Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Slightly off topic...I saw that your state says Alabama. I added a "Not in U.S." option for you Aussies and other non-U.S.'ers.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
alan:

I think it will work just as nice as the JWT intake, but I guess JWT intake has the heat isolating walls with that? You might be able to build one yourself...

Don't wanna disappoint you, but there will not have much or even no power gain at all with the intake mod (what you will get is the sound effect to make you think you have gain heaps of HP)... so don't expect too much from that.... It has been tested out by many board members including myself... Standard airbox is a really great design already, save up for a great set of exhaust first! Exhaust gets you far greater result than the air intake!!!

cheers and good luck with it!

richie

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
ur pretty much a quarter of the way there to a DIY K&N Typhoon

the biggest modification to the Aus intake u can make is ditching the air resonator in the intake pipe bw throttle body and airbox

all u need to do is somehow shield that exposed filter from the seriously high underbonnet temps and get some cold air feed directed to it, otherwise ur sucking in hot air and losing power

its going to cost u around $120 for the filter and say another $200 odd for the pipe. I bought my K&N Typhoon for around $500 shipped from courtesyparts. Better value doing it properly imo. Check out my intake thread here

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just import the JWT kit... they were selling for 120 USD so there is no import duty.

You'll be way ahead of anything K&N is offering, price wise!

In the end you won't gain any power...so why even bother? Lots of other mods you can do where Nissan didn't do things perfect.... the air intake isn't one of them.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Yeah. I'd say to just import the JWT kit with heat shield. You don't want an unshielded pod. The Z33 engine bay runs quite hot, and the last time I was out at Wakefield there was a big heat differential between the "engine" side of my heat shield, and the metal ring on the end of the filter.

The JWT is a very well made kit. Everything lines up properly, and it comes with everything you need.

You could spend USD$265 on the Typhoon kit, or USD$120 on a JWT Popcharger, and AUD$10 on some air conditioner pipe (you might need a dollar for a pack of cable ties, and I decided to mesh the front of my CAI with aluminium flyscreen to keep bugs and bigger stones from getting in there, which cost me another couple of bucks).

Admittedly my home-made CAI rig doesn't look as good or shiny as the K&N CAI, but if all you want is to duct air in.

In hindsight I shouldn't have splurged on the US-spec snorkel. If I was that interested in airflow, I should have just pulled the narrower Australian one out, and left the hole there since its even bigger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts