Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well is ok? I mean i hate the noise but I dont notice it as I put my music on volume 18 all the time. Possibly this noise was producing before 30K but at the end of the day i don't think it was producing any noise until recently.

Is anyone out there with 350z around blacktown area want to meet up and compare **** :)

let me know.

ps I got the blue auto track :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
ive just hit 10K and have no evidence of feathering, but on certain types of roads i get a tyre roar noise that almost sounds like i have a really flat tyre??
is that what you get?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get like Grrr grrrr grrr noise it all depends on the surface but seems the loudest around 40-50km/p mark

·
Registered
303 Posts
19k and i sound like a 4x4! (only at low speed and deceleration)

:(

·
Registered
188 Posts
My tyre guy told me that ALL tyres get louder with wear. Mine definately have. I think it's so gradual that you don't notice it till one day you realise your radio is permanently at 18.

I've been reseaching new tyres and will probably stay with the 040's. Will be interesting to compare new noise with old noise on the same type tyres.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exactly same with me only when slowing down. more noise if you slow down slowly!!!

anyway if we can take all our cars to same dealer at the same time along with a car that doesn't have the noise we can make something happen :)

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by gianniz@Nov 30 2004, 09:56 PM
anyway if we can take all our cars to same dealer at the same time along with a car that doesn't have the noise we can make something happen :)

If dealerships there are anything like the ones here in the US, they'll probably tell you the one that doesn't make the noise is the one with the problem

·
Registered
785 Posts
gianniz,
My zed has only 5K on it so no such noise. BUT, I did test drive a 2003 track with 20K on it before I bought mine and it did have the tyre growl.
It was only on deceleration at aound the 40-30-20kph mark and then you could not hear it. I asked the salesman about it and typically he said what noise?
I knew about this problem because of forums sauch as this so I didn't buy it (bought a new one instead!).
I believe the tyres feather, so it makes the tyres louder at certain speeds. Nissan know about the problem so you should contact your dealer and Nissan head office Melbourne as well.
Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks how does the tyre look when it feathers? what does that term mean? Only thing i can see about my tyres are that the inner side of the front is stepping (from one of the tyre dealer told me).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I complained to Nissan about this and they did the infamous tyre swap as the first fix. I believe the next level is tyre replacement with partial cost to client.

gianniz - auto track? I didn't know they were making an auto in track form

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Gianniz

It almost certainly is tyre feathering.

Have a look on the inside of the front tyres. You may notice flat spots all the way around the edge. Also the tyre wear is more than n the centre.

It happened to me, and my front tyres had done about 20k. It is covered by a TSB and was fixed under warranty. Based on the age of the tyres, Nissan paid 60% of the cost of a two new front tyres.

I used to get the noise mainly at low speeds and it was very noticable when slowing down. It was a sort of growling noise.

The tyres were taken off the rims and reversed so that the flat spots were on the outside and the wheels were re-aligned. All this did was to make it noisier at higher speeds and quieter at lower speeds.

I am getting the new tyres fitted on Friday which should cure the problem.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
30K done on my zed and has a bit of tire noise, IS THIS NORMAL :)

Most certainly not. Most Z's get the growling tyre noise before 30k!!!

Actually, just because your tyres growl odes not necessarily mean that they are feathered. My tyres started growling at about 18,000km and at 26,500km, I was so pissed of with the noise that I changed tyres. No tyre noises for me now.
For your reference, my tyres growled around 45km/h +/- and eventually got loud at speeds in excess of 70km/h. The tyre wear on my fronts was reletively even with the insides of the tyres just marginally more worn that the outsides, but no rough / scrubbed / flakey bits of rubber that those with feathering get. My rear tyres had more wear in the centre that the inside or outside of the tread.
Your tyre definately get noisier as they wear more and unfortunately, that noise is substancial (totally unacceptable IMO) in the RE040's.

BTW, my stereo volume fluctuates between about 4 and 9 (18 when I'm in the mood for some very loud music), so I notice all noises the car may produce.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aftermarket suspension probably does make a difference. Tyre feathering does appear to relate to toe in/out adjustment which explains the wheel alignment fix in the Nissan TSB.

I did read somewhere that dampening also is a casue of feathering which may explain the suspension fix.

The tyre feathering noise is very strange. It almost sounds like wheel bearings to me, which is maybe what it's like, a series of flat spots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts