Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I discovered that I need new tyres today... well a cop did but that's another story.

Anyway, I remember reading a wheels magazine a while back with a comparison of tyres for the 350Z. Unfortunately I threw out all my old motoring magazines a couple of weeks ago (timing huh?) Does anyone have that magazine? If so, could someone tell me which tyres they ended up recommending?

I have no idea what would be good tyres for everyday use. I don't go to the track but I like to drive... shall we say, enthusiastically :) As I know nothing of the tyres available I figured whatever they recommended would be good enough.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Cheers,
Rhys

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by DavidM@Jul 6 2005, 07:26 AM
I don't think that there has been a tyre-test specificaly for the Zed. They usualy use some Commodore/Falcon variant. Though, if you want some info from the local tyres tsest then look in this thead as some info has alreadsy been posted there:

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...topic=3667&st=0
[snapback]127280[/snapback]​

From memory this tyre test was specifically on the 350Z Which was why I was keen to see if anyone else had that magazine. Thanks for that other link but i'll just wait till nang gets back to me and buy whatever wheels recommend. I am way to busy to spend much time researching the different tyre models at the moment :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm lookign for new tyres too so I'll be interested to know if you can dig up that article.

Originally posted by Contempt@Jul 6 2005, 06:37 AM
Long story short I discovered that I need new tyres today... well a cop did but that's another story.

Anyway, I remember reading a wheels magazine a while back with a comparison of tyres for the 350Z. Unfortunately I threw out all my old motoring magazines a couple of weeks ago (timing huh?)  Does anyone have that magazine? If so, could someone tell me which tyres they ended up recommending?

I have no idea what would be good tyres for everyday use.  I don't go to the track but I like to drive... shall we say, enthusiastically :) As I know nothing of the tyres available I figured whatever they recommended would be good enough.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Cheers,
Rhys
[snapback]127247[/snapback]​

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
From memory this tyre test was specifically on the 350Z Which was why I was keen to see if anyone else had that magazine.

I've got every Wheels and Motor mag that has come out over the last 10 years and I don't remember a 350Z tyre specific comparo. Though, if someone does have it them I'll be very interested in seeing it myself.

Closest thing I can remember is a small spread where they were recommending R-spec tyres and used 350Z to show them. Though in there most of the tyres (if not all) that they showed were not available in 350Z size. I remember being excited that the Bridgestone RE070 were coming for the Zed but so far noone knows anything about it (including Bridgestone).

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
DavidM is correct - there has never been a road tyre test conducted by either Motor or Wheels on the 350Z. In reality, this will never ever occur either, for 2 reasons.
Firstly, the Z accounts for a poofteenth of car sales in Australia, so not many readers would be interested in tyre testing on a low volume 350Z.
But more importantly, there are so few tyre choices for the 350Z, that they would struggle to fill a single page.
For those of you looking to buy new tyres, what you need to do is find manufacturers of the 350Z size tyres (there will only be 2 or 3 choices is you want the same type of tyre on the front and back) and then research these brands to determine which would suit your requirements best.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I will have to "slightly" disagree!

I can remember when they had their long term Z they did some sort of testinging on the Z along witha few other cars. From memory i think the S03's won?

Sorry I no longer have the issue as I gave it to my son's preschool a while ago.

I personally have the S03's (265's all round) on my car and I think they are about the best "reasonably" priced tyre you can buy to fit the Z. Keep in mind I have the Track and there are a few more choices for the touring.

As always

H

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by harryw@Jul 8 2005, 04:36 PM
I will have to "slightly" disagree!

I can remember when they had their long term Z they did some sort of testinging on the Z along witha few other cars. From memory i think the S03's won?

Sorry I no longer have the issue as I gave it to my son's preschool a while ago.

I personally have the S03's (265's all round) on my car and I think they are about the best "reasonably" priced tyre you can buy to fit the Z. Keep in mind I have the Track and there are a few more choices for the touring.

As always

H
[snapback]128931[/snapback]​

Given I know sweet fa about tyres this is good enough for me. Now i'll just have to do a ring around for prices. Thanks harryw.

Cheers,
Rhys

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by harryw@Jul 8 2005, 07:33 PM
The cheapest I found them was at Bridgestone and they were $395 each.

Sorry they are 245's BTW!

As always

H
[snapback]128959[/snapback]​

In Canberra the cheapest I could get them was $440. One place quoted me $515, another $505... ****, it really pays to shop around. The guy said they don't make the S03's in 225/45/r18 :( so I will be running re040 on the front and SE03's on the back.

Cheers for the help :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yeah, do as Harry has said, run 245's on all 4 tyres. Its possible because the track uses 8" wide wheel all around, unlike the Touring which has 7.5" wheels on the front.
BTW, Harry, does offset vary between front and rear wheels on the Track model?

·
Registered
562 Posts
The offset is exactly the same, so it's not a problem.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Another reason why I should have bought the Track model.

When I factor in the cost of a brake upgrade and 2 additional 8" wheels, I'm already up for over $6K - the difference between a Track and Touring.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Originally posted by KY350@Jul 11 2005, 05:56 AM
Another reason why I should have bought the Track model.

When I factor in the cost of a brake upgrade and 2 additional 8" wheels, I'm already up for over $6K - the difference between a Track and Touring.
[snapback]129653[/snapback]​

Michael,

If your happy with track spec stuff you can get second hand brembo track brakes for a around $1800 ($US I think) from the states and I was able to buy x4 17" wheels for about AU$1000 with brand new tyres on them so im sure you can find some track 18" for similar money somewhere if thats what you want.

Low Mile Brembos: AU$2200
Low Mile Wheels: ~$1000

Total = Around $3200

If the stock 17" rear are 8" wide, Peter has my old rear 17" wheels im sure he would sell you.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
From what I understand, the Brembos should fit under the 17" wheels. I don't want to buy new wheels if I can avoid it.
Before I look to buy Brembos, I will get some DS2500 pads for track sessions using the standard brakes. If they don't hold up, then I'll get the Brembos. I'd only be after the calipers / lines as I would prefer to get new discs / pads.
Also, I'm trying to be realistic - considering I'm no Fangio, I might take a while before my driving skills exceed the limits of the stock braking system with better pads. So I may be able to hoild off on an upgrade initially.
BTW, I am happy with the brake performance on the road, even with stock pads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts