Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm still a poser at the moment, but I have been looking into 350Zs for a little while now. Going to drive one tonight. I'm poking around trying to educate myself. I started off looking for a 2000s 2 door, RWD manual car for $15K +/- and the Z is a top choice in that category. I've always liked the Zs and I like performance. I'm looking for something different than what I'm used to- I have a couple of street "muscle cars" (68 Camaro, 70 Monte Carlo) that have 540s and run in the 10s. They are ridiculously fun to drive and I've spend a lot of time making them streetable, but they aren't exactly daily drivers. The Z seems like a great car that I could drive daily, hop up a little bit and have fun in. A few questions:
Is there any year that is more desirable or less desirable?
Are there any options that I should really have or I should stay away from?
I see there is a "287 hp" and a "300 hp" version. Is there a way to tell what I'm looking at?
What sort of bolt-on performance things are "must do"? I'll stay away from blowers, turbos and N2O for now, but everything else is fair game. I'm not really into going around corners fast, but even a stock Z has to be light-years improvement over the old Chevys!

Thanks for any input or direction!

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Look up the wiki-pedia on the car to get a background on the models

In typical car manufacture style - the 287 was the first generation engine, known as the DE engine (2003 to 2005-ish), the 300 is the 'rev-up' which is 2005 and 2006 and I think the HR is 307 for the 07 & 08 model years??

dont get your hopes up on any bolt-ons - the best intake & exhaust mods along with a re-tune will yeild 15hp...If you want bigger gains it'll be from a supercharger or turbo setup.

If you think you want to modify at any point you should look into the DE engine as there are many many more aftermarket options as compared to the HR model. Not to mention there are more earlier generation cars out there for sale and they are less expensive. If you want the most you can get without mods than look at an HR.

The interior will be a little different between all 3 generations and you should sit/drive in each to get a feel for yourself.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'd add that the '07-08 Z33s received the mid-model upgrade and have improved interiors and the VQ35HR, which has more in common with the VQ37VHR used in the 370Z and Infiniti G37 than the 350Z. But beware that models weakness: an internal clutch slave cylinder (CSC) that can go out easily. There are hi-performance replacement parts for both the master and CSC, however.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Congrats- Daytona Blue is a great color to go with! As for which model your revup Z is, does it have a leather interior and VDC? Pretty good chance it's a touring model, but your VIN will tell the truth.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Very nice Z, I'm considering moving up to a 370Z, however, I have so much time and money in my 05 roadster it would seem like I am selling a piece of my self I were to make the move. Plus I want to see what Nissan is going to do with soon to be released (not really) new and improved Z car.

Best of luck with your 350z, I'm sure your going to every minute behind the wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats- Daytona Blue is a great color to go with! As for which model your revup Z is, does it have a leather interior and VDC? Pretty good chance it's a touring model, but your VIN will tell the truth.
Yep- leather with the VDC. I figured out how to turn that off and can shift at 7K without the motor dying! Weird feature. I also found the original window sticker in the paperwork and it says "Touring". I did find that the throw out bearing gets noisy- had to drive it for a while to figure that out. The previous owner no doubt neglected to tell them that when he traded it in and they didn't discover it on the check. Oh well, no biggie. It'll be a long time before I get to drive it again with this **** weather. C'mon spring!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good stuff man! I just recently got an 03 Touring in Chrome Silver Metallic and I love it! It's got it's own personality with a couple things but I am definitely glad that Im not the only new owner so far this year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep- leather with the VDC. I figured out how to turn that off and can shift at 7K without the motor dying! Weird feature.QUOTE]

VDC has nothing to do with cutting power- no matter the RPM.
Actually, I was right- it is VDC. This is from the Nissan site:

If the vehicle is stuck in mud or snow, the VDC system reduces the engine output to reduce wheel spin. The engine speed will be reduced even if the accelerator is depressed to the floor. If maximum engine power is needed to free a stuck vehicle, turn the VDC system off

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
VDC can assist with traction control from being stuck in mud or snow. But VDC doesn't cut power near redline unless the tires are badly losing traction at speed. That usually doesn't happen with good tires, but the engine does have a rev limiter that kicks in at that RPM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts