Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums so forgive me if I post this in the wrong place or if its a repeat of somebody else's post. I recently bought a 2006 Roadster and noticed that the roof cover doesn't fully latch only when the cloth top is inside. I have to force it to close and I suspect it is an issue with the elastic bands. It works when I try to put the roof back up. I saw a few videos about replacing said bands and tried to use a velcro strap. It has not worked. 5th Bow motor looks okay so far. Any advice? This video may help decipher the problem. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,459 Posts
Not sure what you mean by the phrase, "roof cover doesn't fully close only when the cloth cover is inside" Do you mean when the top is extending over the cockpit?

Second, your video seems to show the retractable roof operating normally when opening. The mechanism itself is complex and it's normal to have the roof extend right up to the point you must engage the latch manually. But if the roof is stopping before it gets to the windshield header, I suspect one of the electric roof motors has become defective. But that's only a guess, and you'll need a physical inspection to check it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean by the phrase, "roof cover doesn't fully close only when the cloth cover is inside" Do you mean when the top is extending over the cockpit?

Second, your video seems to show the retractable roof operating normally when opening. The mechanism itself is complex and it's normal to have the roof extend right up to the point you must engage the latch manually. But if the roof is stopping before it gets to the windshield header, I suspect one of the electric roof motors has become defective. But that's only a guess, and you'll need a physical inspection to check it.
Thanks for the reply! What I mean by that statement was: right at the end of the video when you saw the final step of the cover trying to close, it wasn't closing fully - I suspect because that metal bar was not folding in due to the elastic bands. By windshield header do you mean the wind breaker at the back? Sorry I'm a bit new to this. When I try to close the roof, it doesn't have any issues at all, so could it still be the electric motor then?

·
Super Moderator
1,459 Posts
Thanks for the reply! What I mean by that statement was: right at the end of the video when you saw the final step of the cover trying to close, it wasn't closing fully - I suspect because that metal bar was not folding in due to the elastic bands. By windshield header do you mean the wind breaker at the back? Sorry I'm a bit new to this. When I try to close the roof, it doesn't have any issues at all, so could it still be the electric motor then?
That clarifies your initial post. So it's in closing the fabric roof and frame in the boot that's the problem? If so, it probably is the elastic bands getting weak. Not sure how to replace those, but I bet you can go to your local Nissan dealership and talk to your parts man to get an idea (and a schematic) of where those parts go and what they cost. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That clarifies your initial post. So it's in closing the fabric roof and frame in the boot that's the problem? If so, it probably is the elastic bands getting weak. Not sure how to replace those, but I bet you can go to your local Nissan dealership and talk to your parts man to get an idea (and a schematic) of where those parts go and what they cost. Good luck!
Yes it's just closing the frame over the fabric roof once it is stored inside. I tried to use velcro straps but I think it's not tight enough to replace the bands. I found these 350z replacement bands called the spyderbands. I think that's an easy fix for the elastics. May just buy those and see if the situation is resolved. Thank you for your help !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2005 Roadster has done the same thing and worse, for some time. Yes, those bands (yours and mine) are shot and they make a huge difference in operation of the top.

Mine will get replaced when I replace the top..........which was supposed to be two years ago but, that project keeps getting pushed back due to time considerations. And, because I'm lazy.

My motivation in not just having a convertible shop do it is:

1) It's ridiculously expensive (I was quoted $2,000!).
2) I don't have a good reason to trust any particular shop to do the job and do it well.
3) It's a lot of work finding a decent shop one can trust. They all claim to be "the best". And, I've so often been disappointed. And,
4) I'm a picky **** which is why I usually end up doing things myself. And I then have only myself to blame. ;-)

Now, a question for you and anyone else reading here:

What's with the audio controls on the steering wheel? Was that available on the 2006 but not the 2005?

My Grand Touring, 6 speed Roadster requires two hands and two feet to drive at all times. I have to take my eyes off the road to see the head unit. And, even then, it sometimes is difficult to read the display and operate the controls. I would love to have at least a volume control on the steering wheel as I do on my other daily driver.

Tom Harais
Vallejo, CA
2005 Roadster, Grand Touring.

·
Super Moderator
1,459 Posts
Tom- not to take this thread too far OT, but the audio controls on the spokes of the steering wheel were a feature of the mid-model refresh of the 350Z. Late '06 Z models received slightly different IPs, door panels, watefalls and spoke audio controls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts