Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I met up with 350ztrackspec and his (loaned) Porsche 911 Convertible. It is a '99 model and is a Tiptronic. We met up to see how my 350Z (with Hi-tech exhaust & K&N Filter) help up in comparison. The 911 is still the 3.4L model, and hence less powerful than 3.6L 911s than came a few years later. Still, the 3.4L 911 produces 221kW @ 6800rpm, and 350Nm @3000rpm. Very impressive figures in particular if you take a look at the revs where both figures occur. I tried to dig up some performance figures for a '99 Tiptronic 911 Convertible, but in my quick search had no luck. I might look again later. Still, I did find figures in the older Motor mags for the Coupe and 4WD versions of the same 911. Mind you they were also manuals. Still, figures are better than I remembered:

'99 911 C2:
weight = 1320kg
0-100kph = 5.07sec
400m = 13.23sec

'99 911 C4:
weight = 1375kg
0-100kph = 5.64sec
400m = 13.76sec

The convertible is heavier at 1395kg, but still lighter than the 350Z. So the extra weight and Tiptronic can only make it slower.

Anyway, we went out to some nicely secluded streets and lined the two cars up. This is how things went...

Acceleration comparison:

- Test #1: 10 - 160kph, both cars in 1st gear:
We did this a few times and the 911 always seemed to get a little jump on the 350Z. Not a huge one, but maybe 1/4 car-length. After that the cars stay pretty even until I change into 2nd gear when the 911 jumps another 1/4 car-length ahead. The 911 is still in 1st gear and pulls away a little bit more before it shifts into 2nd gear. Then again there's nothing between the 2 cars until the 350Z needs to shift into 3rd gear. While I'm in 3rd the 911 is still in 2nd and pulls away another 1/2 car-length or so. Sp the 911 is 1 - 1.5 car-lengths ahead at abut 110kph mark. Then again things are pretty even and I would say that the 350Z even pulled back 1/4 of a car-length before the top of the 3rd gear. Though, at 140kph I had to shift to 4th gear while the 911 is still happily in the 3rd gear. Therefore the 911 starts ever so creeping away again and by 160kph had 1 - 1.5 car-lengths. on me. We tried this a few times with a similar result. Closest I got was maybe 1/2 car behind by 160kph.

- Test #2: 0 - 160kph, standing start, 911 torque stalled, 350Z aggressively launched:
The outcome of this race depended on how well either car launched. The 911 always launched well, and with no wheelspin, so it was really up to me. Couple times we were more or less side by side through the 1st gear, but once the 911 got a 1/2 car-length jump on me, and another time I got 1/2 - 3/4 car-lengths lead by the end of 1st. If the 911 was ahead then the same pattern as in test#1 emerged where I it would stay even through the gears, but on gear-changes the 911 was pull away ever so slightly. Still, I don't think that the 911 was ever more than 1 car lengths ahead.

The few times that I out-launched the 911, I would keep the lead (or maybe even extend it ever so slightly) to the top of 2nd gear (ie. 100kph). Then the 911 would gain 1/4 car-lengths or so as soon as I shift to 3rd, but when it would shift to 3rd then things stayed pretty much even again ... all the way to 140kph. At 140kph I had to shift to 4th gear, and while the 911 was still in 3rd, it would pull a fraction of the group back. Though, at the end of the race I'd be 1/2 to 1 car-lengths ahead at most.

- Test #3: 0 - 160kph, standing start, 911 stared in drive (and with no revs), 350Z aggressively launched:
In this scenario the 350Z would usually get a better launch and pull away 1/2 to 1 car-lengths straight away. From then of same patterns emerged where the 2 cars very even except for when I had to shift to the next gear (as the 911 would still stay in the lower gear for a little while). I might have been pulling away ever so slightly towards the top of 3rd gear, but nothing significant. At around 160kph, (ie. the end of the race) I'd be maybe 1 - 1.5 car lengths ahead.

- Test #4: 40 - 160kph, rolling start, both cars in 2nd gear:
Surprisingly the 350Z had a better initial pull and pulled maybe 1/2 car-lengths ahead within the first second or two. Because I had the 'momentum' I'd extend the lead a little bit to 100kph or so ... maybe to 1 - 1.5 car-lengths. Though, then when I had to go to 3rd then the 911 would make a little bit of the ground back. Nothing major, but at around 160kph there was again maybe 1 - 1.5 car lengths between us and the Zed was ahead.

So in summary the 2 cars were pretty close, but I would give ever so slight edge to the 911 ... even a Convertible and in Tiptronic form. I'd say at best (once on the move) my Zed stayed even with it, but would loose a little bit of ground between 100 and 120kph, and then again between 140 and 160kph. Zed could out-launch it with a good launch, but only if the 911 was not 'torque stalled'.

I'm sure that 350ztrackspec will chime in as to what it looked like from inside the 911.

ps. We only had the driver in each car, and I had maybe just over 1/3 of the fuel in my car. Not sure how much fuel was in the 911.

Impressions:

350ztrackspec took me for a spin in the 911 and the 1st thing that really hit me was how hard the car pulled in the 6,000 - 7,000rpm range. The top end pull in that car was amazing. Also the traction that the 911 had at the back was insane. It was almost impossible to break traction at the rear, and to do so we had to 'bag it up' on some mud/dirt that was on the road. Even then it would still rocket off forward ... marvels of rear-engined layout. In terms of suspension tuning, to me it felt really soft and had a fair bit of roll. Though, I'm sure that's the way they want to set up the Convertible as I'm sure it's main purpose is cruising.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
cool writeup David

i had a run with a 996 Carrera (with LOUD exhaust) and what looked like those cut slicks

on a roll from 100 we were neck and neck till we both ran out of road. It was if he didnt even change gears, the 996s must have tall gearing, and it wasnt an auto

from standstill he got me off the line and held half a car length till end of 2nd then i shut down. No wheelspin on the 911, it just launched, i had a little. But im getting nowhere near as much wheelspin or traction issues as you always comment on. I launch from around 3000rpm, very slight wheelspin, then it just hooks up. Past 5000rpm u notice an increase in pull, pulls right to 7000rpm, it almost feels flat below 4000rpm in 1st at WOT, like ur waiting for the revs to increase

i also ran a manual VZ SS sedan. Got him off the line, went right through to 3rd and maintained the gap throughout, he was a bit behind my rear bumper

·
Registered
342 Posts
There was so little in it when we lined up side by side it was hard to pick a clear winner on a 400m sprint. There were times where I'd see David's Z hook up nicely in 1st and while i'm in first i'd see his car leap foward.

The 911 launch was awesome everytime however the only time i was clearly pulling away was between David's gear changes.

The thing that is most intresting is...I've been driving the 911 now for one week without driving the my Z at all. The other day i jumped in and even after being in David's car the Porsche just seem much more powerful.

On any given race track the Z will run circles around this particular 911
1/4 mile hard to pick but I'd have to say i'm leaning towards 911
1000m sprint hands down 911

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
got 15K to spare? Twin Turbo your Z then 350Z win hands down LOL.

Just kidding.

Just seen the Latest Top Gear Episode.
Reviewing BMW M6 vs Porchse Carrera S vs Aston Martin Vantage.

And you can guess who is the winner :)
After i love the 3 cars :) For me there is no winner lol.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The other day i jumped in and even after being in David's car the Porsche just seem much more powerful.

I totaly agree. The 911 felt a lot more powerfull ... though, where I really felt it was in the last 1000rpm (ie. between 6,000 and 7,000rpm). Bellow 6,000rpm I could not notice much difference in terms of 'feel'.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if u think that 911 is quick, drive one with 2 turbos ... but even then, SL55 still creams it.....hard!

Sure thing ... bring either one of those out and I'll be more than happy to line it up ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts