've seen some dyno at 310rwhp.

What's with this ridiculous import vs. domestic arguments? I like both, especially the C6 :bow:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
i saw a video on youtube with a z goin down the track with a fully built motor, twin turbos and he blows his engine. they showed the hole in the block i could put my fist in it i **** u not. it was crazy.
That was performance motorsports, now known as Vinny Ten Racing.

Apparently something went wrong with nitrous they had on - was supposed to gradually increase, but it got the 300 shot immediately and blew up.

G

·
+1. I completely agree. I don't really understand why there is such a competition between american muscle and imports, like our Z.

I think everyone to a certain degree has to show off to someone. The american muscle guys tend to show off to the import guys. But, there are times when the american car just isn't designed for the same purpose and might not corner or handle as nicely, and vice versa goes for the import cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
lol i just wanna see one of you attempt to take a c6 in the twisties.... i think that'd be funny. the ss's are no slouch either, but yes they're mainly meant for straight lines with a hint of a couple curves. c6's are a whole different class of car tho.

lol and woman for the last time!!! the goat is MINE! :oops: lol

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I
Haven't you ever entered the freeway with a long curving entry where the "recommended" speed on the curved ramp was 30 and you took at at 70....(maybe eked out 75 with a bit of a concern?) and your heart pounded when the tires didn't make a sound....there were absolutely no squeals, no real concerns except wondering if you are taking this beast beyond that limit....not the straight ahead speed limit?)

Did you ever notice that some curves are under-posted while others really mean it? Yeah, some curves you can take at 2X+ the posted speed limit, yet others you'd better regard their recommendation. I would've thought this speed posting would be a standard. Does anyone know how they estimate these speeds? Radius of turn?

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
+1. I completely agree. I don't really understand why there is such a competition between american muscle and imports, like our Z.

I think everyone to a certain degree has to show off to someone. The american muscle guys tend to show off to the import guys. But, there are times when the american car just isn't designed for the same purpose and might not corner or handle as nicely, and vice versa goes for the import cars.

The basic problem is that you can race another car on the twisties unless you are on a track whereas there is ample opportunity to go at it straight ahead which is why they're are so many such encounters.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Did you ever notice that some curves are under-posted while others really mean it? Yeah, some curves you can take at 2X+ the posted speed limit, yet others you'd better regard their recommendation. I would've thought this speed posting would be a standard. Does anyone know how they estimate these speeds? Radius of turn?
Poor visibility and/or congestion.
It may not be a tight radius, but if it is against a mountain side or anyplace that you can't see oncoming traffic within a certain distance, they make it a slower limit, especially if there are homes and people in the area.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
yes. I have noticed that phenomena. I was entering the 5 south from the 57 west in OC and it appeared like a really nice easy loop but they were very close to what they asked for speed wise and I was apparently just a RCH faster than I should have been. pulled it out but I do try to pay attention to that stuff.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts