Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I simply install the 3.5 Final Drive into the stock 5AT pumpkin?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody?

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Cool. So what exactly are you asking? Are you asking if you can do the install yourself or if you need to have someone install it for you?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just want4ed to know if I could have the gears just dropped in or do I need to get a new LSD

·
Registered
131 Posts
i thought the 3.5 was the stock final drive....OIC you have an AT....very good then...

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the LSD used with each transmission is identical, so you shouldn't need to change that, but you should give the guys at Performance a call and ask them since they are the ones selling it.

And out of curiousity, why do you want to do this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking changing this plus the VB and TC might let me shift in full auto. plus give me more pull

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
VB? TC?

And you have more pull, but wouldn't you have it for less time since you go through the gears faster?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by DiRN@Nov 27 2004, 09:56 AM
VB?  TC?

And you have more pull, but wouldn't you have it for less time since you go through the gears faster?

valvebody = VB and torqueconverter = TC

yes you wll go thought the gears fast and loose some top end

Nissan 3.5 ring and pinion that is standard in the manual 6 speed 350Z's and G35's. Installing this ring and pinion in a non 6-speed car increases accelaration by reducing the rear end ratio by about 6%. This upgrade is very popular with automatic 350Z's that want more acceleration without costly engine upgrades.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well when I got my car being 6'2" its hard to shift so I went with the auto

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by pumpedva@Nov 29 2004, 11:42 AM
well when I got my car being 6'2" its hard to shift so I went with the auto

I'm the same height (mostly legs) and had no trouble shifting the one time I drove a manual Z

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by Dwnshift@Dec 7 2004, 09:40 AM
You will need a LSD from a 6spd rear end because the offset on the ring gear is differnt. It is easier to swap and entire pumpkin,
any ?'s drop me an email
[email protected]

Are you saying it's easier to swap the tranny (and everything else that would need to be swapped) than to change the gearing and swap the LSD?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He is saying its just easyer to find a 6MT pumpkin and add the final drive

·
Registered
351 Posts
Mmmm.. Pumpkin....

Wasn't there an upgrade for the 6 speed that bumped the gearing by 10% or something? why not go straight to that?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
he doesn't have a 6 speed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts