Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a base 05 z ..want to go w/ a 3.9 rear end ...but have no LSD. I know I can probably add this option while having mod done for an axtra $150.00 but can it be done w/o it??

BTW anyone know of a good speed shop to have work done in Atlanta?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Save up & have the LSD AND 3.9 final drive done together....otherwise, you're just spinning your wheel(s)....Gains off the line will most probably be lost in (single) wheelspin.

It is much cooler to smoke both tires at once. LSD's are about $1k, as far as I know...& in combination with the 3.9 drive would be a great mod for off the line performance.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Originally posted by koppenj1@Aug 10 2005, 06:28 AM
thanks, so I am looking at about 2k for both?
[snapback]143961[/snapback]​

:goodtimes: depends on where you buy & who does the install...

I think you've got some homework to do. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Performacne IMports in Atlanta can do the install. they are a pro race shop wiht lots of exp.
We have sent them a couple of housings to swap...but they could also do the install of the gearing.
770 457 5550
tell them Wright Tuning Inc sent you...sks 350EVO.com

·
Registered
310 Posts
First, don't do the gears without the LSD. It is just be a waste of labor and you probably won't be able to put the new power to the ground effectively.

Second, why not just buy a pre-built rear-end? www.350EVO.com sells a complete rear pumpkin with 3.9 gears and a Nismo LSD for $2100. They also tack on $650 for a core charge.

When you receive the new pumpkin, you install it. This is something most weekend garage mechanics can do. It should only take a couple hours and really only involves disassembly and assembly. You won't even need to crack open the pumpkin. Once your stock one is out and the new one in, you send the stocker back to 350EVO and they refund your $650 core charge.

IMHO, this is the best way to do the change. Plus, you can take an OS Gilken LSD for only $200 more. I bet they would even allow you to buy a finned aluminum diff cover ($90 at performance nissan) and send it to them before they build your unit. That way, you will get the best of the best in one shot (LSD, gears, and finned diff cover).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Originally posted by peptidbond@Aug 12 2005, 08:51 AM
First, don't do the gears without the LSD. It is just be a waste of labor and you probably won't be able to put the new power to the ground effectively.

Second, why not just buy a pre-built rear-end? www.350EVO.com sells a complete rear pumpkin with 3.9 gears and a Nismo LSD for $2100. They also tack on $650 for a core charge.

When you receive the new pumpkin, you install it. This is something most weekend garage mechanics can do. It should only take a couple hours and really only involves disassembly and assembly. You won't even need to crack open the pumpkin. Once your stock one is out and the new one in, you send the stocker back to 350EVO and they refund your $650 core charge.

IMHO, this is the best way to do the change. Plus, you can take an OS Gilken LSD for only $200 more. I bet they would even allow you to buy a finned aluminum diff cover ($90 at performance nissan) and send it to them before they build your unit. That way, you will get the best of the best in one shot (LSD, gears, and finned diff cover).
[snapback]144901[/snapback]​

What Hunter said!

I got a 3.917 with a Nismo LSD assembled with no core for a VERY good price. All I had to do was swap on my Nismo finned cover, and switch pumpkins.

Not sure it's the best of the best, but I'm happy.

Wish word on the Quaife fitment problems were posted.......

·
Registered
310 Posts
Quaife fitment issues? Do tell me more? I was considering the diff because it is not a clutch plate type (unless I am wrong). In other words, you could get a good mechanic diff (not viscous) but without the popping and crunching of clutch plates.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys ..this is exactly the info I was looking for !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.