·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again new guy here............

ONE: I've had suggested the following sizes for tires and wheels for my new Z

285/30x20 on 20x 10.5 Axis wheels
255/35x20 on 20x9

TWO: I'm also considering adding springs (a .8 drop overall) and Hoskis Sway-Bars soon....CAN I lower and use the above wheels and tires without worrying about rub or rolling the fenders???

THREE: Making these wheel, Spring and SwayBar changes, how stiff or better yet..."uncomfortable" will the ride become??? I like firm...especially living in the North Georgia mountains.....but not Track firm.

Any help here is desired....anyone done this and what do you think?

Thoughts please.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
My guess would be NO you can't lower it and not worry about rubbing w/ "dubs". There are people here that have rubbing issues with 19 inch rims and hotchkis springs (and I believe a little more narrow wheel as well).

If you are going to be tracking the car, I would seriously reconsider the 20's...... You will lose performance, and rubber for 20" wheels is going to be MEGA expensive :ahhh:

If you are just showing it, slam it-- put those dubs on--roll the fenders or go widebody-- and pimp mad daddy yo. :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
You will be pushing it way too close with a 285 in the rear. Fronts should be fine. With a 1" drop in my rear and 9.5" Axis wheels 295's rubbed before I made it out of the driveway. I think you would probably need to roll the fenders.

I have 19's with springs/sways and I love the ride. It's a little rougher than stock, but I'd also say it's less bouncy. It's not too stiff for every day driving for me. :dunno:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
20s are definitely blinging, and too big for the Z IMO. 19s are as big as you should go and even then tires get very expensive. Those will fit givent the proper offsets.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about no drop with these wheels and tires and just going with the Sway-Bars ????

I'm not really into Tracking or Show to speak of, maybe just running with the local Z club and my own pleasure driving.

It's not a daily driver as I have a Tundra for that and a Liberty of Family stuff.....Z is just a toy/fun car.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
i had 275's in the back....19 inch rims....and lowered 2 inches. i NEVER had any sort of rubbing issues. i think i could have lowered it another inch...or put 20's on the car and still wouldn't have had any problems.

if you really want to lower the car and put 20's on it..just get a tire with even less sidewall. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 19's with springs/sways and I love the ride. It's a little rougher than stock, but I'd also say it's less bouncy. It's not too stiff for every day driving for me.

Love your ride......and the Axis Milanos are super looking. They are not available in 20s and hate to copy but not sure if the Mod & wheel does it for me. Very Very Nice but I like the stronger spoke look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts