Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
350EVO is shipping my 3.9 final drive ratio (ring & pinion) by Federal Express today. I will have it tomorrow and Performance Nissan is installing it on Friday. Just in time for my day at Buttonwillow Raceway on Saturday. Will post a review on Monday.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The parts for the 3.9 final drive ratio came via fed ex from 350EVO today. It includes the Ring, Pinion, shims and bolts. They look like nicely machined parts. It is being installed at Performance Nissan tomorrow. 7 hours labor!!!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by Zxrage@Aug 19 2004, 07:57 PM
If anyone wants to sell their stock 5AT gears after getting this let me know.  Send me a PM if you are interested.  Thanks.

Why would you want the gears from an auto?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN+Aug 19 2004, 06:34 PM-->QUOTE (DiRN @ Aug 19 2004, 06:34 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Zxrage
@Aug 19 2004, 07:57 PM
If anyone wants to sell their stock 5AT gears after getting this let me know.  Send me a PM if you are interested.  Thanks.

Why would you want the gears from an auto?

With a 3.9 gear ratio, you will accelerate faster but you will also have to shift more often and your top speed will be lower than stock.

The manual transmission I believe has a 3.74 ? gear ratio, which provides a little faster acceleration than the 5AT but both will be limited at a top speed of 155mph unless the rev limiter is removed, than in that case, the 5AT would be slightly faster.

For me, I would like to get the 5AT gear ratio of 3.5. The reason being is that I will be pushing well over 500+ rwhp and I do not want to have to shift that often. Also considering that I will have more than enough power to accelerate just as fast (if not faster) than most of the other Z's with higher gear ratios. I also would like to have a higher top speed for each gear, for instance, I want to hit 60mph while in second gear (without shifting into 3rd.) to obtain fast 0-60 times for bragging right purposes.

That is why I am looking for a 5AT rear differential, so I can mate it to a Nismo LSD.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stock 6MT is somewhere between 3.5 and 3.6. The 3.9 final drive will improve acceleration by about 10% in all gears, and reduce top speed by about 10%. So instead of 180 mph, the car will go "only" 165 mph. If you have the stock speed governor, you can't go over 156 mph anyway, so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another Delay !!!

After Performance Nissan told me they had their best mechanic scheduled to install my 3.9 final drive ratio (ring & pinion) today, I called them mid-afternoon to see how it was going. They told the mechanic didn't feel "comforatable" doing the job, and their really really best mechanic who has done one before is out today and can do the work Monday.

So I don't get to test the 3.9 out on the racetrack tomorrow. I'll just go with my stock rear end. Azzes

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I feel your pain.

I don't understand why even 'good' dealer svc. depts. lie...

and/or don't call when there's a problem. Don't feel too bad, Ricj=hard, they kept my car an extra day cause their 'best' tech couldn't install my f#[email protected]! FOOTREST!!!!

Since I've been biulding & maintaining my own 'old school' fleet for the past 10 or so yrs., I was unprepared for the dealer service (like jumbo shrimp) jack around I got when I came off the sidelines & bought the Z.

& aren't you used to your car being in the shop by now anyway?.....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by Richard 350z@Aug 20 2004, 06:19 PM
Another Delay !!! 

After Performance Nissan told me they had their best mechanic scheduled to install my 3.9 final drive ratio (ring & pinion) today, I called them mid-afternoon to see how it was going.  They told the mechanic didn't feel "comforatable" doing the job, and their really really best mechanic who has done one before is out today and can do the work Monday.

So I don't get to test the 3.9 out on the racetrack tomorrow.  I'll just go with my stock rear end.  Azzes 

Sorry to hear that. I spoke to BJ on Thursday, and we were chatting about the labor involved in aligning the ring and pinion in the rear end. Something to the extent of 6-7 hours. That's like opening up a transmission...
This is why I'd rather have 350Evo just do the entire rear assembly for me... but you don't have that luxury since you already have the Nismo diff. Are they going to try and reinstall it next week? Oh, and have fun at the track!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts