Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 350Z 325hp. i have never had the chance to race a M3 yet. but i was wondering if i did. will i be able to over take one?

fill me in guys... :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
543 Posts
How do you get 325HP? Is that dynoed? What mods?

If thats to the wheels (dynoed), then heck yes you will win, unless you goof.

If thats estimated based on the claims of your CAI kit and exhaust, then... probably not.

My answer is "it depends"

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have plenum, headers, cold air intake(polished), high flow cats, injen ses exhaust system

how is it a goof?

will i be able to ?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would say it would be a very close race. Anything can happen. By goof, I mean if you misshift 2nd or launch badly...

·
Registered
655 Posts
It would be very close IMO. Those buggers are **** heavy.

I took my stock Z against an 05 M3 and it wasn't a blowout by any means. With a good start you can stick with them (for the most part) and in high 3rd to 4th I was actually able to NOT lose ground.

With 325HP you should put up a very good showing.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I raced an E46 M3 once from about a 3MPH roll. Throughout 1st gear we were even, and then due to my newly installed B&M S.S. I mishifted 2nd and 3rd (trying too shift to fast), and hence he won by a long shot. His shifts came earlier than mine.

After my race, I think they are similiarly fast as Zs. I hope to race another one soon for a better comparison.

P.S. I only have a CAI for performace mods (aside from the s.s.).

Good luck and post the results :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i did go against a 330ci once. and i beat him with ease. it wasnt even close. the car was still stock at that time. staright from the dealer no addition no nothing. and it kicked ass.

thats why i was wondering with all the additions now....

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Just for your info, you can't just add up the supposed 5 hp from an intake and 6 from a plenum and 4 from an exhaust and so on...

It doesn't build like that.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the 325 is not to the wheels....but that is the total hp
not even the M3 has 330 to the wheels.

:headshake:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Where are you getting 325 from? Are you just adding up the "supposed" hp increases the manufactures of the aftermarket parts are claiming?

I've got an Injen CAI, Kinetix HF cats, Borla TD exhaust and I'm only putting 243 to the wheels. If I add 18-20% of 287 to 243...I only come up with 300. You might have another 15 hp at the flywheel with the plenum (I'm assuming you have either the kinetix or crawford?) and headers.

Regardless of how you're getting the numbers...I would also say that it would be VERY close. You may even lose by a tad.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Ayman350z, have you dyno'ed the Z?

Do you know what kind of #s you are running to the wheels?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Do parts tend to work off each other? For example, if an intake yields 10whp, and an exhaust yields 10whp, would the result of those togetehr be 20whp, or would it be more due to their interraction with each other??

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
[/quote]

Interaction with each other. That's why you see some exhaust figures say up to 15 HP or TQ - those numbers are with other components optimally tuned to work together.

Stickers, on the other hand, work completely opposite - the more you have, the more power they make :rice:

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
[/quote]

:rolf2: :doh:

And I definately concur about the 330i kill.. I just ate one for dinner about 10 mins ago. We went from a stop at a light, I didnt even launch. I just did a quick start and nailed it when he nailed it.. spun most of first, passed by a few carlengths by the top of second, and his HID's were in my rearview by the top of 3rd (at which point i realized I was doin 80 in a 30, **** myself, and hit the brakes :lmfao: :shiftdrive: )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its gonna come down to the drivers. If you can drive, and you race an SMG, you will take it, regardless of what those M3 owners say about those tranny's imo they shift slow. Ive seen a stock SMG run 13.6 @ 100-good launch weak trap speed. If you race a 6-speed, it will come down to the driver with the M3 having the slight edge(past 100). Either way shift fast, have fun and post what happens...

BTW with my set-up I ran a 6-speed from a 40mph roll, I had a passenger he didnt, I beat him by about 2 1/2 cars and pulling when we shut it down at around 120.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts