Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a 2003 350z Track. I'm thinking of geting some lowering springs but I don't want to ruin the cars suspension by geting the wrong kind. I just want it a lil lower than it is.

Are there lowering springs out there that has the same spring rate that the track spring has?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
You can't really go wrong with the Hotchkis, Eibach, or RS*R. I've heard good things about all of them. Just decide exactly how much drop you want and go with that spring. :cheers:

You might not be able to get everything perfectly back in alignment after you lower it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You might not be able to get everything perfectly back in alignment after you lower it.
Buddy, what do you mean?

I am going in for an alignment tomorrow morning after installing the hotchkis lowering springs. What should I embrace myself for?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I wanna know too.

Are there alignment concerns we need to be aware of?

thanks!
ok, going to the dealership to find out. Will let ya know if there are any issues.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The dealership said everything was adjusted to within spec, except the front driver's side camber is off by a tenth of a degree. He said nothing can be done about this, and not all Zs are built this way, but one way or another, I will never feel such a small difference.

I guess unless the Z is dramatically lowered, adjustability with stock suspension parts should not be an issue.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The dealership said everything was adjusted to within spec, except the front driver's side camber is off by a tenth of a degree. He said nothing can be done about this, and not all Zs are built this way, but one way or another, I will never feel such a small difference.

I guess unless the Z is dramatically lowered, adjustability with stock suspension parts should not be an issue.

Good to hear. But what about the pics of the lowered car????

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It has been raining for the past two weekends here, and I would be embarrased to take pics right now. Once the sun comes out on a weekend, and she gets washed, I'll post pics.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Not the best pic, I know (taken with cell), but at least it shows the lowered height without the filfth :lol:

·
Registered
459 Posts
so 350zluvr, you lowered the car with the hotchkis springs - springs only right? - and when you brought it to get an alignment they fixed the majority of camber issues? I lowered by 3 series bimmer before and I had crazy camber issues causing my tires to go bald on the inside in about 4 months or so. I DO NOT want this happening to the Z. so, in your case, you put them on and just got an alignment and the camber is fine???

one other thing, what about the stock shocks, do those need replacing as well? or is the amount you lowered it not low enough to cause any problems down the road?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
so 350zluvr, you lowered the car with the hotchkis springs - springs only right? - and when you brought it to get an alignment they fixed the majority of camber issues? I lowered by 3 series bimmer before and I had crazy camber issues causing my tires to go bald on the inside in about 4 months or so. I DO NOT want this happening to the Z. so, in your case, you put them on and just got an alignment and the camber is fine???

one other thing, what about the stock shocks, do those need replacing as well? or is the amount you lowered it not low enough to cause any problems down the road?
Hey, I just posted on your other thread. All is within spec now, camber as well. The amount that the Hotchkis springs lowered the car, they should work fine with stock struts. I have also not heard other having any such problems with the Hotchkis lowering springs.

Do you have any idea as to the type of springs you are planning oin using?

·
Registered
258 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey guys! I have a 2003 350z Track. I'm thinking of geting some lowering springs but I don't want to ruin the cars suspension by geting the wrong kind. I just want it a lil lower than it is.

Are there lowering springs out there that has the same spring rate that the track spring has?

Thanks!

Are you really ok with your oem shocks? Your on oem unrevised shocks that are known for poor rebound control otherwise known as bounce and porposing. I highly recommend either Tokico D-specs or Koni's. That being said, their is a little bit of info on the Hotchkis springs that relates to the 03/04 car's having the shocks that they do. Here's a cut and paste from a email from Hotchkis in reply so someone commenting on their rear spring rates being softer then oem.

09-01-2004 06:34 AM

VandyZ
Human Consult-2
Nashville, TN
Report post | IP: Logged
Here is an email I got from John Whatley of Hotchkis:
quote:

There is no error on the spring ratings. The rear spring is in fact softer than the stock. The reasoning behind this is that: during testing we found that the rear end likes to bounce under hard cornering. By reducing the spring rate in the rear we were able to get more MPH in slalom testing and stopped the bouncing that occurred. These springs in conjunction with our swaybars will be matched with each other to provide a neutral feel under hard cornering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you really ok with your oem shocks? Your on oem unrevised shocks that are known for poor rebound control otherwise known as bounce and porposing. I highly recommend either Tokico D-specs or Koni's. That being said, their is a little bit of info on the Hotchkis springs that relates to the 03/04 car's having the shocks that they do. Here's a cut and paste from a email from Hotchkis in reply so someone commenting on their rear spring rates being softer then oem.

What effect does lowering the back more than the front have on the downforce from both the front and the rear? specially on hwy driving? I also have an 03 track looking for a half inch drop. What would be a good route. (I dont want to upgrade shocks)

thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
What effect does lowering the back more than the front have on the downforce from both the front and the rear? specially on hwy driving? I also have an 03 track looking for a half inch drop. What would be a good route. (I dont want to upgrade shocks)

thanks
I won't invent an answer on the downforce thing, just to say that given the number of car's with the Hotchkis springs, if their is any effect that shows up in driving, owner's haven't noticed it. Might make a good conversation with Hotckis, tell them your concern's and see what they say in defense.

I'd stick with the Hotchkis springs at .6/.8" and fab yourself a 1/8" thick spacer out of lexan that would be slipped above the rear oem upper spring seat. I've successfully run up to .6" in spacer height their without issue.

Here's a picture to explain the spacer thing. On the left is a oem upper spring seat, to the right are the lexan spacers I made.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts

Thanks!
Just got done installing a set of skunkworks spring off of EBay for $160. It has a similar ride on smoothe asphalt but gets noticeably stiffer over bumps. It rides great and handles much better. The exhaust is noticeably louder ;)
lowered

lowered

stock

side by side stock / lowered

1 - 17 of 17 Posts