Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does everyone think about the 350evo 3.9 final gears?

im curious how this would feel on the butt dyno.. i am also curious how this would affect our top speed.. (currently we cant redline in 6th)

acceleration would definitely improve.. nice little surprise to those that have raced against stock z's

·
Registered
67 Posts
We're already at 3.50 something in the 6 speeds, so it's not a huge jump, but you'll definitely be out of first gear FAST with 350EVO's gears.

I'm REALLY tempted to try them out--but that hangs first on selling the other POS that won't go away and then picking out a new LSD, since our stockers are a weak point on the car.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
u think i should swap the LSD at the same time ? or can that wait for another day?

·
Registered
128 Posts
The gears are totally dependent on what you wanna do with your car. They are directed more towards road racing than anything else. With any mods, you'll likely have to shift to 5th by the end of the 1/4, which would slow you down. For street driving, it'd kinda blow cuz of having to shift even more often than we do now. I'd recommend getting behind the wheel or riding in a STi. They have 3.9-1 gearing and accelerate identically to the Z (well, from 65 to 150) when the Z has 3.5 gears. see kill story for more info. Anyways, it's a good mod to do if you're not huge on drag racing or gas mileage, and YES-- do replace (if you must) the diff while in there doing the gears-- save mad time and $

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Still waiting for word on when the EVO 3.9 final drive I ordered last November will be available.

What LSD do you recommend and about what does it cost? What is wrong with the stock LSD? Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The 350Evo FD should be available next month. The manufacturer wanted to batch ship, hence the delay.

As for the LSD, unless you have a pure track car, I'd stick with the Nismo. The Cusco isn't that streetable, neither is the OS Giken. Kaaz is an optionk, but then again, the Nismo will carry the factory warranty.

I track my car pretty often, and I'll be instlalling the Nismo LSD with the FD at the same time out in Cincinati right before at a Mid-Ohio HPDE in early April. So you all know, 350Evo will be offering a housing swap / core charge with a 350Evo / Nismo diff combo. So all you have to do is swap rear ends instead of dissecting them yourselves.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
How much is EVO charging for the combo 3.9 final drive with Nismo LSD???

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't have the exact price, but they were discussing a core exchange where you would trade rear housings and save several hours in lablor. Definitely a good option since it saves about 3 hours of labor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our 3.9 got delayed....our manufacture has been hit by the industry at the moment. Origianlly we were suppose to have them in house this month. Our manufacture wanted to ship all of our sets at once but we have been able to get them to ship them in smaller groups starting early April.This actually might help as it has stirred a lot of interest from a lot of groups.
We ran a pre odred special back in Nov. but have not taken money as I know there would be some unhappy people out there. Ocne customer has actually paid but wanted the very first one available.
We are frustrated with the situation but its out of our hands at the moment.
What I can say is this......
I ran the first one in my street car for about a month and a half and it made a serious diff in acceleration. the only mods on my car are and Injen intake, exhaust and an ECU reflash. I have been back to the OEM one for awhile and cant wait to get it back in.
We will be doing a combo on the 3.9 FD and Nismo diff.
We will also be doing core swaps and other choices. Installation for this item should be done by a very good installation or race shop.
We will also be offering a swap out to autmatic tranny guys up to the 3.5 found in the manual trans.
We do have a couple of guys that are doing the 3.9 in their autos.
From what I experienced gas mileage wasnt an issue and just to clear the air it doesnt have any effect on the speedo.
If anyone has any questions I am more than happy to answer them.......as far as quarter mile times.......I am not a drag racer by any means.
I do know it makes one **** of a difference on the road courses......for sure!
CHeers
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
3.9 are being heat treated at this time!!! Should be in very soon.
I would say the best bang for the buck with the Diff would be the Nismo. Its more streetable (less chopping in tight turns) and very smooth.
For track use the best diff is the OS giken. puts down the pwer very nicley and is much easier to drive vs. the Cusco we ran last year.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is great news.. I will definitely be adding this to my "to-do" list.. thanks for the updates dwnshift!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Any update on delivery? It's early May now. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
At what speed do you run out of rpms in 4th gear. In other words, at what rpm in 4th do you shift to 5th?

I would think your best 1/4 mile would be in 4th gear. Do you hit the rev limiter? One solution to that is the TechnoSquare ECU custom flash. In addition to changing the fuel mapping and deleting the top speed governor, it increases the redline to 7100 rpm from stock 6600 rpm.

With the 3.9 final drive, you will run out of each gear sooner, so if you have to get into 5th for the 1/4 mile now, you definitely will be using 5th after getting the 3.9 installed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This isn't a drag racing mod in general terms. It may help you daking since you wrap out to 5th neways, but for most of us w/o superman cars, we'd lose time in the 1/4 since we'd have to shift to 5th. However, on the road courses where the real racing is done (just kidding drag racers
), it'll help you stay in your power band and you'll always have a gera that's ready to accelerate HARD

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Wow..That insults everyone in the world except for the rich people who can afford to do "wheel to wheel" racing (which I never heard of)..I guess if your not rich your not cool enough to be at the top of the pyramid...And whoever wrote that can not spell rediculous,not redikulous...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts