Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just want to start off first by saying that I LOOOOVE the 350Z. Since they first came out I always wanted one but because of my financial situation I was never able to realize my dream. In April of this year I bought my first brand new car. It was a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT. I really loved the car but coming from a 95 Camaro Z28 I found the performance to be some what lacking. Anyways, I live in Slidell, La and I'm sure everyone is aware of the nasty little hurricane that came and destroyed the area. (Slidell is about 25mi away from New Orleans) Well my car was one of the things that got destroyed. Had about 4 1/2 ft of water and my insurance totalled it.

Because of my job relocating and making my drive a bit longer (40mi one way) I decided that maybe I should just look into getting a fuel efficent car since gas prices were getting nasty. I was at the dealership looking at some Chevy Cobalts and thats where I saw it......

She was sitting all by her lonesome so I decided to take a walk over , just to browse :) , and I fell in love. Anyways its a 2003 Touring with about 40k miles on it with Silver/Grey? paint and the interior is like grey leather. Overall the condition of the car is pretty nice. The front bumper has some small chips on it which I've read around that this is a known problem with the paint on the front. There are also a few little scratches around the gas cap and a tiny little dent on the front driver fender. The interior is in great condition with some minor wear on the leather. They sold it to me for $23,400 which I'm not sure is that good of a deal or not and I am a lousy negotiator. The Blue book of it was around 26k.

So now being a little noob I did have a few questions.
1. I would assume that it would be wise to fill it up with at least 91 octane gas since its a high compression engine?
2. How about oil? I was thinking about using synthetic and I used the Amsoil European formula on my tiburon..I think it was 5W30. Is that good for the 350? Since I love Amsoil I am going to stick with it but what oil filter from Amsoil is the correct fit for the Z?
3. Because I know for a fact that I am going to be putting some miles on her I am probably going to shy away from doing many performance mods unless there are some "safe" mods that wont affect it. Im coming from driving a Tiburon which is granny slow compared to the Z so I am already more than happy with the performance/gas mileage.
4. I don't know too much about cars but one thing I noticed... When I am driving on the interstate in the range of 73mph - 80mph I do notice the steering wheel starts to shake a little bit. Any recomendations or ideas of what that is?

I think thats all the questions I have (for now). So far I am loving every minute of the car and I definately enjoy the looks that I get when I am driving down the street in her. If anyone has any tips or anything for me then I am all ears and I am sure to be around these forums a whole lot. And of course I will definately have some pictures to come once I get settled down again.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
:welcome: and congrats on the purchase!!! And sorry to hear about you losing your posessions. One of our long time members lives in Pass Christian, MS so we are very familiar with what you are going thru. To answer some questions: YES use high octane (93/94 depending upon what is avail there) and YES You can go with synthetic! Most of us prefer it. The stock oil filter numbers are

1520831U00
1520865F00
one is shorter than the other I believe is why there are two codes.

The vibrations in your steering wheel could be due to needing an alignment or even tire balancing.
Mods that are friendly: intake/exhaust/rims/rubber etc. Easy mods for some extra ponies! :wink:

I don't know about the amsoil filters. Have fun :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:wavey: :welcome:

Congrats on seeing one of your dreams come true! As for premium gas, your manual states that you should use at least 91 octane. So it's alright. Also, almost everyone uses synthetic oil for the car. If you're going to be doing a lot of driving, I would recommend it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
1. I would assume that it would be wise to fill it up with at least 91 octane gas since its a high compression engine?
2. How about oil? I was thinking about using synthetic and I used the Amsoil European formula on my tiburon..I think it was 5W30. Is that good for the 350? Since I love Amsoil I am going to stick with it but what oil filter from Amsoil is the correct fit for the Z?
3. Because I know for a fact that I am going to be putting some miles on her I am probably going to shy away from doing many performance mods unless there are some "safe" mods that wont affect it. Im coming from driving a Tiburon which is granny slow compared to the Z so I am already more than happy with the performance/gas mileage.
4. I don't know too much about cars but one thing I noticed... When I am driving on the interstate in the range of 73mph - 80mph I do notice the steering wheel starts to shake a little bit. Any recomendations or ideas of what that is?

I think thats all the questions I have (for now). So far I am loving every minute of the car and I definately enjoy the looks that I get when I am driving down the street in her. If anyone has any tips or anything for me then I am all ears and I am sure to be around these forums a whole lot. And of course I will definately have some pictures to come once I get settled down again.
:welcome:

Use no less than 91 ever.

Plenty of folks using synthetic oil around here. Read the tranny fluid thread before you do any changes there, tho...

The 'shake' sounds like a wheel balance issue. Take it back & see if they'll do you right. Sometimes one of those little lead weights falls off a wheel...

There are a few 'safe' mods: Intake, grounding kit, sway bars, suspension, etc.... you can make the car your own without going overboard.

BTW, I love my '03 touring....though I do occasionally get griefed about it being an automatic....s'cool, tho, cause I'm jes cruisin. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Welcome to our "little" family. That's just what it starts to feel like after a while. (or -is it the Breakfast Club?... :rolf2: )

Good advice has been given to you. My only addition would be consider 3.91 gears. Mine are getting installed on the 8th. :irock:

Post often, you hear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx guys and im trying to get some pictures taken but I have been real busy with work. But the weekend is coming so I have lots of time to shine her up and take some pics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts