Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the latest speed magazine (May 05). Has a write up on the Nizpro TT 350Z.

300rwkw 731nm torque runs 12psi boost

uses 2 x 300kw Garret GT2530 type spec internal wastegate ball bearing turbos.

Host of modifications including full engine strengthening.

"boost friendly 8.5:1 compression ratio...offers Ross dished & forged slugs, uses Nissan rings, custom H-beam con rods and ARP rod bolts. Crank has been heat treated, balanced, linished and chamfered. Uses stock cap bolts and has competition Nissan bearings. Camshaft duration and lift is standard Timing gears valves and valve gears are also standard Enhanced lubrication thru a modified oil system and heavy-duty springs"

cost: approx $50K odd for the TT with motor build etc(they don't give the actual cost and bear in mind it is a one-off) & another $30K in the body, wheels, interior and stereo!!!

WHOA!!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I read that last week end and couldn't help but think what sort of spare cash you must have if you can throw nearly another $100k into any Nissan?

Why not just go and get a GT3 or some such!

For a bang for your buck you can't go past the APS system.

As always

H

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Read that also. The owner wanted a Veilside look alike Z - how original. If I had that sort of money to put into the Z, I'd stroke the motor first and then add TT just for fun while keeping the stock external appearance. Imagine, no traction until 5th gear!!!!!

Actually, even more insane than the 731Nm Nizpro Z was the featured F355 Ferrari that also underwent the Nizpro treatment, belting out 550kW and 930Nm odd at the wheels - that would be one fast Italian!!!

Nizpro does some fine work, but **** its expensive.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I much prefered the Ferrari too, that still looked stock but went like the bejesus!!!!

I also think the money sunk into the zed was alot, but also Nizpro charged this guy an arm and a leg because it sounded like they didn't want to do the conversion from the start.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's common practice. When you don't really want to do a job, you put a ridiculous price on it and if they go ahead you make a shitload on it.I can't write what it is normally called as it is a little too rude, let's just say it's sometimes called "knob tax" and you get the picture.

As always

H

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Originally posted by harryw@Apr 23 2005, 04:15 AM
For a bang for your buck you can't go past the APS system.

Bearing in mind that APS' TT kit puts out a similar power figure, for under a third the cost.

The only difference is that the bottom end on the Nizpro engine should be able to run more boost for longer a duration (which will of course require a driveline upgrade, but should the owner ever want to try maxing out those GT2530's.....) than APS'.

Still, there's no way all those engine components and the rebuild are worth $35K unless Nizpro are charging a "you'll need to recoup the profits we missed working on your single car instead of 4 Fords" fee.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No doubt the APS system is good value, but you can't really compare the two. One system is made for the mass market and the other is a one-off original build (most of the engine included).

I know which one I would prefer, but it all comes down to budget.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Originally posted by KY350@Apr 23 2005, 05:39 AM
Actually, even more insane than the 731Nm Nizpro Z was the featured F355 Ferrari that also underwent the Nizpro treatment, belting out 550kW and 930Nm odd at the wheels - that would be one fast Italian!!!

Correction - it was 'only' 890Nm.

Wish I was rich enough to afford "knob Tax" :biggrin:
Actually, the first Z that Nizpro TT cost the customer $45K and this 2nd job was the same (except for the owner supplied exhaust) and cost $50K - so this guy paid at least $7K knob tax.
Nizpro say that it takes months to do the conversion, which sound ridiculous to me. What could take them so long??? They must operate on a system where the do not order or manufacture the items involved in the conversion until you drop off the car. Surely, the could make / order all the neccesary bits and then install onto the car once every item is in stock. Then the job would not take any longer than 2 weeks work.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It might have taken month the first time but after that it's called lazy!

They're probably looking at it as the icing on the cake and not the core business...which is modding Skylines and 200sx most likely.

Still lazy imho...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Puzzles me that they reduced comp down to 8.5. Sure maybe it will run 2 bar but I would rather keep the comp a little higher and have better low down.

And again it depends what you are after.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Rizk - I thought that also, but with 730Nm peak, I suspect that the Nizpro TT will be generating at least 300Nm (ie stock torque) at 1800rpm. Then at 3500, the beast starts to unleash.

Personally, I prefer the APS TT solution as a better daily driver. But on a racetrack, the Nizpro TT may be more suitable (assuming a hi-po radiator was installed).

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Originally posted by mchapman@Apr 25 2005, 06:37 PM
The turbos used in the Nizpro kit are smaller than APS's x2 GT2535R, so even though they have a forged bottom end the kits potential is less.

Well, if you leave those bits as-is and just start winding up the boost then I'd say the Nizpro setup (its technically not a kit) will have more headroom.

I'm willing to bet that if you leave the and turbo and bottom end of both cars as-is and just start winding up the boost, you'll hit the limits of what the APS-fettled engine will handle before bits of piston make a mad dash for freedom well before the Nizpro donk starts choking because the scroll-shaped pipework blocking up in the exhaust is too narrow.

I know someone with a HKS GT2530 mounted on a daily driven and regularly tracked SR20DET that makes 240rwkW with the stock bottom end (which means 8.5:1 compression with non-forged internals in an alloy block). What's the likelihood of the OEM VQ35DE supporting 480rwkW for any length of time?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I would have to say that even though the Nizpro guys used 'smaller' turbines, the fact that they have a reinforced motor must mean that the have far greater potential than the APS way of leaving the bottom untouched. Remember, APS say the zed will run 'safely' on stock internals to 300 kw but no more with their kit.
Nizpro got a higher result in peak power and shitloads of torque and I suggest they could keep winding up the boost for a while longer quite safely even though they have smaller turbos!

Still for all that cash, I just don't know!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Come on guys, that goes without saying, forged internals will always take more than stock parts, especially in our engines, i was talking from a turbo potential point of view.

When your hunting for higher numbers in the future you dont want your turbos being the first things which need replacing. Especially if you've already spent $45K.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Originally posted by mchapman@Apr 26 2005, 05:06 PM
Come on guys, that goes without saying, forged internals will always take more than stock parts, especially in our engines, i was talking from a turbo potential point of view.

Sorry, when I read the word "kit" I thought you meant the entire kit and everything that comes with it, not one (or two, I guess) of its parts.

Regardless, since the Nizpro engine is not a "kit" in the true sense, you can just buy whatever turbo you want and tell them to make it fit. Get yourself a GT-RS instead, since its an even bigger turbo than the GT2530. Or a pair of HKS T51R Kai's if you're chasing big numbers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts