Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my back from the sunday morning car show, when I ran into a C6.

He stayed 2-3 cars back, and he'd hit it. When I saw him coming up fast in my sideview mirror, I'd nail it, but was never able to catch up. He just kept pulling further away from me. He did this a couple times.

Then I ran into a Camaro SS, with a loud exhaust. I get the jump, but he pulls past me 1-2 cars, and shut down.

Moral of the story: I need F/I :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was on my back from the sunday morning car show, when I ran into a C6.

He stayed 2-3 cars back, and he'd hit it. When I saw him coming up fast in my sideview mirror, I'd nail it, but was never able to catch up. He just kept pulling further away from me. He did this a couple times.

Then I ran into a Camaro SS, with a loud exhaust. I get the jump, but he pulls past me 1-2 cars, and shut down.
Moral of the story: I need F/I :helpsmilie:
What mods do you have currently? I hope to beat a Camaro SS w/o F/I.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck! those things are beasts, they've got the torque, gearing, moddability and camaro's weigh around the same as Z's.

My mods:
Nismo Intake
Nismo Catback
AAM Angled Spacer

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
The SS's aren't all that fast in stock trim. I'd say a Z would stay next to one no problem, stock for stock. My buddy had a T-top auto SS that I drove around all the time, and it really didnt seem as fast as the Z. Go figure.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I really mean no disrespect. sincerely, really i don't....but who buys a Z to "take down" a C6 or an SS in a straight line. These are not the cars or "races" (IMO, obviously) with which your Z is competing. It astounds me sometimes. If you want to drag race, buy a drag racer.

Haven't you ever entered the freeway with a long curving entry where the "recommended" speed on the curved ramp was 30 and you took at at 70....(maybe eked out 75 with a bit of a concern?) and your heart pounded when the tires didn't make a sound....there were absolutely no squeals, no real concerns except wondering if you are taking this beast beyond that limit....not the straight ahead speed limit?)

That to me is why I drive this car. Straight ahead speed is for a different breed of driver. I prefer the sweat beads on the brow when you execute turns that this car was designed to execute but you wonder if you can execute them. Believe me, on that on ramp...when the SS behind you leaned over, the driver slowed down because it was about to smack the guard rail.

IMO, (only my opinion as always) the wrong people drive these cars sometimes. I test the limits in handling and speed (and I may get burned), but straight ahead speed is for big block V8s.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The SS's aren't all that fast in stock trim. I'd say a Z would stay next to one no problem, stock for stock. My buddy had a T-top auto SS that I drove around all the time, and it really didnt seem as fast as the Z. Go figure.

I know this sounds stupid and ricer, but its the truth...the LS1 does not FEEL NEAR! as fast as it is. Here is why.

WIth the LS1, it pulls, from down low right to redline. NOthing changes, it just pulls!

Now, with your Z, it doesnt have near the low end punch of the bigger pushrod LS1, so it feels weak down low, but when you wind it up, it starts to push you back, feeling faster and faster as the rpms rise. THis makes it feel a lot faster than a car like the LS1.

You would not TOUCH an LS1 car stock/stock in the 1/4 mile assuming average cars and no driving snafus by either. Here is a Cayman S trying...notice the high rpm pull? LS1 3rd gear is stoopid and its very long and lets that motor put all 300whp to good use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFpghlNezlY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqb012dVZFc

·
Registered
756 Posts
I know this sounds stupid and ricer, but its the truth...the LS1 does not FEEL NEAR! as fast as it is. Here is why.

WIth the LS1, it pulls, from down low right to redline. NOthing changes, it just pulls!

Now, with your Z, it doesnt have near the low end punch of the bigger pushrod LS1, so it feels weak down low, but when you wind it up, it starts to push you back, feeling faster and faster as the rpms rise. THis makes it feel a lot faster than a car like the LS1.

You would not TOUCH an LS1 car stock/stock in the 1/4 mile assuming average cars and no driving snafus by either. Here is a Cayman S trying...notice the high rpm pull? LS1 3rd gear is stoopid and its very long and lets that motor put all 300whp to good use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFpghlNezlY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqb012dVZFc
but why do i care about 1/4 mile? :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
504 Posts
but why do i care about 1/4 mile? :shiftdrive:

Never said you did, was just telling the other poster that the LS1 is a deceptive car. Contrary to popular belive they handle decent for what they are as well. MUCH BETTER than mustangs. I will say though, the Z would be faster on a track with lots of tight curves and not many straights. The one I rode in handled VERY nicely. I was impressed with its handling most of all. Driver never stepped on it and below 3K it felt weak (never went above 3K). Handling was VERY NICE THOUGH! I liked the ride. It rattled more than my Trans Am though I thought. (over the same roads).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Haven't you ever entered the freeway with a long curving entry where the "recommended" speed on the curved ramp was 30 and you took at at 70....(maybe eked out 75 with a bit of a concern?) and your heart pounded when the tires didn't make a sound....there were absolutely no squeals, no real concerns except wondering if you are taking this beast beyond that limit....not the straight ahead speed limit?)

That to me is why I drive this car. Straight ahead speed is for a different breed of driver. I prefer the sweat beads on the brow when you execute turns that this car was designed to execute but you wonder if you can execute them. Believe me, on that on ramp...when the SS behind you leaned over, the driver slowed down because it was about to smack the guard rail.
Yea!! :yourock:

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I suppose one could make the Z a pretty quick dragster, but, imo, once in a while the real stuff this car was designed to do needs a voice....;)

I'm certainly not advocating taking gnarley freeway on ramps at higher than posted speeds....

·
Registered
504 Posts
I suppose one could make the Z a pretty quick dragster, but, imo, once in a while the real stuff this car was designed to do needs a voice....;)

I'm certainly not advocating taking gnarley freeway on ramps at higher than posted speeds....

Sadly most accidents happen in corners and not because of car or driver but external circumstance (gravel, ect.). I will say though, the SS can handle decent, its far from the swine you make it out to be.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
the SS can handle decent, its far from the swine you make it out to be.
you act like swine is a bad thing....no bacon? no center cut pork chops? no loin roast?" swine isn't a bad thing....just not prime rib ;)
imo, the Z rocks the twisties....

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
you act like swine is a bad thing....no bacon? no center cut pork chops? no loin roast?" swine isn't a bad thing....just not prime rib ;)
imo, the Z rocks the twisties....
Are telling me all these delicious meats come from the same animal. Oh surfcity, your so naive! (said in Homer voice)

·
Registered
504 Posts
You have an effective 40rwhp defecit against that car. If you can add 40whp to the tires without FI I think you can do it. Otherwise it aint happenin'. Just called the shop to sell my SLP lid and they told me they had a bone stocker running 12.88's.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
You have an effective 40rwhp defecit against that car. If you can add 40whp to the tires without FI I think you can do it. Otherwise it aint happenin'. Just called the shop to sell my SLP lid and they told me they had a bone stocker running 12.88's.
I saw a couple of black ws6's at auto cross last month. They looked like they where about to tip over going around the corner. You could see the one guys mullet get thrashed around the car every time he yanked on the wheel. those things looked like school busses out there.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I saw a couple of black ws6's at auto cross last month. They looked like they where about to tip over going around the corner. You could see the one guys mullet get thrashed around the car every time he yanked on the wheel. those things looked like school busses out there.

Woohooo, want to take a crack at my car? Well guess what? It's payed for and I am 21 and there are a lot better things that are going to be coming my way in the next few years than a 6-popper nissan or solid rear axle pony car. If you think you are special or "better" in some way I would think again. 28 and all you have is a Z? Maybe it impresses local highschool chics, but at 28 with a Z you are just like everybody else. Get over it. Or maybe all those mods you did to it makes you special? Who knows. All I know is that if I am still in a Trans Am or 350Z or anything at age 28 it will be because it is a DD or a fun car, not a source of internet dick swinging.

Carry on.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
**** boy. I was just sharing a story about a mullet wearing ws6 driver settle down cowboy! Why would you assume it is a personal attack on you? And by the way, i am not going to list my personal possessions in a dick measuring contest with you but no my life is not my car. Glad you could find my profile by the way.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
**** boy. I was just sharing a story about a mullet wearing ws6 driver settle down cowboy! Why would you assume it is a personal attack on you? And by the way, i am not going to list my personal possessions in a dick measuring contest with you but no my life is not my car. Glad you could find my profile by the way.
why do you even care what his response is??

1 - 20 of 71 Posts