Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new 350Z owner. I want to do everything I can to the car WITHOUT VIOLATING MY WARRANTY. In particular, I would like to replace the air intake system, and put street legal (but horsepower enhancing) exhaust, from headers to tips.

Can anyone give me some guidance or share some experience on how tolerant the Nissan warranty is of this kind of modification?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
i am sure someone will chime in here, but i know there is a law protecting you to an extent.

if take you car into the dealership for a problem under warrenty, they will have to prove that your mods caused the problem before they can refuse warranty work.

so if they claim that your transmission problems are caused by your cat-back exhaust, that just will not stand in court.

there is a name to this law, but it slips my mind right now.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
This has been an issue of discussion on many forums. I am not the authority on this but I know a few things that may help. The Nismo S-Tune parts are warrantied for 12,000 miles or 1 year. They do not void your warranty. The Nismo R-Tune parts are not warrantied, and may (will) void your 3-year warranty on the Z. Other than that, I have concluded thru many searches that unless they can prove beyond a doubt that they aftermarket part that you installed actually caused a problem, they really can't say it voided your warranty.

I asked my service dept if my warranty would be void if I installed an aftermarket exhaust. They replied that if I bought the Nismo one and had it installed there it would not. They didn't give me an answer when I told them I was going with Borla...

Here is a link to SEMA about warranties. Lots of good information there about warranties and laws, and appeal process if warranties are denied.
SEMA: Warranty Denied?

Hope this helps out a bit...

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
i am glad i got a good service department that does not care too much about mods. but if anything does happen and you need warranty work done, they still have to prove tht the mod actually caused the problem.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
According to the dealers if you change your own oil it voids your warranty..The all will tell you anything you do voids your warranty but the case is they can only void it on the part you modded or if the mod caused the failure..IE N2O blowing your engine...

PS NISMO=JAPANESE PRICE GOUGING BASTARDS....
Stay away from NISMO stuff, its no better than any other manufacturer and half their stuff is made by someone else anyway...$1300 for an oil cooler,need I say more??

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I have beaten the **** out of my 350Z on the racetrack and was running the JWT aluminum flywheel at the time I had my 6MT replaced under warranty. But I agree, a cool dealer service dept. is important. I go to Performance Nissan in Duarte, Calif. They do a lot of performance mods, including some of mine.

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
here is something else on it

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302©).

but don't go throwing this at the dealer in a forceful, demanding way. that usually backfires

1 - 8 of 8 Posts