Votes: 0 0.0%
  • APS Single T

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok for starters, I am looking at these 3 kits for use on the project car. I will be doing a full writeup on the kit that is chosen, including dynos, installation guide, full kit evaluation and opinions.

Let me know your opinions on these 3 kits, and vote for which you would like to see used on the 350z-tech Project car!

I have my own opinions about each kit, but i would like to hear from others as well.

Turbonetics http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Turbonetics...urbocharger_Kit
* Price: $5,570
* Installation Time: 10-14 Hours
* Power (at the wheels): 386hp @ 8PSI
* PSI: 8 PSI
* Turbocharger: Turbonetics Stage V T60-1 Ceramic Ball-Bearing Turbocharger with Turbonetics Evolution External Wastegate
* Intercooler: Spearco Front-Mount Intercooler
* Fuel: Modified stock fuel pressure regulator, Turbonetics 380cc fuel injectors, Walbro 255lph in-tank fuel pump
* Engine Management: Turbonetics ECU Reflash
* Exhaust Manifold: Uses OEM Exhaust Manifold
* Piping: Stainless-steel polished mandrel-bent exhaust piping, aluminum mandrel bent powder coated black chrome intake piping
* Air Intake: K&N Air Intake
* Blow-Off Valve: Turbonetics Raptor Blow-Off Valve
* Oil Pan: Not Included
* All necessary parts are included.

There are variations of this kit. There are a few extra parts for the 5-Speed Automatic 350Z. There is a tuner version; this includes everything except fuel upgrades and engine management. There is also a part to replace the downpipe to have a high-flow catalytic- converter instead. Also, warranty is 12 month/12,000 mile no-fault, no-hassle, on EVERY part of the kit.

Notes: Turbo included with the kit is good to about 650 RWHP at roughly 18-20 PSI. Fuel system included with the kit good to AT LEAST 500 RWHP with proper tuning. No issues as of yet have been reported. Ability to run aftermarket headers as long as the outlet flange is in the stock location. Must use either a y pipe back exhaust (Apexi, Tanabe, Fujitsobo, etc) or a modified dual. Upgraded compressor wheel or turbo available through Turbonetics as part of the kit at an added cost. Turbonetics would need to know your output plans to customize it to your needs.
<hr>
APS
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Air_Power_S...urbocharger_Kit
# Price:
# Installation Time: 12-18 Hours.
# Power (at the wheels): 386 @ 9PSI
# PSI: 9 PSI
# Turbocharger: (1) Garrett GT3582R Dual-Ball-Bearing Water-Cooled
# Intercooler: (1) Air Power Systems (APS) DR Series Bar & Plate Air-Air Front-Mount
# Fuel: Air Power Systems (APS) Return Fuel System (Rubber fuel lines, Walbro 255lph in-tank fuel pump, (6) 500cc fuel injectors, Air Power Systems (APS) fuel pressure regulator)
# Engine Management: Unichip Piggyback Engine Management
# Exhaust Manifold: OEM or optional (for an extra cost) Air Power Systems (APS) *Iron Cast Log-Style
# Piping: Polished Stainless-Steel and TIG welded intake and turbocharger discharge
# Air Intake: Air Power Systems (APS) Air Intake
# Blow-Off Valve: Air Power Systems (APS) Twin-Vent
# Oil Pan: Air Power Systems (APS)
# All necessary parts also included.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
This is going to be hard. I think any kit would be nice to have. It all depends on what you are trying to get out of your car. I myself will most likely go with the vortech, just because I like what I have seen and heard about it.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I would have to choose the Turbonetics. I've heard good things about it and haven't read many people having terrible complications with the install.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TT is out of the picture at least this year. If i am doing TT i want to do a full build on the engine. The goal right now for the project car is build a sweet daily driver that will hang with most anything on the road.

I would love a TT, but for the price, i can do alot more and post alot more articles for the site.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I think you're going to find a pretty close vote with the choices that are listed. If I were going with a ST setup, I'd probably go with the Turbonetics based on the reviews I've heard.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
I voted the Vortec SC. This was after a convo I had with a fellow Z owner at the last LI meet I attended. He mentioned how he did his own install, and it was very straightforward.

The hardest part, according to him, was the relocation of the PS fluid res/cooler. Benefits of a SC included less invasive install. Meaning, oil lines did not need to be tapped, no fuel returns necessary, etc. Plus, if you want more boost, all you need to change is a pulley. Not needing any electronics to buy to adjust boost.

Seemed like a more reliable and cleaner setup for those shooting for 400-500whp. Anyone who wants more than that needs to go TT.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is a good opinion.. hopefully this thread serves to help more people than just me decide

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how much of a difference would i feel between a turbo and a sc? there is a significant amount of torque advantage for the turbos.. but does it outweight the price/time/complications of a turbo system?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
how much of a difference would i feel between a turbo and a sc? there is a significant amount of torque advantage for the turbos.. but does it outweight the price/time/complications of a turbo system?
Take it from me Josh, I had a SC and looking back,had nothing but issues. The extra moving parts on a SC made reliability for me a nightmare.That combined with the fact that there is no COMPLETE SC package on the market other than Stillen. The Vortec and ATI lack a solution to fueling and timing.adressing this issue properly will put you over the ST price range if not into the TT range.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have to agree with Julian, if you are not a sponsor, do not solicite here. its not fair for him.

I voted APS. for several reasons.
i will give the most simple reason that everyone can understand.

A single Turbo Z vs a Vortech SC Z

single turbo will hands down beat the vortech from a complete stop.
due to the fact the the vortech has low torque compared to the Turbo. Vortech will only work its max on high rpms, while the turbo is already maxing out the minute u hit it.

the vortech will work like this.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

the singlt turbo works like this

8 9 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10

plus the vortech u would have to deal with a lot of pulley system that can be very annoying.

for future mods, u can get more out of a turbo more than a SC

i was leaning more towards SC, but now after i got a super deal on a APS TT i will go with it.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
oh by the way....the APS comes with an intercooler as well which is a plus.
very reliable, and i have not heard anything bad on it so far.
the TT will give you 8psi on the spot, i dont know how much the ST will give you.....
comparing it to Greddy gives u 5psi
before tuning

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
any comments on teh Tnetics ECU flash? i dont know if i like that idea actually..
It's competent enough to control the engine, however, I prefer piggyback or standalone EMS control over the ECU.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
oh by the way....the APS comes with an intercooler as well which is a plus.
very reliable, and i have not heard anything bad on it so far.
the TT will give you 8psi on the spot, i dont know how much the ST will give you.....
comparing it to Greddy gives u 5psi
before tuning
Every kit except for GReddy and Stillen include an intercooler, IIRC.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, no more selling stuff in this thread.. that is not what this thread is for.. its a technical discussion.. im taking out the selling comments and subsequent arguements

1 - 20 of 221 Posts