Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday the 4/11/05 @12:35AM I was driving back from my girlfriends house on the freeway just after the Pascoe Vale exit. I look in my rear view mirrow and see two headlights flying my way.

It was a VK Commodore didn't look like much from the outside, all that was evident was a monster tacho and the rumble of the exhaust.

He slowed down right next to me (suprise, suprise) He looked at me for 3 sec....and as soon as i saw that, dropped into 3rd and we were off. Both held it flat out through 3rd.....4th....5th He was pulling away but suprisingly not by much but still convincingly....By the time it occured to me that the fat lady has sung i was doing 213kmph he was definately close to about 250kmph.

So as i take the hume highway exit his at the lights infront of me. As soon as i pull up he gives me the thumbs up in the rear view mirror, to which i reciprocate. He stuck his head out and asked how fast were you going...i asked him he goes i dunno 200k max speedo.

So he took of on green (sideways of course). We pull up at the first red light directly after. Both cars side by side.

I put my window down asked him if his dynoed it he replied to me with a 400hp @ the wheels...auto with a shift kit.

So i anticipate the adjacent light to go amber.....We get green! I dropped the clutch with the rev @3k and floored it. My ass end stepped out of line, with (sigh) wheel hop. My wheels were scrambling for traction all through out 1st gear(**** launch i know!). I still managed to be half a car ahead of him. I could hardly hear my car because of his.

I hooked second the rear steps out again for a slight moment then hooked up and still half a car ahead....I could see his shift light going off in the corner of my eye. By the time i snapped 3rd his car just started hauling ass.

I'll tell you what even though he convincingly one, for a 400hp car and mine being pretty much out of the box it did a really good job of keeping up.

I mean some of the Z's in this forum with moderatish mods would of reeled him in. Go the Z! I lost but i 'm proud of the effort.

Long live the Z

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Thanks for sharing 350ztrackspec. The highway pull (ie. from roll) is more indicative of the cars acceleation. The stand-start run was a great win, but it comes down more to reaction time and the launch more than anything else. To 100kph it's not that hard to be beaten by Camry if the Camry gets the jump on you ... afterall, it only takes about 100m to reach 100kph in the Zed and that is not much room to haul the other car in.

Still, Commodores are never known for their off the line traction. Automatic should help, but if he broke into wheelspin then literaly anything that's not spinning wheels would be quicker across the intersection.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Nice run.
Sounds like you only kept up with him in from the lights cause he was spinning.
BTW, what speed did you start the rolling start from and how many car lengths did he have on you when you / he stopped racing?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rolling start was @ 100kmh and by the time i got to 210 he was about 6 or so cars infront.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
rolling start was @ 100kmh and by the time i got to 210 he was about 6 or so cars infront

Cool. But that I'd say that you were on full throttle for good 20 - 25sec.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Let me tell you now, pulling away from someone in a rolling start from 100km/hr is a convincing victory. It just goes to show how much power the vehicle has if it can get away in the top end. If they can put a couple of carlengths on you from 100km/hr to 200km/hr, that's a crapload of power.

One thing I've noticed at the track is cars with similar power / weight ratios can't really pull away from each other, unless the drivers are capable of pushing the car to the limit. Down the main straight of Eastern Creek (which goes for at least 1km, from a 2nd/3rd gear corner, and funnily I'll come on to the main straight at 70-110km/hr and hit 200km/hr before my braking point, so very similar to your street race) I'll keep up with 265kW HSVs and 150rwkW S15's, and Porsche Boxsters with 150kW will keep up with me.

This was Hi-Tech only, so I was making 165rwkW at the time.

The higher up the gears you go, the greater the power differential required to really get away from someone. If he pulled a half a dozen carlengths on you in the higher gears over that kind of span, then that car is seriously quick.

As people have said, standing start to low speeds is a bit more "skill" or luck oriented than the rolling start. I've beaten 90's HSVs in an 80's Volvo, and kept up with R33 GTS-t's in a Pulsar, from a standing start to 80-100km/hr.

As for pulling this kind of stunt in the middle of the Melbourne metropolitan area..........you're lucky I'm trying to turn over a new leaf when it comes to telling people engaging in foolhardy activities exactly what I think of them.

Honestly, take it to the strip or track and play there. This kind of behavior is what gives import drivers and Nissan coupe drivers a bad reputation in the media. I happen to like the fact that the 350Z is seen as a "class above" the Silvias, Skylines and other Nissan sports cars when it comes to attention from the uniformed revenue raisers. And its mainly because its owners, due to the cost of entry, tend to be a little older and a little more mature about things.

That's not to say I've never given it a squirt off the lights with someone, but I've always backed off just over the speed limit. If I ever do hit high speeds, it'll be out in the middle of nowhere, so there's no witnesses for me to take out should I make a mistake.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Point taken. The 200km dash was on a freeway and the hole time we were racing there were no cars in 1km radius, we never passed any cars during the ordeal. As for the race off the light as all zed owners know 2 nd gear falls just short of 100kmph i snapped 3rd gear and thats when he passed so again just over the speed limit(80kmh zone).

Very hard to resist when the car next to you is revin its nuts off. It's almost like your dream women lying in your bed completly naked when you get home??? How do you say no? It almost feels ilegall to! It's almost as if if you had said no, you might as well throw on a pair of high heels and be that naked women. I've got issues i know. (excuse the analogy too).

But i'd like to cast a poll and ask the users of this forum a question.

If a car pulled up beside you at the light on public road, and arked you up, would you or wouldn't you race?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
It may almost feel illegal not to, but it definitely is illegal to. Not sure what its like in Victoria, but in NSW your car gets impounded for street racing, and if you're lucky you'll only lose your license and cop a massive fine to stay out of jail.

And, for your analogy, if my boning my "dream woman" could be in any way illegal (to truly fit as an analogy), I don't think I'd do it either. The only ways it could be illegal is:

1. if she's under the age of consent
2. I'm raping her

Neither of which really do it for me. Hence I'd find it quite easy to resist.

As for your poll, 9 times out of 10, I won't. Partly because I don't want to risk law enforcement. Partly because I'm over it. Partly because there's no point - the Z33 isn't good at launching.

As I said, off-street its a different story. That'd be like my naked dream girl being (at least) 18, giving me a "come hither" look, and asking me why I'm not similarly clad. She wouldn't be able to finish her sentence ;-)

If its on the drag strip there might be certain people I want to line up against, and I'll try getting in to the queue in such a way as to take them on. On the track, there may be certain cars I'll try and enter the session with so I can test my mettle against them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts