Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can find some kind of guide or information on how to remove my rear bumper on my 2005 350z?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't know where you can find a guide with pictures, but I can give you a verbal walk-through. I have done it before and it is confusing when you start, but easy in the end.

First, place the rear on jackstands and remove the rear tires. Inside the tire wells there are some screws that hold the sides of the bumper in place. Remove them and set them aside.

Next, under the rear bumper is a little tab that holds the bottom is place. It is right in between the two exhaust pipes. You will see it easily.

Third, remove each tail light. Open the trunk and remove the little "caps" that cover the three screws. Remove three screws from each tail light. Firmly grip the light and pull it straight back. This will disengage the "post and grommet" connections that are hidden under the light. The tail lights should now be free. Just disconnect the wires and set them aside. IMPORTANT NOTE: When pulling back on the tail lights, DO NOT lift them up. This can cause the light to dig into the paint. Pull straight back only. The light may feel like it is still held by a screw, but it is not. They have a post that fits into a rubber grommet. It can be tough at first, but trust me, you can just pull them apart.

Finally, do a check around the entire rim of the bumper. Look for any obvious screws or retainers you might have missed.

Now, time to remove the bumper. Just above and behind the license plate (hidden from view) are four clips that hold the bumper to the car. These will be a pain, but we will get to them in a second. At each tire well, pull the bumper out and away from the car. Then, slide the sides back like you are going to slide the bumper right of the back. Each side is held in place by a retainer that fits into a sliding rail. When you slide the sides back, this retainer will move to the end of the rail. At this point you can pull the retainers off the rail. Look up at the sides from under the car and you will see the rail.

Once the sides are free from the rail, you just have to deal with the four clips are at the rear. I was able to just "yank" the bumper off the clips, but I would suggest taking your time and using some finesse. Have one person hold the bumper while you try to work from the underside to free the clips.

Let me know if you need more info. If you want to get an idea of how this stuff works before you start, consult the service manual or the parts images on Pinnacle Nissan (www.pinnaclenissan.com)

This image should get you started. Notice the side rails labled as 8.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts