Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
sorry please Turn off the capslock :) because people might think you are crazy to scream when asking question ;)

Btw about the Intake. i don't recommend that. because Intake will never give you 15rwhp or even 10rwhp. mainly the Intake is to make the engine sounds alot better.

If you want the intake you can get JWT popcharger instead from USA :)

Cheers
Yun

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Righteo, i noticed alot of people on the forum have AEm intakes installed on there cars, thought it might have made a performance difference as apposed to just making the engine sound better. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
655 Posts
For the record, the AEM CAI sounds freaking awesome. Just don't pay retail price.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
A K&N drop in panel filter seems to be the better option on our car as Nissan has already done a good job of designing our intake. I would recommend doing the filter change when you upgrade your exhaust as these two mods complement each other giving more total gains. On its own the filter will never give any noticable gain.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have the AEM CAI on my Z, and I was also promised gains in excess of 20HP ----> bullshit!

You are looking at about a 3 RWHP gain, if at that, but as mentioned earlier, it does alter the sound to give a more whoooshing sound if you listen hard enough.

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with a popcharger or something of the like just because cleaning the filter on these things is a bitch. Getting to it is easier said than done.

·
Registered
258 Posts
its a fact, CAI or popchargers dont give any kw gain, but they do sound awesome!!

I had the JWT popcharger, Kinetix highflow cats and hitech exhaust on my Z and while it sounded sweet as, the total gain was around 2-3kw

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
no outright power gain with my K&N typhoon, and that has a cold air scoop, pod filter in a semi-sealed airbox and replaced the intake tube ditching the stock resonator (on Aus cars only).......but i bought it more for the noise. If anything in stop start traffic on hot days, i notice heat soak. But when its cool, the throttle response is noticeably better than stock.....so its a trade-off. Once i fit my exhaust, and cats especially, there was a significant increase in power, though whether the intake is adding to this extra power i dont know

with intakes, i wouldnt waste $120 on a dodgy intake, like Yun said, $120 and ur on your way towards a JWT popcharger at the least.....pod filters sound awesome getting on/off the throttle

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hold on, somethings not right here.

Your saying you got a 2-3kw gain on the same dyno from a CAI, high flow cats, and Hi-Tech exhaust all together?

If this was the case you wouldnt have felt any improvement... did you?
yep, same dyno same day about 2-3 hours apart, with maybe a 7-8deg temp difference max..

1st run was totally Stock with about 9000kms on it if i remember correctly, then popcharger with heatshield/cats/hi-tech all installed, quick run around the block and then dyno again

I did feel improvement in throttle response and the car felt less restrictive in the upper rpm band.. ive got the dyno sheet somewhere..

2nd attachment down in the dyno and mods sticky thread

heres a direct link to the image;

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...pe=post&id=6929

the first run was 157.8 if i remember correctly, and the guy said that sounded about right for a 206kw car

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I see, there are noticable gains on that dyno sheet, just not much to your peak figure, which doesnt tell the whole story anyway. Id say most zeds get similar changes to their dynos from those mods but their peaks are usually a bit lower to start with resulting in a higher peak figure afterwards.

If all you got was a 2-3kw gain you wouldnt have been able to feel any difference on the road. Judging from that dyno there is about 10kw increase from 130km/hr to 160km/hr. This is similar to the gains I could feel on the road from an exhaust and panel filter, from around 5200rpm to redline it pulled stronger and quicker to redline, where previously it would drop off from ~5200rpm to redline. I got alot more of a gain after I got the Unichip on to tune everything.

·
Registered
258 Posts
yeh my Z definitely pulled harder in the topend, instead of feeling constricted like the stock car and the throttle response seemed crisper..

sounded 100 times better which is all i was ever after really !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts