Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
For toe, I've had success with 1/32" toe out F and the same amount tow in for the rear. As for brake fluid, a good glycol based 5.1 brake fluid will help, but they are pricey. I've used Motul RBF 600 for a few years as it has high heat resistance for a DOT 4 fluid and is readily available at a lower price. For our six-speed trannys, I use Redline MT85 as it has the right amount of friction engineered in to allow syncros to function properly. I use it for my street Z as well. Good luck with your T3 Z- perhaps we'll see you at the Road America Runoffs next fall!
wow you don't know how helpful this is to talk with someone who is racing. I would forego making my own restrictor if they are available somewhere. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
wow you don't know how helpful this is to talk with someone who is racing. I would forego making my own restrictor if they are available somewhere. Thanks.
Unfortunately, the restrictor plates are custom made and not readily available for Zs. You do realize you can race the Z34 in T2 without any restrictor plates, right?

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
For 2020, the SCCA Touring committee has made recommendations for T3 to the CRB for changes to the 350Z:

- 350Z will continue to run a maximum of 245- series tires (not 275 max as I requested) FAIL

-The minimum weight of all Z33s will increase by 50 lbs (not a 50# reduction as requested). FAIL

-Dropped the flat plate restrictor on the DE and increased the FPR on the HR to 42mm (not 40mm as requested). PASS

·
Registered
13 Posts
For 2020, the SCCA Touring committee has made recommendations for T3 to the CRB for changes to the 350Z:

- 350Z will continue to run a maximum of 245- series tires (not 275 max as I requested) FAIL

-The minimum weight of all Z33s will increase by 50 lbs (not a 50# reduction as requested). FAIL

-Dropped the flat plate restrictor on the DE and increased the FPR on the HR to 42mm (not 40mm as requested). PASS
Yea I did realize that but I think for now I'm going to shoot for T3. I hate to keep asking all of these questions. I'm thinking of running Hoosier tires I have the choice of a 245/35/18 or 245/40/18 on 18 x9. what do you think? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
All other things being equal, lower is better. I'd set the car up with 35-series sidewalls.

·
Registered
13 Posts

"in the latest GCR update.

Thanks for the information, although I'm somewhat confused with regards to the restrictor plate. Are there changes to the restrictor plate for the 370Z if I'm in the T3 class? I could not determine any changes to the restrictor plates when reviewing the latest GCR update.

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Thanks for the information, although I'm somewhat confused with regards to the restrictor plate. Are there changes to the restrictor plate for the 370Z if I'm in the T3 class? I could not determine any changes to the restrictor plates when reviewing the latest GCR update.
Since the Z33 (350Z) and Z34 (370Z) are separate models, there were no changes for the restrictor plate on the VQ37VHR. According to the latest GCR (Dec 19), your T3 restrictor size remains at 37mm, but you get a weight break as the Z34 has to weight a minimum of 3275# (50 pounds LESS than my 350Z).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks The car is just about finished. I'm having a little trouble finding the stock air boxes. other then that getting the car to an alignment shop and a tuner. that should be it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What off set are you using on your 18x9? The wheels I bought are a little too close to the rotor. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
I have to use a 20mm spacer on the front to clear the Brembos. Otherwise, it's a 35 offset on my Enkei RPF-1 18 X 9.0.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The wheels I bought have a 30mm offset and using a 5mm spacer I have 6mm clearance on the caliper. I'm happy with that. Hoosier does not offer A7 in the 245/35 so it looks like I'm going with 245/40 wet and dry. The restrictor plates are at the machine shop. and I've located the stock air boxes. so for now all looks good. you know how that go's Thanks for all your help

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
So, which circuit will your first DS be held at? Will you have enough regional races to get under your belt before the NE Majors series starts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The DS will be held at Summit Point, W.Va. Back in the late 80,s I held a national competition license. The hope is that they will sign me off with a full competition license after the DS. I've been talking with the SCCA. and so far, so good. The DS.is 3/21 and a majors 4/25 with a regional in between all at Summit Point. Haven't raced in 30 years, new car, school, regional, majors, piece of cake LOL.

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Ah, Summit was my home track back in the mid-80's when I started with the Eastern Motor Racing Association (EMRA). Also ran Pocono and Lime Rock during my time there. Good luck with the DS and getting your comp license back. As an older racer myself, I find SCCA needs drivers with good judgement and experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you taper your restrictor plates from the size of the throttle down to the (37mm in my case) or did I just screw up and they are no longer a flat restrictor.

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Tech inspection at the Runoffs used a micrometer to check the restrictor itself. The hole itself has to measure 37 mm for your VQ37VHR. Did you taper the 1/4" spacer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
No I made the whole thing from one piece of 1/2" aluminum. tapering down from throttle body size to 37mm.Would you consider that a flat plate restrictor?

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I see, unfortunately the rules specify a "flat plate" restrictor. If you're asked to produce it in tech, a tapered restrictor may trigger an RFA (request for action) for the stewards. It's a creative thought, but not worth the gamble IMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I see what your saying.do you know of any other place in the GCR where they mention restrictors. other than T3 spec lines. I have another idea but it may trigger an RFA. is that a big deal ?

·
Super Moderator
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Sure, there are restrictors used in the GT classes and some are better defined. But having an RFA is a prelude to the Stewards having to interpret a rule and possibly DQ a qualifying session or worse, a race. Nobody needs that! Besides, if you drive an excellent lap (or race) and you're the only one with a different interpretation of a "flat plate restrictor", do you REALLY want to involved in a hearing with the Stewards, or have your class competitors suspect you of cheating?

Too much time wasted and brain damage if it happens. RFAs are no fun...

141 - 160 of 177 Posts