Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences between these 2 engines besides the plenum?

I've heard of people talking about hi rev motors. are they talking about the 300hp edition with the 7200rpm redline?

also some people on this forum have had there ecu flashed to raise the rev limter besides just tuning it.

can the 287 hp version rev up to 7200 rpm? is the reason the 300hp version revving up to 7200rpm due to the cams making more power in this area. ive always wanted to know the answers to these questions.

and as far as motordyne plenum spacer (any one represent them in here?) do you know why skunk2 went with a 5/8 plenum spacer? are they just trying to out do everyone? why did they go this thick? any benifits? everyone seems to be happy with motordyne so far and half the people who installed the skunk2( i almost did also) had some sort of issue. besides the plenum will be my next upgrade. do different plenum thicknesses or difference between brands crate power in different power bands. i mean like some give mid range while others give top end. or do they all perform the same with the exeption on the thickness.

I dont auto cross(maybe i should someday) so id rather choose products that will give me more power between redline shifts and not midrange power. more mid to top end. i want all parts to work together. no mixing midrange power parts with top end parts. anyone have any ideas here? experience from installed parts please!!

Thanks

almost forgot. I have the base model Z

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
there are 35 differences between the two motors.

from the pistons, to rod bolts, to exhaust cam being variable.

if you research on the differences between spacer thickness. You will find out that after 1/8" , the change is minor. But then you have to worry about your stb and hood needing spaced.

high rev = 7200 rpm motor

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ills I can always count on you replying!

Thanks.
But is it really that different or 35 slight diferences in the car?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
big difference

one revs to 7000rpm making power right up to redline

one revs to 6600rpm but stopped making power and starting running coarse at 6200 :nana:

power difference is neglible because the 300hp uses shorter intake runners to maximise power up high and lose power down low, the 287hp uses longer intake runners and vice versa power delivery. So the power delivery would be the biggest difference, with the 300hp feeling peaky. The other major difference which i think is more important is how much smoother the engine is at high rpm

re motordyne vs skunk2, skunk seem to use a material which prevents heat build up inside the plenum. Motordyne do the same thing using thermal gaskets and a copper throttle body valve thing. Same **** different smell. Id go with Motordyne personally, its cheaper to boot and Tony from MD is a known face on alot of Z boards

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
big difference

That is a joke.

Big difference? Come on. :lmfao:

Define 'Big' I'd say 20whp is a big difference. I'd say 1 sec quicker in the 400m is a big difference.

What I define as a 'Slight' difference.. would be the 300hp vs. 287hp. And an extra 400rpm which can be had with an ECU reflash/cams.

At peak torque(4800rpm for both engines), the old engine is producing ~13hp more than the new one... and everytime you are under 6200rpm the old engine pulls harder. The new engine does pull to 7000rpm. So after 6200 rpm.. yes the new engine pulls harder.

More great info:

1. the old engine puts down power faster from 0-6200 rpm in ANY gear, in 1st to 6th. More torque means just that, *produces power in less time*.
2. at 6400 rpm rev-up engine is producing 246 lbft torque... at 6200 rpm old engine is producing 243lbft torque
3. at peak torque(4800rpm)... old engine is already producing 250hp... at peak torque(4800rpm)... rev-up is producing 237hp

HP
[email protected] rpm
[email protected] rpm (it may rev to 7k stock, but doesn't make any more power)

TORQUE
[email protected] (old dated motor)
[email protected] (new rev-up motor)

I would have gotten a track model.. but I didn't want to pay the extra $5000us as I didn't want the brembos , etc.. Either way it's a great engine. Not that big of a difference. :) Unless you want to get technical... :nana:

·
Registered
158 Posts
+1. The difference is very minor when driving in the streets, but driving at a track would magnify the differences IMHO. You might see the "new Z" pull away from the "old Z" on a track with long straights. On the othe hand, the"old Z" might have better lap times on an AutoX. It all depends on what you want. Would you want more pulling power (old motor), or more top-end power (new motor)? I preferred the torque of my 04 so I decided to keep it instead of getting the new one.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
hrmm.. with the mods that I have done... i have no problem pulling past the 6600 old redline on the track.. and no other Z's are passing me :)

In fact.. i've been out with the rev up motor.. and I didn't notice a difference. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
the main difference would have to be the variable timing on the exhaust.....anytime internal engine architecture gets changed that warrants 'big' difference imo

when BMW switched from single vanos (intake only) to double vanos (intake + exhaust), it was heralded as a major engine upgrade by the motoring press

im not talking difference in speed, but having said that, the 300hp has proved to offer even greater gains for the same mods :cheers:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
some one e-mailed me from one of the other forums and said he has an ecu flash (i thought he had the hi rev motor the entire time) on his track model and his redline is now at 7100rpm.
he drag races and is breathing on 12's

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
yeah ive read guys going to 7500rpm on the 300hp with a flash

12s N.A. isnt too believable imo, unless its a stripped out racer
A few (read 2) have made it into 12's with drag radials.

low 13's (alberto) with bolt ons , stock headers and stock cylinder head. (13.10 i think)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts