Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They got an extra 400rpm! Bastards.

We got that as well. The redline on the 'aniversary' model that we have here is at 7,000rpm. I had a look at one at the dealers yesterday and the tacho is marked at 7,000rpm.

·
Registered
352 Posts
David, I think Muzz was saying the bastards are all of those with the new model rather than just the US version.

As always

H

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David, I think Muzz was saying the bastards are all of those with the new model rather than just the US version.

Yeah, I could use the extra 400rpm as well ... I wonder if Nissan can upload the ECU program for the automatic to the manual cars ... afterall, the automatics always had the 7,000rpm cut-out.

·
Registered
300 Posts
35th Aniversary Edition Z = a little more HP, a little less TQ,a few more rev's.

No thank you. I want more USABLE power not less meat (TQ) and more HP way up high where it makes little difference, at least to a street car. TQ equals accelleration not HP. IMHO the 35th is nothing any more special than the standard model new or old, just more money and gold Z badges. Not worth it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
TQ equals accelleration not HP.

In order to maximise your acceleration, it is very important to have high power, rather than high torque. You can get high torque at the wheels by using appropriate gearing, but you cannot get high power from gearing.

Power equals acceleration!!!

Torque equals driveability!!!

And yes, what a waste of time (and money) for some extra revs, small power increase but torque loss on the 35th model. I wished that Nissan really made it special!!!

Ah, maybe the 70th ann model will be better!!!!!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And yes, what a waste of time (and money) for some extra revs, small power increase but torque loss on the 35th model.

Well, for me they did more or less what I'd want from the 350Z. Actually I'd be pretty happy to give up even more torque for exchange of power at the top-end and more revs. Heck, I'd love it to spin to 7,500rpm, have 240kW there and foir that I'd happily give up another 15Nm of torque.

Also I'm pretty sure that noone will be able to actually feel the loss of torque ... what is it, like 3% loss?

Give me an engine like that, nice sporty Recaro seats, more agressive and adjustable suspension and remove the VDC and there's not much that I would complain about. Heck, if I'm asking for things then drop 50kg as well.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Im with you David.

And when modifying theres another 400rpm to get power from, if you have a single turbo which doesnt make full boost till 4000rpm or high profile cams etc and your redline is 6600rpm then you dont have as many revs to play with on power. And each shift you make with the higher rev limit will be higher up the power band pulling harder.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Also I'm pretty sure that noone will be able to actually feel the loss of torque ... what is it, like 3% loss?

Yeah, no one will feel this loss of torque. Same can be said for the extra revs and power. The article you linked to car & driver also could not feel the difference and their track times compared to the 'old' zed was virtually the same.

400 revs extra is just not enough in my books, maybe 1000 rpm more and now you are talking! We are stuck with this engine until they bring out the 4.0 litre.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same can be said for the extra revs and power

The extra power you will not feel, but the extra revs you certainly do. I drove Lionkings auto 350Z and you can certainly feel the difference when you get to rev out for another 400rpm. Same with 350Zlover's tuned 350Z that cuts-out at 7,200rpm.

You feel it because you carry each gear for much longer. With the extra 400rpm you will reach:
- 1st gear = 65kph (instead of 61kph)
- 2nd gear = 104kph (instead of 98kph)
- 3rd gear = 150kph (instead of 141kph)
- 4th gear = 191kph (instead of 180kph)
- 5th gear = 236kph (instead of 223kph)

I know it does not sound like much to be able to do 65kph in 1st instead of 61kph, but from 2nd gear onwards you really feel it. Imagine the acceleration that you have right now in 3rd gear and that you can carry it for another 10kph.

Though, for me it makes the gearing that much better for track work as as I do bounce of the limiter a fair bit at the moment and with the extra 400rpm I would not (well at least not as much).

400 revs extra is just not enough in my books, maybe 1000 rpm more and now you are talking!

Sure, 7,600rpm cut-out would do nicely for me as well ... but that seems unlikely in the near future while 7,000rpm (or even 7,200rpm) seems doable right now. IHMO 6,600rpm is just too low, but even though 7,000rpm is not high by any means, it would no longer be 'too low'.

their track times compared to the 'old' zed was virtually the same.

Two different test so not directly comparable. Lets wait a year or so and see whats the best that they'll get out of the 7000rpm 350Z. Afterall, even the regular 350Z has pulled times that are good 1/2sec of its best (ie. the numbers that they are comparing the new one to).

ps. Best Mottoring tested the new Zed as well and pulled some remarkably slow times. They managed 13.9sec 400m pass in the 'old' Zed, but unly 14.8 with the new one. Not sure why ... will have to wait and see the episode and see what they say.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just looking at some dyno charts of different mods to a vehicle -

IT'S AMAZING - THE TORQUE AND POWER CURVES CROSS AT 5250 rpm ! !

Even different models, different engines ? ?

WHY - HOW COME ? ?

FRIZZLE

Attachments

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IT'S AMAZING - THE TORQUE AND POWER CURVES CROSS AT 5250 rpm !! Even different models, different engines ??

They only 'cross' on the graphs that have a certain vertical scale ... there's a lot of graphs where the power and torque never cross. Though, if you map all the power/torque curves onto a graph with a given vertucal scale, then there will always be some revs where the power and torque will match (not necesarily cross) ... that is because POWER = TORQUE x RMP x CONSTANT.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I'd also take the extra 400RPM (along with the engine's willingness to rev up there) in exchange for some low-end tractability.

The 350Z has so much down low already that I'm not losing much. Its no big loss if I have to drive around at 60km/hr in 5th gear instead of 6th gear, but having the extra power and revs will be appreciated on the track.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts