Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I’ve had my z for almost 6 months now. It’s had this problem ever since I got it, basically whenever I start it up, it’ll rattle for about a second or 2. At first I thought it was the timing chain and was super scared, because that’s what the previous owner told me. However after having it for almost 6 months, if it were the timing chain, it would’ve broke by now, atleast I think. After doing some research, I feel like it’s the oil pressure rising when I start it up and it’ll rattle. Can someone tell me why it would do that tho? And what I could do to fix it. Also my oil pressure gauge will be very low when I’m Ideling and the oil light will come on but as soon as I press on the gas, it will go up. What could this be?

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Hey. I’ve had my z for almost 6 months now. It’s had this problem ever since I got it, basically whenever I start it up, it’ll rattle for about a second or 2. At first I thought it was the timing chain and was super scared, because that’s what the previous owner told me. However after having it for almost 6 months, if it were the timing chain, it would’ve broke by now, atleast I think. After doing some research, I feel like it’s the oil pressure rising when I start it up and it’ll rattle. Can someone tell me why it would do that tho? And what I could do to fix it. Also my oil pressure gauge will be very low when I’m Ideling and the oil light will come on but as soon as I press on the gas, it will go up. What could this be?
Oil pressure will always rise as engine revs begin to rise. Why? Internal combustion engines need more oil pressure to keep parts lubricated as engine stresses go up.

You don't mention how many miles are on this Z, but it sounds like this VQ may be well-used. Rod and main bearings may be worn- they don't last forever. I'd suggest you pull a UOA the next time you perform an oil change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil pressure will always rise as engine revs begin to rise. Why? Internal combustion engines need more oil pressure to keep parts lubricated as engine stresses go up.

You don't mention how many miles are on this Z, but it sounds like this VQ may be well-used. Rod and main bearings may be worn- they don't last forever. I'd suggest you pull a UOA the next time you perform an oil change.
I have 180,000 miles on my Z

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought so- that rattle could be worn rod or main bearings, but that's difficult to diagnose. A UOA might help by analyzing the wear materials left in the oil. When was the last time you changed the oil? What kind of oil are you using?
I changed the about a month and a half ago, but it’s been doing this since I got it about 6 months ago. I took it too a place so they could change my oil cuz I didn’t have time to but they didn’t tell me what they put in. Could it make that rattle noise if there was 2 different kinds of oil put in my car? And where could I get a UOA in my car

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
No, an oil change by itself will not cause an engine rattle. Did you at least check your dipstick reading to make sure it's filled up? Might want to read about UOAs at: blackstone-labs.com.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, an oil change by itself will not cause an engine rattle. Did you at least check your dipstick reading to make sure it's filled up? Might want to read about UOAs at: blackstone-labs.com.
Yea I did check my dipstick, it was saying the oil was filled. But I’ll make sure to read about it

·
Super Moderator
1,772 Posts
Be aware that kind of death rattle at startup (with low oil pressure) can result in engine failure. Take a UOA sample and send it in the next time you change oil/filter..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts