Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a general question in this matter. I've looked at reputable turbo kits for the VQ and the range I'm seeing is $6000+. Well just poking around the internet I see on ebay 2jzGTE motors for $1500 - $3000 all day. Then I see turbo kits from $1000+++. With just a stock 2JZ and twin turbos you can turn the boost up with minor mods to support for 400+ HP. I understand 2JZ platform will handle a lot more HP then VQ. SURE FINE. Why the **** would I spend the money on upgrading a VQ when for the price of the kit I can buy a motor and turbo... and have a platform that will support 600+ HP without breaking into internals?

Just my general questions. Not asking for technical specifics. Just fill me in please.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Engine swaps are not easy on modern platforms like the Z33. Sure, you can do a custom install of the 2JZ, but don't forget to add some $$ for a standalone ECM to run the whole thing. Also, unless you're an expert in Nissan electronics, the IPDM will not interface with the aftermarket ECM and you'll lose HVAC, ABS and BCM features.

Interfacing computer controlled systems on modern cars is usually the limiting factor in having a fully-functioning vehicle after you've spent the time and bucks on "merely" doing the mechanical swap.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
2 immediate things come to mind...

1. I've never seen a quality all inclusive twin turbo kit for $1000 ... so be sure to compare apples to apples.

2. Whatever money you save on the turbo kit (assuming you can sell the VQ for a 2JZ - which you probably can) you'll spend on the aforementioned ECU upgrades, custom parts to integrate the 2JZ into the z chassis, a custom intercooler/piping setup, and so forth...and as DK mentioned the headache in getting the cars electronics all on the same page.

it's been done but that doesnt mean its a good idea -

·
Registered
408 Posts
"Technical specifics"...my man,thats the kicker.

How hard can it be?

Got to think, if it was easy, many would be doing this swap.

As a somewhat old timer, your post brought back memories of my first car.
A 57'Ford. Did 4 different engine swaps. From the stock 292 V8 to at the end a
honkin 427. Basically, since these were entire motor/tranny changes, just fabricating
motor mount changes and that was it.
As already mentioned, to do your swap and get everything to work right will involve
a Pandora's box of figuring it out. Plus, no telling the motor you select will have insides
cost effective for all the grief.

Suggest giving this more thought or, maybe just buy another car that will suit your
power needs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys/gals (whichever you are ha). For the most part I read an article on the 2JZGTE that stated with turning the boost up and simple mods it'll push 400+ on stock turbos and of course no change to internals. Also given you could go as far as 600hp relatively easy. Granted I am by no means knowledgeable enough on the subject to support the claims (obviously). I've found engine harness kits for $800 thats plug and play and yes you lose some BCM features. Tach, ABS, etc/whatever. Also seen the transfer kits for engine and tranny. Still to get a Z to 600+HP you're looking at minimum 7-8K on turbos alone. The 2JZ just seems the way to go.. Can anyone point me in the right directions for a detailed explanation of the swap?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
your nuts...on more things than one...

first, I think I'm $20k deep in my engine/turbos/cooling (just the engine, not the whole car, just the heavy thing in front of the steering wheel) and Kyle at IPP says my engine will hold 600hp but I am so far away from that that I have to laugh out loud...so if someone said 7k-8k they are lying to both of us...

second, stop reading and start talking to real people (in your area) who've done this stuff ... on both the 350z and the supra...I can't tell you the hours I've spent reading...and equal almost nothing...stop reading, start doing...

third, I have no doubt that a 2JZ can handle 600+...but take the word 'easy' out of the equation...if it was easy, everyone would be doing it...

forth, if you're not knowleadable on these topics (which is perfectly fine)so you should prepare to pay someone who is...all the money you saved on an engine and turbos...yeah, labor/knowledge is expensive!

if you really really really deep deep deeeeeeeeeeeeep down inside think you'll hit 600 easier with a swap than a turbo build please please please please pllllleeeeeeeeeeaaaasseeeeee do it an create a awesome thread documenting your progress...because in the 8 years I've owned my car only a few people have done this versus hundreds of people adding turbos and superchargers on the OEM and getting there...

I'll be your biggest cheerleader but your delusional thinking this is a weekend swap...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am considering doing the same swap actually. People tell me im crazy, but if
I get what I want still at a decent price compared to all the money I would put into engine/turbos/cooling, I don't care if
It's easy. It's going to be a project, but I believe it will be worth it.

Please document prices mechanics and how-to detailed post about all your progress and specifics with it if you do choose to go the 2jz swap route.
Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts