Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

im new to this forum, i drive past victoria road rushcutters bay some times and see a race 350z inside the Shell service centre mechanic shop.
just want to know if they are members here?

also is any one on here turbo charged or supercharged there Z? If so any experiences or recommendations about fitting a forced induction kit?
I do know of one car from a Homebush mechanic (which i dont want disclose here just yet) with the HKS Supercharger kit, results seemed ok but definally a bit over priced considering.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes he is a member here. It is Nathan Pilkington who used to race in the procar series. They know a lot about Z's and if you ever need anything done they are the place to visit.

Peter Pilkington Ph 9328 658

AFAIK there is 1 member here with the APS twin turbo and one with a supercharger (can't remember the brand).

if you click on the Search button up the top and type in what you're looking for it will search the whole forum!

as always

H

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great. I will give them a call.

reason being I am actually after a car who is in the market for a forced induction upgrade or looking for a power upgrade on the 350z in Sydney.

I actually have a turbo kit which needs a home, so i am looking for a Z owner who is willing to test and promote the kit (ie attend regular track days etc) and before and after dyno graphs.

in japan the kit is making 430PS (~400hp) at 0.6bar boost on a stock 350Z. (no intercooler or ecu)
if anyone is interested in this please email or post interest.
this is a limited offer to one car only.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi Moto,

Like Harry has mentioned there is one APS TT on here and a HKS supercharged one. I've drove in HKS and it was pretty good, there are dynos sheets for both on here. If you look at the dynos for the HKS it needs a fair bit of tuning it's A/F and timing to get the most power since it's running very rich.

Also Peter Pilkington has installed Stillen supercharger on one Zed and it's quiet good as well. I think some one from this forum drove it and they were impressed as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome Moto to the Aussie forum, I think that HKS supercharge Z is already a member on this forum if I'm not mistaken. The only locally producted F/I are from two companpies in Melbourne they are Nizpro and APS. Both companies produce Twin Turbo solutions, the Nizpro cost around $50,000 and the APS $16,500 the difference being at Nizpro upgrades the internals and blueprint's the motor as part of the upgrade and is custom built produces 300+rwKw and the APS is fitted to the stock motor and produces around 280 - 300rwKw.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/quote]

Hi Nuff,
can i be linked or sent dyno graphs as I am very interested?? the Japanese have had nothing but great results from the Z33 with performance and reliability with a bit or forced induction. Of cause a intercooler and ecu is recommended but so fair not a requirement. Something as simple as a S-AFC seemed to do the trick and give an extra 50-60PS.

more boost is able to be run with this kit with the intercooler and see's it up near 500PS which is more than enough for a Z.

I actually have x2 R32 GTRs, and a GTST-4 (currently being replaced with another RB26), as you probably can tell i am in love with the RB, but thinking to move down the Z path sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[/quote]

$16,500~$50,000..WOW, without going into too much details can you list what these come with? forged rods, pistons? crank?
This is a very expensive option considering the kind of results they are getting in japan for much less than this. The GTR was able to handles 400-500hp reliable on a reasonble fresh engine for long periods of time. I am told that the Z33 has an even better base to start from...what are your guys thoughts so far? and how different is the Jap spec to Aus spec versions?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Moto

I would'nt go near any form of F/I on the 350Z without an I/C plus some method of ignition, fuel and boost control. To many engines have already been blown (in the USA) due to lack of prober control and tuning of these variables, just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

·
Registered
562 Posts
[/quote]

$16,500~$50,000..WOW, without going into too much details can you list what these come with? forged rods, pistons? crank?
This is a very expensive option considering the kind of results they are getting in japan for much less than this. The GTR was able to handles 400-500hp reliable on a reasonble fresh engine for long periods of time. I am told that the Z33 has an even better base to start from...what are your guys thoughts so far? and how different is the Jap spec to Aus spec versions?
<div align="right">[snapback]93487[/snapback]
[/quote]

350z isn't designed with F/I in mind, it's a pure N/A motor. So, comparing the VQ to RB is like comparing apples and oranges. The VQ uses light pistons, light rods, has high compression. Now this are great on N/A motor because they save weight and power loss, but they are not strong enough for F/I.

If you go for 350z then you are limited at the amount of power you can make because your boost is limited. I've read that the 35th anniversary 350z has a lot of parts replaced in the bottom end. It has new rods, rod bolts, redesigned pistons and lots of other things. It will be slightly better for F/I. But not much better. It definitely would be more reliable at the same boost levels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[/quote]
mmm...ok thanks for your input Ztrack. the kit i have has a wastegate set at 0.6bar boost minimum, which is nothing considering. Yes I would recommend a I/C to keep things at optimal temps etc.
the kit i have is about half the price of options available to us in Aus, it uses a HKS GT3037proS 56T A/R and makes ~430PS at 0.6bar boost. with a very nice power curve, i have graphs from japan but means nothing here, as I would prefer for it to prove itself here in Australia, so people can see for themselves. as for the exact price it has not been confirmed, although I can assure it will be an excellent power/money upgrade for Z owners here in australia. Especially while the AUD$ is so strong at the moment.

how do i go about sponcership for this Australian section also?
I am not a established company as yet but am looking to help fellow Nissan owners out on parts and upgrades. I goto japan 2-3times per year, and have been associated with the Skyline Forum for over 2years helping members etc source which have been in the past hard to find for very reasonable prices.

if you are truely interested in a (sponcered) turbo upgrade for your Z, I am offering x1 kit @ a discounted price, the kit as I meantioned has already proven it self time and time again in the US and Japan. And has been featured at TAS (Tokyo Autosalon) and many other various car shows.
It is all made by a very reputable Japanese company in Chiba, Japan. who have raced and competed in many events and actually were the winners in Japans famous D1 GP in there S15 driven by Miki, and took out many honors @ TAS in there widebody 350z. they also have the TS/ORC rb26 powered 350z competing in the D1GP

i am making this single turbo kit, possible for Z owner's across australia.
preferable I would like the first one to be in Sydney, as I am based here.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
if you click on the sponsor button at the top of the page, you will see a drop dwon menu. One of the items is "become a sponsor", click on that and follow.

As always

H

·
Registered
785 Posts
Hey Moto and welcome!

It is good to have some competition in the F/I turbo market here in Oz. Sounds like your turbo kit will be better priced than what is available here & give us some options.

Regarding your kit, I strongly recommend that you talk to Peter or Nathan Pilkington (they own the race car you see).

You will need someone to fit the kit right???

They possibly could help and if Peter says it is ok for our zeds then most of us here would take it as gospel.

More info on the kit - cost, dyno's (jap ones would be ok for the moment, but also the US ones if you have them), brand etc etc would be good.

There have been many issues with F/I in the states, but I think that many have been ironed out, especially if the power upgrade stays below the 300 kw mark with lowish boost pressure.

Does your kit have a return fuel system and upgraded oil system??

You will get many questions so the more info you give will be better.

Cheers

·
Registered
785 Posts
You asked:

No....no forged internals, nothing is changed to the motor internally for that $16,500 (which is actually more like $18K)

Go to
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/350z/350z.htm

You will see all the info you need on your competition.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hi Moto,

Are you referring to the Top Secret single turbo kit? Which only includes the turbo and exhaust manifold?

I believe the TS kit removes the catalytic converters which would make it illegal here in Australia. I dont know if adding an aftermarket one after the turbo is a legal way around this or not.

This kit will also require alot of other parts to make it safe for use on the 350z. Japanese fuel has a higher octance rating than ours so we will not be able to get away with the same things that they can. We will definately need timing removed and fuel added via an aftermarket ECU, an upgraded fuel system as the stock pump is crap, shielded crank angle sensor wire to prevent the scattered ignition problem which is blowing motors in the US, a larger baffled oil pan to aid cooling and prevent oil starvation which might also be responsible for some other motors blowing in the states, an efficient intercooler etc. FYI all the parts i mentioned above are already available from various companies to buy seperately.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[/quote]

The Top Secret kit includes all to bolt up to the Z minus the cooler, ecu etc.
all of these are of cause options. which do bring up the price a bit, but gives the customer a choice, for a 0.6bar boost setting on a Hi compression motor it seems ok without but highly recommended to upgrade to a FMIC and something like a S-AFC, and possible a EBC just to regulate boost and use as a guage. To run any more boost than 0.6 a fuel upgrade, intake plenum and aftermarket ecu (ie Fcon, autronic, motec) is definally ideal.

thanks I have spoken with Peter who was great, and worth speaking to, the Z is a highly electronic dependant vechile which is prone to many problems (like all new cars) searching for more HP and without alot of R&D as done by many of these companies in Japan and here in Aus wouldnt be possible. Its all part of the game?

This option is available for genuine people looking for more HP and torque out of there car, if your worried about doing mods to your vechile then keep it std. Its the safest way. No car is meant to make more power than its designed for...and of cause there is alot of stuff on the internet you can read about, but your better off talking to real mechanics and people who have put alot of time and $ into Racing and developing this stuff, rather than reading about all the horror stories about what went wrong with this and that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts