Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Dude, those are not offsets. To answer ramdaspadhye, I'm really not sure but I'm sure you could go to a Maxima site and find the car's offset there.

That is correct.. But I've already answered his last question :) I believe the OEM Offset to be 38.

Would a + 35 20" work on a max?
well, +38, 20" would work, so yeah.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Yeah, I know offset really means the distance between the wheel hub to the inside/outside of the wheel.. but everyone confuses offset with stagger (read any wheel post on here, and your bound to see what I mean) so I just figured it was another one of those questions.

On a side note, I'd actually prefer running a 245 all around setup on the Z. Should make it pretty neutral in the corners.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Yeah, I know offset really means the distance between the wheel hub to the inside/outside of the wheel.. but everyone confuses offset with stagger (read any wheel post on here, and your bound to see what I mean) so I just figured it was another one of those questions.

On a side note, I'd actually prefer running a 245 all around setup on the Z. Should make it pretty neutral in the corners.

oh god.. not another neutral comment. :p

Please please please... you don't want a neutral steering car.. what you mean is less understeering car...

Neutral would be difficult to drive :)

But I understand your comment about 245 all around.. I just want my fellow Techies to understand what neutral really is ! :)

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
What does neutral really imply? I always thought it meant somewhere in the middle of where our Z is. For example, off the gas and the Z exhibits understeer. On the gas, powered-oversteer. So neutral would mean that under mid throttle, through the turn the car is not providing oversteer or understeer.. just turn in.

I'd say I'm a fairly good driver, but I'm good enough to know I could always learn something new. Am I incorrect in my understanding of neutral?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
What does neutral really imply? I always thought it meant somewhere in the middle of where our Z is. For example, off the gas and the Z exhibits understeer. On the gas, powered-oversteer. So neutral would mean that under mid throttle, through the turn the car is not providing oversteer or understeer.. just turn in.

I'd say I'm a fairly good driver, but I'm good enough to know I could always learn something new. Am I incorrect in my understanding of neutral?

Yes, you are technically incorrect. :)

Picture neutral like pirouetting on ice. (as in not being able to turn) You must have some understeer or the car would never turn.

When you say you want a more neutral car, what you are really wanting is less understeer. "More towards neutral" or "less understeer", ok. But you don't want a pure neutral car.. you wouldn't be able to drive it well.

Car is rolling in a straight line.. you ask it to turn. You excerpt force on the tire, creating a slip angle. That my fellow techie, is understeer in it's purest sense. Without it, you would never turn.

So, again.. what you really want is a less understeering car. Closer to neutral. But never exactly neutral. :wink:

A oversteering car you would be correcting non stop.

^^^^^ This is all in the most literal and technical way of talking about it. And for the most part.. useless info unless you truly care and understand why a car does what it does. The avg. Joe will never even try to get this. They just want that "neutral" car, because that understeer is such a PITA!!! (sarcasm) .... Excessive understeer, sure. But a little bit is necessary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts