Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car at 200 - 210kph or so a few times before, but I've never managed to go quicker (due to the lack of oportunity). Well, after a year with the car the time/place/safty seemed to be just about right and I streched its legs a bit. I pushed it all the way to 230kph and I must say that I was impressed at the rate of acceleration from 200 to 230kph. Most cars start looking a lot of their accelerative power at those speeds (S2000 is just one example). Though, the 350Z climed up to 230kph pretty quicky and felt like it still had plenty to go. It did not seem like 250kph would be unreasonable speed to achieve ... that is if you have long and safe enoguh stretch of road.

Last time I was impressed with the acceleration at aroun 200kph was when I drove the 911s (996). Those really felt quick from 100kph onwards and just kept on pushing even at 200kph. Not that the 350Z would be that quick, but I was still impressed.

I would love to go to one of those air-port runways and see where the car tops out. I wonder if they do anything like that here (ie. Avalon) as they have events like that in the UK?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I've hit 240, but I have no idea how fast it was accelerating at the end since I was too busy watching the road. I was also going downhill to get that speed.

What I can say is how planted the car felt. Steering inputs were greatly amplified compared to what we're used to, but if you slowed the steering rack down you could sit there at 240km/hr all day.

·
Registered
303 Posts
:hide2:

Didn't know our cars could go over the posted limit!

:rolf2:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've went 220km/h in my car, it was on a long stretch of road, I'm not sure how fast it was accelerating since I was watching the road. It didn't take long to get there from 100km/h. And yes the car was very sturdy and planted, the steering wheel was very sensitive to input as well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
For those who want to see how long it takes a Z to get to this kind of speed watch this video http://www.teamgt.it/monza290105/guido/sound.mpg

I've shamelessly stolen it from here http://www.hciforum.it/viewtopic.php?t=6765 and here's more info about it as well http://my350z.com./forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108681

And for the lazy who don't want to click on the last like here are the guys mods:
Bilstein PSS + Nismo sway-bars
Jwt Pop , Crawford Plenum , CatBack Borla , Crawford Kat
Project Mu pads front and rear

·
Registered
188 Posts
[/quote]

I didn't get the "ICY" but my cruise control was disabled after a hi-speed run. Had to switch off ignition and restart the car to reset it. I actually thought it was "cruise MISSLE control" but I was mistaken. :biggrin:

And before anyone asks, NO - I was not using cruise control at 240 :OMG: , just tried to use it after slowing down and it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
562 Posts
[/quote]

I've noticed the ICY. What is it? I've never seen it before.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
ICY is nothing more than a temperature warning. Here it kicks on at 37F. I'm too tired to do the math right now, but I imagine it turns on at the equivalent C

·
Registered
562 Posts
That would be 3C, now I know why I've never seen it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had mine up to (indicated) 250. Then ran out of road. Was still pulling OK. Car as solid as a rock though. I also drive a '04 Clubsport (apologies company car). You need plastic undies at that speed or anything over 200!
There must be an NT owner who can drive like this without impunity?

·
Registered
12 Posts
[/quote]

tonym,
greetings from the Northern Territory, I have enjoyed two driving holidays in NZ, I can reccomend the driving, views and friendly locals to everyone.

You're almost right about the NT, the open limit zones are not policed yet, most locals will cruise all day at 140 to 150 K/h on a trip down the Stuart Hwy in their new Holdens & Fords.
Darwin to Adelaide 3,000 Ks is possible in two days ( day time driving only, due to many animals on the roads at night).

There are at least three 350Zs in the Top End that I know of.
One of them (not me), advised me that his previous Z ( Aussie Track ) was speed limited at 245 K/h ( 152 Mph ).
He tried it out on a 3 lane section with a straight about 5 Km long with no other cars on the road.
He warned me that the brembos have a surprising bite at these speeds, and to ensure that brakes are applied with care. He also advised to check your tyre pressures before one of these runs!
Unfortunately he picked up a small stone through the standard grille into the aircon condenser, $$$$. He's getting a S/S mesh screen made up, to fit over the radiators, behind the standard grille.

regards,
lobster

·
Registered
303 Posts
talk about bad luck! Well at least it was just a stone and not one of the local cops from vic or NSW.

they have no sense of humour.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts