Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this project car on the net, i read their first entry and liked their track oriented modifying approach and I know some of you will too. They are actually trying to get quantifyable results from their mods and are seemingly only modifying what needs to be. I copy and pasted their first entry below.

NTechEngineering Project 350z

Start from the bottom and work you way up.
http://www.ntechengineering.com/index.cfm?...action=datemenu

Heres there first entry on their project car:

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.ntechengineering.com/images/tracksebring4_small.jpg');}" />

June 9, 2003

At this time, the car has seen action at Moroso Motorsports Park on their road course, Roebling Road, and the 3.7 mile road course at Sebring.

We have seen some of the common problems associated with the 350 crop up on the N-Tech Z. These include the driver’s seat clunking and movement, which we hear there will be an engineering fix available through Nissan. We have the grease marks on both driver’s and passenger’s inside windows from the window track mechanism, and there is a fix available from Nissan for this as well. Our tires have been chunking, and will be replaced with a fitting street tire. Dedicated track wheels and tires will be coming as well. We have broken the third gear synchronizer, which evidently is a design issue, and a new transmission (with a superceded part number) has been installed. We have encountered some paint chipping on our Daytona Blue car.

As far as issues that directly affect the performance potential of the car, we have encountered excessive bearing/hub flex, which causes the rotor to run through the caliper at an angle, causing the brake pads to push away from the rotor when driven hard on track. This causes a very low brake pedal upon application after a hard turn. Having to pump the brake pedal helps to identify another problem: a low volume of vacuum reserve, which creates a hard brake pedal feel, but no stopping power.

We also encountered brake overheating with the stock Brembo setup on our car. This took some work, but we ultimately boiled our Motul 600 RBF repeatedly. We have found the track model to be a bit too rear brake biased. So at this point, these are among the first issues we have resigned ourselves to resolve. Another is the weight of the car. With 3/4 tank of gas, our car weighed in at 3267 pounds with the spare tire, jack, and rear carpeting removed. Not exactly a lightweight. We will attack this as well.

Oil and water temperature was higher than we would like to see it. With no numbered and accurate gauges in the car yet the only way we were aware of the problem was by the water temp needle being higher than normal (actually to the half way point) and lower oil pressure than was normal at operating temperatures. This is the reason that we are working on an oil cooler kit solution.

Nick’s best times at Sebring with the Z were a string of 2 minute 41 second laps on the 3.7 mile course, and many, many more in 2:42 range. These times were achieved with the totally stock car, on the stock tires, with our Competition brake pads and Motul brake fluid, with temperatures in the mid 70’s. When the weather got into the 90’s, the times fell to 2:43’s with the same setup, and after the addition of the 350Z StopTech 14" Front Brake Kit, our 350Z BMK battery kit, brake cooling ducts, and additional vacuum reserve for the power brake assist, our times are down into the higher 2:30’s with the temperature into the low 90’s again. So our upgrades made us into a much faster car already. The track temperatures are overheating the stock tires very quickly, which is certainly limiting the amount of improvement we can see right now. At Roebling Road, the Z produced times in the low 1:29 range.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Dude, Thanks a bunch

I believe I had the issue below and I kept telling everyone I had a problem when I first bought the car and no one would believe me :banghead:

"As far as issues that directly affect the performance potential of the car, we have encountered excessive bearing/hub flex, which causes the rotor to run through the caliper at an angle, causing the brake pads to push away from the rotor when driven hard on track"

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the stock touring brakes can exhibit brake fade after a hard drive not even at the track.

I wonder how they added "additional vacuum reserve for the power brake assist"?

They also sell the things they make for their project car. I like the brake ducts, lightweight battery kit and oil cooler kit.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by MR RIZK@Aug 2 2005, 08:37 PM

Dude, Thanks a bunch 

I believe I had the issue below and I kept telling everyone I had a problem when I first bought the car and no one would believe me :banghead: 

"As far as issues that directly affect the performance potential of the car, we have encountered excessive bearing/hub flex, which causes the rotor to run through the caliper at an angle, causing the brake pads to push away from the rotor when driven hard on track" 
[snapback]140313[/snapback]​

That is very well known and documented, if you would visit the road racing forum on my350z you would know about it. For this to happen you need to go through a fast corner. There's a document going into detail about it on stoptech website. To cure the problem (work around really) you would have to depress the brake once after exiting a corner(or approaching it) to push the pads into proper position, then you'll have full stopping power when entering a corner.

Some times you might see racecars applying brakes once very quickly when going on a straight, that's what they are doing.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Nuff, I checked the forums, and yes people are stating my same problem(Thanks again). The thing is though I asked/complained about this close 2 years ago and never had anyone come back to me with a reasonable answer and as you know we drove each others car to check out my braking issue. I think my problem was 2 fold. I had the described issue which has been in the back of my mind for ages and coupled with warped discs with a multitude of hotspots did not help the cause.

Even though the problem is not fixed I'm over the moon knowing that I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think when I drove your car, I didn't drive it fast enough through the corners to get that problem, I tried to be extra careful with your car :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
A little bit of history.
In practice for the 02 Bathurst 24 hr race we encounted a low brake pedal problem after the car had gone through the esses & the drivers were braking for Forest Elbow.
This was the only place on the track where this was happening but it was a concern to the drivers. We suspected hub flex due to the high G loading that the Pirelli slicks & off camber corner was placing on the car.
When I purchased the car new in Japan I also ordered some spare parts that I thought I might need for the race, These included hub bearings all round.
But as the car had only been on the market for 1 day, no parts were available.
A few parts arrived before the race & included 2 front hub bearings.
Well about 1 or 2am in the morning the R/H front hub completely broke going through Forest Elbow. How the wheel never came off I'll never know, but Nathan managed to get it back to the pits & we changed the hub bearing & carried on.
The week following Bathurst I contacted Nissan Australia about the hub failure as I thought there technical people should know about it. I was put on too there Public Relations Dept who proceeded to tell me that I could not expect warranty on a privately imported racecar. I tried to explain that I was not interested in warranty but I thought that the Tech Dept should know about this failure. She said she would let them know & if they were interested they would contact me. They never did.
In Jan 03 I went up to the Tokyo Auto Salon & mentioned the hub problem to the Nismo engineers I meet there . They immediatly asked if they could have the hub for research & I sent it up to Japan. About 2 weeks later I got a Formal questioner regarding all details of the failure (Speed, Tyre , Hours of service Ext).
I never heard back anything for about 3 months so I rang the Nismo engineer & he informed me that the hub had been sent back to the manufacturer (NSK). He also informed me that it had caused quite a stir as they had had no failures in Pre release endurance testing.
In mid 2003 I was contacted by Nismo & they informed me that they were sending me to new front hubs for testing & they would like me to return them if nessesary.
When they arrived they turned out to be of a thicker section.
We have used these hubs with absolutely no flex problem & Nismo has never requested them back.
What I have never checked is if the new hubs have been changed in production.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For those of you who are good at research, I posted a picture of the broken front hub on the my350z site in late 02. It may be still be archived somewhere.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks for the update. It would be great to know if the new parts have made it into spares.

If you know of the dimensions of the old and the new it would be much appreciated as I would be quite keen on giving this a go.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peter,

Did you post if from Nathans account on my350z?

Here is every thread you ever started on the my350z site, i couldnt find the wheel hub info in them. Perhaps you posted it from nizmo_pete, what is the exact spelling of that login account.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=336428

Did you start a new thread about it or did you post it inside another thread?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I also had a look with no luck. We have access to the archive but I couldn't find a way to search it. The search seems to only search current threads not in the archive :(

·
Registered
562 Posts
Also there are a lot of threads lost in the archive. I guess every one remembers all the outages that did just that.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you do a normal search from the top menu and then specifiy the Australia forum in the select menu below the search text boxes it will only search the Aussie part and it it seems to return all the older threads.

The threads it returns above are from a long time ago.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by mchapman@Aug 2 2005, 03:57 AM
I found this project car on the net, i read their first entry and liked their track oriented modifying approach and I know some of you will too. They are actually trying to get quantifyable results from their mods and are seemingly only modifying what needs to be. I copy and pasted their first entry below.

NTechEngineering Project 350z

Start from the bottom and work you way up.
http://www.ntechengineering.com/index.cfm?...action=datemenu

Heres there first entry on their project car:

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.ntechengineering.com/images/tracksebring4_small.jpg');}" />

June 9, 2003

At this time, the car has seen action at Moroso Motorsports Park on their road course, Roebling Road, and the 3.7 mile road course at Sebring.

We have seen some of the common problems associated with the 350 crop up on the N-Tech Z. These include the driver’s seat clunking and movement, which we hear there will be an engineering fix available through Nissan. We have the grease marks on both driver’s and passenger’s inside windows from the window track mechanism, and there is a fix available from Nissan for this as well. Our tires have been chunking, and will be replaced with a fitting street tire. Dedicated track wheels and tires will be coming as well. We have broken the third gear synchronizer, which evidently is a design issue, and a new transmission (with a superceded part number) has been installed. We have encountered some paint chipping on our Daytona Blue car.

As far as issues that directly affect the performance potential of the car, we have encountered excessive bearing/hub flex, which causes the rotor to run through the caliper at an angle, causing the brake pads to push away from the rotor when driven hard on track. This causes a very low brake pedal upon application after a hard turn. Having to pump the brake pedal helps to identify another problem: a low volume of vacuum reserve, which creates a hard brake pedal feel, but no stopping power.

We also encountered brake overheating with the stock Brembo setup on our car. This took some work, but we ultimately boiled our Motul 600 RBF repeatedly. We have found the track model to be a bit too rear brake biased. So at this point, these are among the first issues we have resigned ourselves to resolve. Another is the weight of the car. With 3/4 tank of gas, our car weighed in at 3267 pounds with the spare tire, jack, and rear carpeting removed. Not exactly a lightweight. We will attack this as well.

Oil and water temperature was higher than we would like to see it. With no numbered and accurate gauges in the car yet the only way we were aware of the problem was by the water temp needle being higher than normal (actually to the half way point) and lower oil pressure than was normal at operating temperatures. This is the reason that we are working on an oil cooler kit solution.

Nick’s best times at Sebring with the Z were a string of 2 minute 41 second laps on the 3.7 mile course, and many, many more in 2:42 range. These times were achieved with the totally stock car, on the stock tires, with our Competition brake pads and Motul brake fluid, with temperatures in the mid 70’s. When the weather got into the 90’s, the times fell to 2:43’s with the same setup, and after the addition of the 350Z StopTech 14" Front Brake Kit, our 350Z BMK battery kit, brake cooling ducts, and additional vacuum reserve for the power brake assist, our times are down into the higher 2:30’s with the temperature into the low 90’s again. So our upgrades made us into a much faster car already. The track temperatures are overheating the stock tires very quickly, which is certainly limiting the amount of improvement we can see right now. At Roebling Road, the Z produced times in the low 1:29 range.
[snapback]140311[/snapback]​

This is my friend and personal auto technician Nick Riefner!! He has a great Daytona Blue Z and is also an instructor for HPDE events with Chin: http://www.chinmotorsports.com/default.asp
and NASA: http://www.drivenasafl.com/
Recently he installed a Power Enterprise TT and has seen tremndous hp improvements.

Here's a small clip he sent me of a track event in North Florida a few weeks ago:
http://tinyurl.com/7zap6

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have ordered 2 hubs from nissan to see if they are different that what is fitted to the car now. They have confirmed that if the hubs are the same and not fitted they will refund me the money if required.

Nizmo Pete.

Can you elaborate a little more on what you mean by a "thicker section" I understand what you mean but not sure on what part. If that makes sense.

Also do you know if you can get the hub bolts out without removing the tie rod ends and the a-arm bolt at the top.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Nizmo Pete.

Can you elaborate a little more on what you mean by a "thicker section" I understand what you mean but not sure on what part. If that makes sense.

Also do you know if you can get the hub bolts out without removing the tie rod ends and the a-arm bolt at the top.
[snapback]141812[/snapback]​
[/quote]

The front hub can be removed without taking off the tie rod end or top A arm. Just remove the front wheel , brake caliper, disc rotor, ABS sensor, plastic dust cover &
then undo the 4 retaining bolts with a 17mm socket & tap it out.
By thicker section I mean the flange face that the 5 wheel studs go through. The ones Nismo supplied me were thicker by about 2mm

·
Registered
889 Posts
Cool bananas.. Thanks for that nizmo pete.

Will update you guys when I have compared the 2 items which should be around next tuesday.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts