Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gauging interest in a 350Z Challenge Series, running the various racetracks in California. I have a tentative date of Friday, June 4, 2004 for the big road course at Willow Springs Raceway in Rosamond, CA (this is NOT Streets of Willow). It is known as "the fastest road in the west."

There will be professional instructors and timing equipment available, and included in the price. The cost will be less than $150 for the entire day (more details later). Beginners are welcome, as are more experienced drivers.

If you are seriously interested, please PM me here. I need to get 20 drivers to make this work.

If you have never driven your car on a racetrack before, trust me, it is the most fun you will ever have with your clothes on. LMAO

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm interested. 5.5hr drive would be rough but the price is good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regarding Willow Springs June "Zee for All"-

Any clue how many members might originate from Pacific Northwest?

Approximate drive time from Medford, Oregon? Zip is 97504?

Will vehicles be required to have full or partial Cage?

Very interesting outing!

A film crew is a must!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only equipment you need is a DOT/Snell 90 helmet. I bought an open-face helmet at a motorcycle shop for $70 that works fine.

Don't know how many 350Zs will be there, that is what I am working on now. I am going to Lysa's 350Z BBQ in Torrance CA today, and promoting the Willow Springs Raceway event there. At Lysa's last meet we had 20 cars.

Since the 350Z Challenge is in its infancy, we would be sharing the track with a few other Challenge car clubs. I expect Corvettes, Boxsters, S2000s, and maybe Miatas and RX-7s. We can set-up our 350Zs in one section of the paddock for photography. They take professional pictures while you are driving the track (optional, and not included in the price of the track day).

More details later.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How much track time is expected with all those other car clubs?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Generally these events have 3 run groups, beginner, intermediate and advanced. Each group should get 4 runs of 1/2 hour each, so expect about 2 hours of driving time on the track.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Richard, I like your idea, however, you really can't call it a 350Z challenge if it's just a DE event. A true "challenge" would be competition... I suspect that there will be a true "350Z Challenge"-like series developing in the coming future, but it just needs more time. Just remember that you're going to have to run through the ranks of getting an insurance carrier, and a Snell 90 helmet is simply too old.

As for an exclusive Z only event, I was speaking to Lawrence Mansier (registar for NASA ON/IN) this past weekend, and he's interesting in hosting a 350Z Expo of some sort. Not your typical ZCCA car show, but a track event, coupled with an AutoX, car show, and a drift competition. We had 12 350Zs at Mid-Ohio this past weekend, and I heard numerous complaints from many of them that their local Z clubs are only car shows.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm promoting the event, so I can call it anything I want. I have been up front about what to expect. You can't do everything at once. If we can get 20 350Zs out to Big Willow to drive, with Corvettes, S2000s and Boxters, we have succeeded in taking the first step towards a true 350Z-only series.

I don't know what DE stands for, so I can't respond to that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by Richard 350z@Apr 5 2004, 02:05 PM
I'm promoting the event, so I can call it anything I want.  I have been up front about what to expect.  You can't do everything at once.  If we can get 20 350Zs out to Big Willow to drive, with Corvettes, S2000s and Boxters, we have succeeded in taking the first step towards a true 350Z-only series.

I don't know what DE stands for, so I can't respond to that.

Richard, DE = drivers education,which is what most events out there are. HPDE =high-performance drivers education. If you didn't know what I meant, then you won't be able to taylor to a true track crowd... sorry... need more info, PM me....

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I get my 350Z up to 130 mph on the front straight at Big Willow before braking for Turn 1, that is, at a minimum, high performance driver education. Sorry if I don't have all my terminology up to your standards. I don't see why we need to carry this conversation on in PMs. Just respond here, professor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just telling you how it is since I track my car very often with various organizations. You're going to have to have some sort of insurance carrier, and they're going to have a lot of difficulty getting insurance unless you term it as a DE. For the record, I've seen cars pass 175mph in DEs, had mine over 135, and rode in a 996 Turbo that passed 160 on each lap. It's still a DE...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John -

We are conducting the track event through an organization called SpeedVentures.com. They take care of insurance. The participants should be aware that such insurance protects SpeedVentures and the racetrack, but not the individual participants.

I, too, track my car frequently. Have you ever driven Big Willow? It is a hoot in a high horsepower car. None of those little VWs harrassing you in the turns. They can't keep up, period.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Gotcha, didn't realize it was being coordinated through SpeedVentures. Are you planning on just doing three run groups? Time Trial perhaps? That could be the competition aspect of the event.

I've never been to the track you mentioned itself. I've visited Laguna Seca and Sears Point (Infineon, whatever, it's still Sears Point to me), but have never had the opportunity to drive either course. Only tracks I've driven are VIR, Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, and Summit Point. Hoping to add a few more tracks this year, BeaveRun, Road Atlanta, and Barber Motorsports Park. I really need to buy a tow vehicle first...

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Let me know when you are going to BeaveRun--I am in Pittsburgh. My husband just recently did a small job for the owner of BeaveRun (his wife is friends with my mom in law). He traded out the work he did for a few FREE runs for me
on the track there, in my Z or in one of their cars, it's up to me!!!.....It'd be fun to come out and support you even if I didn't get on the track that day!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jinxxycat -

My geographic area for racetrack events is limited to where I can reasonably drive -- California, Nevada and Arizona. I doubt if I will ever get to a racetrack in Pittsburgh. But don't let that stop you. Go out there and have fun. I highly recommend a driving instructor the first time you drive any new track.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Apr 7 2004, 01:23 PM
Let me know when you are going to BeaveRun--I am in Pittsburgh.  My husband just recently did a small job for the owner of BeaveRun (his wife is friends with my mom in law).  He traded out the work he did for a few FREE runs for me
  on the track there, in my Z or in one of their cars, it's up to me!!!.....It'd be fun to come out and support you even if I didn't get on the track that day! 

I'll let you know when I'll be there. I just drove through Pittsburgh last Thursday on the way to Mid-Ohio. Then hit snow... <_<

BeaveRun was the location that most people have suggested for a 350Z Expo, since it has the north course (pretty easy to learn), an AutoX area, and a large paddock that can be used for a car show. Regardless, I'll probably be up there for the first weekend of June with NASA running.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Richard--I do plan on having an instructor, they offer many courses there from regular street driving to a 3 day mini racing camp. Don't want my baby Lucy to sustain damage due to something stupid that might happen my FIRST time ever on a track!
THX for the advice!

John--If I am in town that weekend we will make it for sure. Just not sure when we are supposed to go to myrtle beach w/ the inlaws!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, we are all set to move forward with the 350Z Challenge track event on the big road course at Willow Springs Raceway on June 4. The price for the whole day is $120, and it includes timing equipment, which you normally would have to pay at least an extra $20 for. Timing your laps to see how much you improve over the course of the day is very informative, and most drivers really like it. Don't forget the track also charges a $10 gate fee for each person entering.

Instruction is available with two options: three drivers sharing one instructor for $10 for each driver, or a one-on-one instructor for $30. I highly recommend that beginners do one or the other.

Please get yourself a DOT/Snell 90 or better helmet. I got an open-face model at a motorcycle shop for $70 that works just fine. I still need to see if helmet rentals are available at the track, I'm not sure.

Please go sign up and pay your money now. Go to www.speedventures.net to sign up for the event at Big Willow on June 4. If you cancel, there is a $30 fee to get the remainder of your money back. Don't worry about whatever it says on the website about what you get for your $120, the timing equipment is included for the 350Z group.

Now that all those financial details are out of the way, let's go out and blow the doors off those S2000s! LOL

Richard

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Richard,
On the SpeedVentures schedule, it says: "Note you will not have time to tech your car at 7:00, and you MUST be at registration by 7:15, car tech'd and ready for the driver's meeting. "
When do you get your car tech'd? Or do you just fill in the tech form and that's it? I ask since the last event we filled in a form and needed to have someone check out the car.

Also, do we add the timing equipment in the registration form and they won't charge or don't add and we will get the box automatically?

Looking forward to this event, not my long drive though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts